Author Topic: HumminBird's NEW ICE Machine  (Read 23992 times)

Offline Yankee Troller

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: HumminBird's NEW ICE Machine
« Reply #30 on: Jan 29, 2015, 05:41 AM »
Hey Yankee Troller,
thanks for the information and the heads up on the maps....sweet!
I'm picking up my HB 688CI ICE tomorrow, and needed to get up to speed on this for the weekend.

There really isn't a whole lot of feedback I could find on this model yet.

It's to new I guess! :)

Few buddies have picked them up, or are picking them up soon. It's been solid. The Lakemaster map card is a little more advanced than the Navionics I have, and I have the Platinum+ Navionics. Lakemaster opens up a whole other set of options I didn't have with my Navionics.

If you search YouTube there is a little bit to get you going with the 688. The Technological Angler has a couple of nice videos. If you're used to Humminbird menus you'll have no issues. If you're not then check out those videos.
Clam Pro & Yukon TC
Humminbird ICE55 & ICE HELIX 7
Thorne Bros Custom Ice Rods - Quiverstick, Power Noodle, Perch Sweetheart, Med Walleye Sweetheart, MH Walleye Sweetheart, and Deadstick
Daiwa Laguna Reels
Strikemaster 10" Lazer Pro & 6" Lazer
Ice Fishing Innovations Rod Locker

Offline Chadx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Jan 29, 2015, 03:56 PM »
We picked up our 688CI ice a couple weeks ago and have used it three times. We absolutely love it.

Putting it all together was a bit tedious so don't do it in a hurry the morning before you are heading out. And make sure you fully charge the battery the first time, though mine was fully charged as the charger changed from yellow to green in less than a minute. Battery time has been great, though I've only used it a few hours at a time; the battery has barely gone down each time.

Plugging in and unplugging the battery leads each time is a pain as is clipping on the chargers alligator clips. There is just no room for hands in there. I'm going to make two 5" jumper leads that hang down where they are easier to get at. It's tight in that battery compartment. Note for first time assembly; they say to put it in the case and then put in the battery. No room to do that. Definitely insert your battery and strap it in first, and then put the whole works into the carrying case.

I've used it in Sonar and Flasher mode and much prefer the Sonar mode so I can see the "history" rather than it only showing live data like in flasher mode. I changed the background to black rather than white, which is much easier on the eyes. Saved three modes in the three favorite buttons (flasher, sonar, and sonar magnify). It's easy to change sensitivity and set up and lower bounds if you want to magnify your target area. My wife, you had never used a flasher before, also prefers the Sonar screen rather than flasher.

My Lakemaster chip arrives today so that will add even more functionality allowing us to walk or ATV to the contours I want. Also saving waypoints directly into the bird rather than my handheld GPS. One thing to note is there is only one chip slot and when you save waypoints, they save to your head unit and not the chip. You do NOT want to export waypoints to your lakemaster chip. You'll want to put in a separate chip and export to that if you want to move waypoints or back them up on your computer, etc.  For my handheld GPS, I name waypoints what the water depth is in that spot. For example "28.7". That way, when I look at the waypoint on a map, even if there are no contours, I know the depth in that spot. Won't be as big of a deal now that the waypoints will be on a contour map, but it was great for saving on a gps that didn't have contours.

Anxious to try the lakemaster chip this Sunday. Going to a lake I've not been on and willl help me narrow down spots. When you first get on the lake and are using gps and topo map, turn off your sonar in the menu. Then turn it back on once you plug in your transducer and it's in the water.

Offline MadPerry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 29, 2015, 04:39 PM »
Few buddies have picked them up, or are picking them up soon. It's been solid. I'd say the only drawback is the reported target separation of the Humminbird compared to what Marcum and Vexilar are reporting. Humminbird seems to have a larger target separation, but 1" or 2" if the fish is that close you're watching to rod tip or feeling for the bite. The Lakemaster map card is a little more advanced than the Navionics I have, and I have the Platinum+ Navionics. Lakemaster opens up a whole other set of options I didn't have with my Navionics.

If you search YouTube there is a little bit to get you going with the 688. The Technological Angler has a couple of nice videos. If you're used to Humminbird menus you'll have no issues. If you're not then check out those videos.
After your reply, I found a place I buy from frequently that has the Lakemaster card on backorder.  It was LESS than all versions of navionics, to my surprise.  For a superior product, it was a nice surprise.  I'll have that as soon as they come in.  Can't wait to plug it in to this Helix unit.

