Author Topic: Henry's Lake  (Read 17066 times)

Offline MNiceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Henry's Lake
« Reply #150 on: Dec 12, 2014, 02:04 PM »
I'm headed up Sunday and was wondering if the sate park is open to drive into?  Thanks for any info
Always remember, keep your stick on the ice- Red & Green

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #151 on: Dec 12, 2014, 03:04 PM »
Yes it is open and the road is good . You can drive in , in 2 wheel drive .
Catch'em and Eat'em

Offline Njdiverdan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #152 on: Dec 12, 2014, 03:37 PM »
Curt69,

Where is it in the regs that a kids fish count towards the adults creel?  I have been looking through the regs and cannot find it.  Never heard of it before either?

Thanks,

-dan

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #153 on: Dec 12, 2014, 04:27 PM »
I don't have a set of regulations with me , but it has always been that way for non residents .
Catch'em and Eat'em

Offline Groundtrac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #154 on: Dec 12, 2014, 04:36 PM »
Page 11 of the regs. If under 14 nonresident children fishing without a license have to count their limit in with the adult OR the child can buy a nonresident license and have their own limit.

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #155 on: Dec 12, 2014, 04:50 PM »
Thanks Groundtrac
Catch'em and Eat'em

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #156 on: Dec 13, 2014, 03:23 PM »
My group fished 5 hours and landed 10 fish at the Hatchery . Very slow , we had 20 rods out .
Catch'em and Eat'em

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #157 on: Dec 13, 2014, 03:48 PM »
I have had more than one occasion where the store worker was having a hard time getting the machine to work. Took 6 of us 2 hrs to get our licence's in bancroft one time. 

I've had that happen once, well, actually twice, the first and last time, ever. 

After about 45 minutes, I asked if my old license would help.    They "scaned" the code on an old license, just like magic, the printer began.    Was out of there within 4 minutes.    Just before I left, I was graciously thanked for bringing in the old license.     :thumbsup:

Offline Watfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #158 on: Dec 13, 2014, 05:34 PM »
Hey Curt heading up tomorrow, what were they biting on has anyone been fishing stump hole

Offline Njdiverdan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #159 on: Dec 13, 2014, 06:48 PM »
Thanks for the regs guys. Just applies to non-residents. 

Headed up tomorrow morning.  We plan on heading to county. 

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #160 on: Dec 13, 2014, 07:04 PM »
They bit on jigs tipped with bait . Very slow fishing . Hopefully when the storm passes the fishing will pick up . If I was fishing tomorrow I would fish Stayleys Springs .   Not in the springs out about 50 yards . I have to go home and celebrate my 30th wedding anniversary on Monday .
Catch'em and Eat'em

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • C'mon Sub-Zeros! Tēm Hîpē FySh <°]))}{
« Reply #161 on: Dec 14, 2014, 12:26 AM »
Congrats on 30 years Curt, thats awesome :tipup: We'll b out tomorrow, can't wait slow or not! That station I had refered to before does not sell licenses but the fly shop just a bit west does. Got mine online however so thanks again to everyone for the info! :icefish:

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #162 on: Dec 15, 2014, 12:02 PM »
Looks like we'll finally make it up there this weekend, Friday night/Saturday.  Had to pay for two nights in the little plumbing-next-door cabin (right on the lake) in order to stay one, but we won't be using it Saturday night.  PM me for a cheap/free room for Saturday night.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline Matttracy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #163 on: Dec 15, 2014, 07:58 PM »
Is that an open offer for anyone on the room?

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #164 on: Dec 15, 2014, 09:12 PM »
Is that an open offer for anyone on the room?

That was the idea, but I already got a PM and the room is now booked up for Saturday night.  Good luck!
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline Doofus22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #165 on: Dec 17, 2014, 06:03 PM »
I have never been to Henry's before, and was wondering where would be a good spot to fish? I am going up on the 23rd, with my wife and a couple of friends, and was also wondering if there is much snow on the ice? We will just be walking because my 4 wheeler is only 2 wheel drive right now.
Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Offline hooknhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #166 on: Dec 17, 2014, 06:10 PM »
I don't know if there is a bad place, but I like to look for an area with fewer weeds.  It may take drilling a few holes to find that, or you may get lucky and nail it the first try.  Popular places with relatively easy access are the State Park, County Boat ramp, Pintail Point, the Hatchery, and in front of the Wild Rose.  Staley springs is also very popular, but you'd need to walk there from either the county boat ramp or pintail point.  If I was going to walk there I'd go from the county boat dock.

