Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Tungsten Jigs  (Read 1660 times)

Offline BRIFISH

• Team IceShanty Regular
Tungsten Jigs
« on: Sep 23, 2014, 10:14 AM »
Are tungsten jigs necessary for fishing most ponds in Iowa, i rarely run more than 12-15'

Offline Lyontyl

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Tungsten Jigs
« Reply #1 on: Sep 23, 2014, 12:48 PM »
Necessary? No

But having tungsten will help you become a more versatile and well rounded ice fisherman.  I don't recall last season ever using any jig that wasn't made of tungsten.  The big thing with tungsten is that it's dense and it helps you get your lure down faster.  When you have a school of gills/crappie/perch come through you want to captilize by getting the lure down there fast. 

If someone asked me what they needed to ice fish I wouldn't tell them they have to have tungsten.  But, if they asked me what I would recommend I would say tungsten.

Offline diesel2012

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Sep 23, 2014, 03:17 PM »
Tried tungsten last year. Can't say I thought they were the next great thing. They get ya down the hole faster but be careful, I ended up breaking off more than a couple hooks on them. I guess they are soldered on instead of the jig being poured onto the hook. Correct me if I'm wrong on that but that's my understanding. Just so you know I wasn't using pliers or forceps to remove the hooks, just straightening them after unhooking a fish when they broke.

Basically comes down to whether or not you want to spend the money on them.

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Sep 23, 2014, 04:32 PM »
I like them in the very small size not sure What the actual weight is but there the smallest ones in my box and I have a heck of a time tieing them on there so small especially with cold fingers but they seem to work when nothing else will

Offline anderson_dc

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Sep 24, 2014, 07:26 AM »
Buy a couple and see if it is something which will work for the way you fish.

Do NOT treat them like a standard lead jig when you are removing the hook from a fish's mouth or trying to open up the gap of the hook.  The hooks will break as they are a different temper than the standard hooks which come on lead jigs.

Personally, I haven't fished anything but tungsten jigs for the last 6-7 years unless I'm fishing spoons.  The command tungsten gives you, the greater density which allows you to get down quicker, as well as the smaller profile but equivalent weight as similar lead jigs are just some of the reasons why I made the switch from lead.

Hope this helps and good luck this upcoming season.

Offline ramdriver

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bring on the ice.
« Reply #5 on: Sep 24, 2014, 02:44 PM »
I realy like the tungsten jigs for there quick response while jigging and when first getting to desired depth. I wouldn't say that's all I use but have several in the tackle box.

Offline brittlab

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • HARD WATER ROCKS
« Reply #6 on: Oct 01, 2014, 07:41 PM »
Agree with all the positive comments made about  tungsten jigs. I have found a few manufactures who have a noticeable difference in the number of broken hooks. I will be trying out a few new manufacturers this winter as wel.

See you on the frozen pond.......Mike

Offline pisces

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 01, 2014, 08:03 PM »
There is supposed to be a hook remover recommended for tungsten jigs . It's called a toothpick I haven't used one yet but I will be getting one, if it will save on broken hooks. I saw that  Cabela's has it for $2.19 definitely worth a try at that price.

Offline Trump

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 03, 2014, 10:28 AM »
Looked at that toothpick dealy....what a joke its a stick.....that's it. how can companies even market that kind of stuff.  I googled toothpick for tungsten jigs and the second had it for over $4 marked down from $7.  A pack of wood toothpicks would probably do just as well or they make plastic picks as well.  Okay I'm done

Offline BRIFISH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 03, 2014, 11:11 AM »
yeah the toothpick thing looks dumb...i will just dip my forceps in some rubber coating.  Should be just fine.

Offline Iowan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Oct 04, 2014, 11:49 AM »
As said, biggest advantage is the weight, which is great when on a school or hot bite.
Catch a man a fish and feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime.

Offline ramdriver

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bring on the ice.
« Reply #11 on: Oct 04, 2014, 10:00 PM »
I also found the hooks to be very brittle with one particular brand sent an email to manufacture a couple times but got no response so I decided to no longer support any of there tackle.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Oct 05, 2014, 01:12 PM »
Only time I use them is when I'm fishing deeper water 25+ fow and need to use a smaller jig.  Get's you down there faster and puts more fish on the ice if a school comes through.  Small lead jigs you fight to get them down there even using 2lb line.  The hooks are the problem and it takes more time to unhook the fish because you don't wanna screw up your 4 dollar jig.  I'm still on the fence with them but don't get me wrong they have their time and their place just like everything I guess.

Offline swiafishingfool

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Oct 05, 2014, 03:05 PM »
I used tungsten jigs last year for the first time. I agree with some of the post on here that they are very brital and easy to break off when fishing them, but I love having the for those days when the gills are moving fast and furious. 1) they get down fast to keep the school in one central location. 2) they work great for bouncing off the bottom and attracting fish to bite.

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Oct 05, 2014, 04:04 PM »
I see a lot of posts stating the hooks are breaking on them, I never broke a hook on one yet myself but its bound to happen sooner or later, I dont know for sure how the tungsten jigs are made but I read a post that says there solderd on, the hooks may be breaking because of this, maybe the tungsten has to be very hot to solder them and this added heat is changing the temper of the hook and making them brittle ?? I wouldnt be to happy if I were to loose a nice fish because the hook broke  :P

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.