I have noticed that I need to have an sd card inserted into a Helix unit to save screenshots or gps locations.  There is only one micro sd slot available.  Is there additional storage area available on the Lakemaster cards to store waypoints, screenshots, etc..?

Offline MadPerry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 29, 2015, 05:43 PM »
Just got a shipping notification on the micro sd w/adapter Lakemaster card for the Northeast!  That was fast.  Can't wait to use it! 

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Jan 29, 2015, 05:49 PM »
I have the Lakemaster card in my Humminbird; it can't be written to. I also have the Navionics card in my hand held GPS. Also cannot be written to.
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline C.A.M.O.

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "CLOSED TODAY" Gone Ice Fishing!
« Reply #35 on: Jan 30, 2015, 05:10 AM »
Got my new 688 ci yesterday, put all together last night, I wasn't really expecting all that work, but got through it fine.
And yes it was a bit  tedious.....lol  Also found a little trick to get the battery and foam pad in correctly.

Going to use it this weekend, I'm confident that it will perform great, hope to get back with good new on it.
As far as maps, all I have right now is the phone app for Navionics. So need to get up to speed on the different lake maps.
Clam Tundra
Humminbird ICE 688ci HD
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 XP
2015 Polaris Adventure 144 550

Offline Yankee Troller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 30, 2015, 05:37 AM »
We picked up our 688CI ice a couple weeks ago and have used it three times. We absolutely love it.

Putting it all together was a bit tedious so don't do it in a hurry the morning before you are heading out. And make sure you fully charge the battery the first time, though mine was fully charged as the charger changed from yellow to green in less than a minute. Battery time has been great, though I've only used it a few hours at a time; the battery has barely gone down each time.

Plugging in and unplugging the battery leads each time is a pain as is clipping on the chargers alligator clips. There is just no room for hands in there. I'm going to make two 5" jumper leads that hang down where they are easier to get at. It's tight in that battery compartment. Note for first time assembly; they say to put it in the case and then put in the battery. No room to do that. Definitely insert your battery and strap it in first, and then put the whole works into the carrying case.

I've used it in Sonar and Flasher mode and much prefer the Sonar mode so I can see the "history" rather than it only showing live data like in flasher mode. I changed the background to black rather than white, which is much easier on the eyes. Saved three modes in the three favorite buttons (flasher, sonar, and sonar magnify). It's easy to change sensitivity and set up and lower bounds if you want to magnify your target area. My wife, you had never used a flasher before, also prefers the Sonar screen rather than flasher.

My Lakemaster chip arrives today so that will add even more functionality allowing us to walk or ATV to the contours I want. Also saving waypoints directly into the bird rather than my handheld GPS. One thing to note is there is only one chip slot and when you save waypoints, they save to your head unit and not the chip. You do NOT want to export waypoints to your lakemaster chip. You'll want to put in a separate chip and export to that if you want to move waypoints or back them up on your computer, etc.  For my handheld GPS, I name waypoints what the water depth is in that spot. For example "28.7". That way, when I look at the waypoint on a map, even if there are no contours, I know the depth in that spot. Won't be as big of a deal now that the waypoints will be on a contour map, but it was great for saving on a gps that didn't have contours.

Anxious to try the lakemaster chip this Sunday. Going to a lake I've not been on and willl help me narrow down spots. When you first get on the lake and are using gps and topo map, turn off your sonar in the menu. Then turn it back on once you plug in your transducer and it's in the water.

I will concur that the time putting it together was a bit longer than I expected, but with a new toy it's kinda exciting. Don't think you will pull it out of the box and go fishing.

I have talked with my guy at Humminbird about reaching the battery to put it on charge. They are aware of that issue. I think the short leads are a great idea. I might go that route. Currently, I'm pulling the cover back and going in from the top when I put it on charge. My ICE55 case is much easier to hook the battery up when charging.
Clam Pro & Yukon TC
Thorne Bros Custom Ice Rods - Quiverstick, Power Noodle, Perch Sweetheart, Med Walleye Sweetheart, MH Walleye Sweetheart, and Deadstick
Daiwa Laguna Reels

Offline Yankee Troller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 30, 2015, 05:40 AM »
If you guys are using sonar mode make sure you activate, if it isn't already, the Real Time Sonar (RTS) screen. It's basically a vertical flasher on the right side of the screen.

Speed up your scroll speed to the fastest setting.