Once you get there, look for the other people, or look for obvious places others have fished.

Offline MNiceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #167 on: Dec 17, 2014, 10:53 PM »
So what are they biting on?

Offline hooknhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #168 on: Dec 18, 2014, 06:56 AM »
I tried several types of jigs, spoons, and baits.  I'd say smaller jigs (white or pink) tipped with meal worm, paddle bugs in pink or white did pretty good.  One afternoon a guy came down and did as good as anyone and better than most on Berkeley crappie jigs (bubble gum).  I caught most of my fish jigging a Thomas Bouyant in rainbow trout color.  I caught my biggest fish on a Firetiger Jiggin Rap.  Seems everything works and nothing works really well.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #169 on: Dec 18, 2014, 11:30 PM »
Heading over Friday through Sunday. Otter resort behind a wheeler. Stop by and say hi. Tight lines, Joe

Offline MNiceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #170 on: Dec 19, 2014, 01:18 PM »
My wife and I are out here green ish hut farthest out from state park. We will be back next Friday. Doing great so far. My wife has her best fish ever. Over 5 lbs!

Offline Groundtrac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #171 on: Dec 19, 2014, 01:27 PM »
Thats's awesome! Has it snowed much there today?

Offline MNiceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #172 on: Dec 19, 2014, 09:55 PM »
Not much at all just a little windy. Can't wait to get back tomorrow

Offline Groundtrac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #173 on: Dec 20, 2014, 05:50 PM »
We fished around the State dock today, went way out along the east shore.  Fishing started off hot then died completely.  We moved to another spot, only marked a couple of fish and only had a couple of bites.  Moved again closer to the dock area where the masses were and hardly marked any, but managed to land a small brookie and one real nice 3.5 lb Cutt.  While I was cleaning him just now, in his gut was a 4.5" sculpin, hardly digested.  My question is, why can't I ever catch anything on big bait?  This one hit on the smallest jig I was using.  I have tried fishing with crawdad and sculpin size lures before and have never caught anything on them up there?  Any ideas?  BTW, I put the sculpin in the freezer and plan to use him next time out.  :)

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • C'mon Sub-Zeros! Tēm Hîpē FySh <°]))}{
« Reply #174 on: Dec 20, 2014, 11:39 PM »
My question is, why can't I ever catch anything on big bait?  This one hit on the smallest jig I was using.  I have tried fishing with crawdad and sculpin size lures before and have never caught anything on them up there?  Any ideas? 

same here   ??? I just stick with the small stuff.. use flies like scuds or shrimp

Offline MNiceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #175 on: Dec 21, 2014, 12:27 AM »
We were using 1/16 oz jugs with pink paddle bugs today and had hits all day long but they would get off at the ice. Really frustrating!

Offline hooknhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #176 on: Dec 21, 2014, 11:30 AM »
My question is, why can't I ever catch anything on big bait?  This one hit on the smallest jig I was using.  I have tried fishing with crawdad and sculpin size lures before and have never caught anything on them up there?  Any ideas?  BTW, I put the sculpin in the freezer and plan to use him next time out.  :)

I'm not sure what you are using or how you are fishing it, but I catch fish on what I'd call 'big baits' all the time.  In fact, when I'm dead sticking that seems to be the best bait for me is a big one.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #177 on: Dec 21, 2014, 10:28 PM »
i hit up Henry's for a regrettably short day last tuesday (Dec. 16th) caught one nice 16 1/2" cutthroat right off the bat, then had nothing but nibbles the rest of the day. managed to hook another one on a dead rod just before we left, but it broke the line at the hole.

i got hit more jigging with a tiny rattle trap than anything else, just couldn't get any of them to stick, and once they touched it they were gone for good. we were using white and glow jigs with bits of nightcrawler on the dead rods.

Offline MNiceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #178 on: Dec 25, 2014, 02:23 PM »
Is anyone headed up to give it a try tomorrow?  With this wonderful snow we are getting?

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #179 on: Dec 25, 2014, 02:46 PM »
I will be out Saturday . I wish I could get a report on how much snow is on the ice . I want to use my 4 wheeler .
Catch'em and Eat'em

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.