Author Topic: Humminbird 898 on the quad  (Read 3809 times)

Offline big 12

• IceShanty Rookie
Humminbird 898 on the quad
« on: Sep 29, 2014, 05:08 PM »
Thinking about putting my 898 on the ATV so I can use lake master. Anyone ever try this?

Offline dani

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Humminbird 898 on the quad
« Reply #1 on: Sep 30, 2014, 10:57 AM »
I have navionics gold and use it all the time, works great. I put it over the speedo with the gps on and drive to  selected location, zoom in and it's pin point accuracy. Saves a lot of time and helps with way points and returning  to vehicle in the dark. Dani

Offline tswoboda

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 02, 2014, 02:51 PM »
I put my HDS5 on my snowmobile

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 02, 2014, 08:23 PM »
I'm thinking of doing the same this year and buying a 596 humming bird and lake master chips
Never to many short poles

Offline Mr. Freeze Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 02, 2014, 09:48 AM »
Very easy to do...and you will never go back to a handheld GPS again!  You will need to purchase a ram mount handlebar mount and ram mount fish locator mount. Make sure you get the heavy duty model probably 1.5" ball so the unit will stand straight up and not fall down when moving. I used the 798 last year but upgraded to the 959 this year. The only issue will be wiring the unit to the machine. Take the power cable that comes with the unit and either wire directly to the machine or I wired a plug so I can move from 4-wheeler to snowmobile. Make sure you fuse the + side of cable with a 3amp fuse.     

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #5 on: Nov 02, 2014, 11:28 AM »
My Humminbird 597 goes on my ATV handle bar in winter. Works great with a Lakemaster chip.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #6 on: Nov 02, 2014, 11:42 AM »
I have a Lowrance Mark-4 with Navionics on my snowmobile, love it!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 02, 2014, 07:13 PM »
I have the Mark 5 on my ATV with just the GPS only, just like Bart. I love it, don't know how I fish without. I've been marking ice fishing spots for a month.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Nov 05, 2014, 06:07 PM »
Very easy to do...and you will never go back to a handheld GPS again! 

X2

WS

Offline pole_smoker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane!!!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2015, 07:48 PM »
Was hoping someone could send me a pic of the rear of the humminbird atv handlebar mount. What will I need to get it all installed and running. Will be running from bars of my sled to the machines battery. just can not figure out what comes with the mount to secure the head unit to the mount. What I am trying to achieve is using my humminbird 597 ci hd as s gps and once I arrive at my fishing spot, quick disconnect the head unit and place it onto my humminbird portable ice pack to then use it in my shanty as my fishfinder. Was going to order humminbird atv mounting kit part number 740116-1. The kit appears to contain a power cord to run to my battery but what if anything else do I need to order to complete the project. Thanks in advance. I am in Ohio and ice fishing support round these parts is zero. PS

Offline pole_smoker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 03, 2015, 01:11 PM »
Any one able to help me out?? Hoping to use my mount my hummingbird on my sled bars, quick disconnect it out it in my ice pack and use the sonar on it. Just what so I need to be able to quick disconnect it??? Or are the parts included with the atv mount to make it work?? TIA PS

Offline Ice_Addict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 04, 2015, 09:44 PM »
The kit you mentioned should be all you need. It will come with the u bolt that goes around your handlebar, the Ram mount, the quick disconnect that your head unit plugs into and a power cord that has a cigarette lighter plug on it. I did the same thing you have in mind 2 yrs ago. But, I've since found that it's a PITA taking the head unit on and off all the time. So I've been just resting mine between my legs when traveling. Plus, I had trouble with the cigarette power plug wiggling loose in transit and killing the power to the Bird. Then I'd have to stop and power up the Bird again. You could hard wire it directly to your battery to eliminate that though.

I actually just mounted a bucket on my front rack to put my Bird in and cut an area out so I can see the screen while driving. Now I can really stay mobile, not have to shut my sonar/gps off and have both hands on the handlebars instead of holding it.

Offline pole_smoker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2015, 09:54 PM »
Thanks... I ordered up a kit, it came with a cord for hard wiring and another for cig plug. I will be hard wiring the power to my sled battery. I kind of went backwards from you. Did the holding thing then got tired of that last year, so made a decision to mount it to my bars after being in a terrible storm last year on Lake Erie in the dark and really needed to keep my eyes peeled ahead of me. Since I am on a sled there is no front rack so bars felt best for me. Thanks for the response!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.