You can also take the backlight down to 2-3, and this should make battery life even better!
Clam Pro & Yukon TC
Daiwa Laguna Reels

Offline Chadx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Jan 30, 2015, 03:35 PM »
...Also found a little trick to get the battery and foam pad in correctly.

Care to share? As I mentioned earlier, the instructions say to put the cradle into the case and then install the battery. Bad order in my opinion. I took the cradle back out of the case and installed the battery. Fast and easy then by first tucking the foam into the hole and then easing in the battery (rather than holding the foam onto the bottom of the battery and trying to slide both in at once).

Share your trick! I'm curious...Thanks.

Offline Chadx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Jan 30, 2015, 03:38 PM »
I have talked with my guy at Humminbird about reaching the battery to put it on charge. They are aware of that issue. I think the short leads are a great idea. I might go that route.

Glad they are aware. I'm going to make the leads. I have a box of the male and femal connectors in the same size as provided (with the shrinkwrap already on them) so should only take 5 minutes to solder some wire between. Will be well worth it.

Offline Chadx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Jan 30, 2015, 03:48 PM »
If you guys are using sonar mode make sure you activate, if it isn't already, the Real Time Sonar (RTS) screen. It's basically a vertical flasher on the right side of the screen.

Speed up your scroll speed to the fastest setting.

You can also take the backlight down to 2-3, and this should make battery life even better!

All great tips. I hadn't considered turning down the backlight since my half day trips barely showed a battery discharge. Great tip for those longer day or multi-day trips!

I did change my background to black rather than the default white. I did it because it's easier on the eyes. It does not, however, save any battery power since these are LCD screens and charge the pixel even when blocked to show "black" unlike an AMOLED screens which black uses no power because the pixel isn't turned on (hence why my smartphone background is a "true black" image. But I digress).

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Jan 30, 2015, 06:45 PM »
Would changing the background to black inherently improve battery life as the screen is less lit? My 9ah battery lasts a day and a half on my 385ci with the white background and GPS active .
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline C.A.M.O.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Jan 30, 2015, 06:57 PM »
Care to share? As I mentioned earlier, the instructions say to put the cradle into the case and then install the battery. Bad order in my opinion. I took the cradle back out of the case and installed the battery. Fast and easy then by first tucking the foam into the hole and then easing in the battery (rather than holding the foam onto the bottom of the battery and trying to slide both in at once).

Share your trick! I'm curious...Thanks.
Absolutely I will, I posted that on my way to work, ran out of time......sorry about that!......lol

What I did was the easy way out, place the battery on top of the foam pad as the instructions say, than all I did was fold the sides up and taped them down the side of the battery, and slid the battery right in. As far as the power leds I'm doing the same thing making up a set to stay on permanently.
Using the same male and female plug as on a Battery Tender Charger.

BTW.... I was all over HB's web site just now, way did they not give us or make the swing out transducer cable holder that you can hang over the hole in the ice?
I guess I'll fab up my own, I'll come up with something soon and share it, or if you have some ideas maybe post them up.

Thanks!
Clam Tundra
Humminbird ICE 688ci HD

Offline Chadx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Jan 30, 2015, 10:21 PM »
Would changing the background to black inherently improve battery life as the screen is less lit? My 9ah battery lasts a day and a half on my 385ci with the white background and GPS active .

It would not. See my post right before yours. On a backlit lcd, the power is on for a pixel even if black. Zero difference in power consumption. Only for AMOLED screens like on smartphones and tablets, does black make a difference. On those types of screens, the pixel is not powered when true black. Will likely be a long time before we see expensive screens like that for these low resolution devices. Not really a need for them and not worth up upcharge for the return.

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Jan 31, 2015, 06:13 AM »
Thanks Chadx, I prefer the white background , but would sacrifice if it meant battery life .

Offline Elkhnter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Jan 31, 2015, 05:12 PM »
CAMO: The answer to your question why humminbird didnt make a swing out transducer holder is- It was already patented by some other company so they couldnt..

But if you go to YOU TUBE and type in: Humminbird 345, 385 & 570 PT Ice Fishing Modification

It will show you how to build your own..
Marvin

Offline Yankee Troller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Jan 31, 2015, 05:37 PM »
Tuned up Customs makes an aluminum arm, and so does a guy named Shane Christiansen in Iowa. I put Shane's on mine.
Clam Pro & Yukon TC
Daiwa Laguna Reels

Offline C.A.M.O.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Jan 31, 2015, 06:37 PM »
Yes, saw the video last night, and thanks for that information!
Clam Tundra
Humminbird ICE 688ci HD

Offline apresby11

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Feb 01, 2015, 09:10 AM »
Has anyone used this for open water?  Do you need to purchase a different transducer for it for open water or can you use any compatible transducer? Does it work with the auto chart software?  I'm thinking about buying one, looks like it does everything you need for hard water fishing, I just need to make sure it has everything I need for open water fishing.

Thanks!

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Feb 01, 2015, 12:58 PM »
I have the 385ci and use it in my kayak and canoe and my friends' boats with the optional suction cup portable transducer. BUT I have used it with the ice-ducer in all of those situations with no problem . The optional suction cup one has a temperature probe .

Offline Yankee Troller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Feb 01, 2015, 06:52 PM »
Has anyone used this for open water?  Do you need to purchase a different transducer for it for open water or can you use any compatible transducer? Does it work with the auto chart software?  I'm thinking about buying one, looks like it does everything you need for hard water fishing, I just need to make sure it has everything I need for open water fishing.

Thanks!

You'd probably need a different ducer if you were putting it on a boat. If you're using a Kayak then you might be good with the ice ducer. I'm not sure if the 688 will work with autochart, but that's a great feature if it is! There has to be a compatibility chart on Huminbirds website. If not, call Humminbird technical service.
Clam Pro & Yukon TC
Daiwa Laguna Reels

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Feb 01, 2015, 10:30 PM »
688 is compatible with AutoChart

Catchin' Fish

Offline BrianPeterson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Feb 02, 2015, 09:02 PM »
I'm seriously thinking about purchasing this unit, but wondering how bad the interference is with other units. How does it do i the same shack with a LX7?

Offline CamoHunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Feb 02, 2015, 10:42 PM »
Same shack, it's not going to do very well.  They'll be quite a bit of interference on both units.  I've fished a 788ci HD for a few years now.  No problems fishing pretty close with friends, but in the same shack isn't going to work.

Offline C.A.M.O.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Feb 04, 2015, 07:52 PM »
Well guys, I have to tell a little tale here, need to give credit where credit is do.

My new one week old HB 688 ci came with a bad transducer, right out of the box.
Could not get it out of demo mode, and a error message said transducer not connected. Talked personalty with a forum member here (Yankee Troller)
We went though the whole nine yards, and concluded the transducer was bad.

Now the good news!

I have it back already. I shipped it out this week, Monday at 12:30 PM and got it back today at 10:30 AM.
Can't believe how fast they reacted on this. All shipping was with Fed-X Overnight Air which Humminbird emailed me the shipping label.

Very happy with Hummingbirds Customer Service A-1 Fast Repair, the transducer was defective, which is what we thought.
They checked over the whole unit and sent a new transducer............ ...Sweet!

Again special thanks to, Yankee Troller and of course Humminbird :thumbsup:

PS.
RickOnt, hope you don't mine me sharing this on your thread. Thanks!
Clam Tundra
Humminbird ICE 688ci HD

Offline Yankee Troller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Feb 05, 2015, 06:06 AM »
I'm seriously thinking about purchasing this unit, but wondering how bad the interference is with other units. How does it do i the same shack with a LX7?

It depends on how close you like to fish to others. In deep water 90+ I was getting some interference from my buddies LX9, and we were 60 yards apart. In shallow water we can sit 30-40 yards apart and not get any. I used my noise filter, as did he, and we had no issues. That's what these noise filters are for, so it's great that we all have these on our units no matter what we are running.
Clam Pro & Yukon TC
Daiwa Laguna Reels

Offline Yankee Troller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Feb 05, 2015, 06:07 AM »
It depends on how close you like to fish to others. In deep water 90+ I was getting some interference from my buddies LX9, and we were 60 yards apart. In shallow water we can sit 30-40 yards apart and not get any. I used my noise filter, as did he, and we had no issues. That's what these noise filters are for, so it's great that we all have these on our units no matter what we are running.

No problem bud!
Clam Pro & Yukon TC
Daiwa Laguna Reels

Offline BrianPeterson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Feb 05, 2015, 05:35 PM »
So.....just to clarify, seems to be differences of opinions. If I had this unit in the same house as a LX7, we would both get interference but can get rid of it with our rejection options on the units? I normally fish with a buddy who has a LX7 and it would suck if neither worked well. Thanks guys.

Offline Yankee Troller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Feb 05, 2015, 08:13 PM »
So.....just to clarify, seems to be differences of opinions. If I had this unit in the same house as a LX7, we would both get interference but can get rid of it with our rejection options on the units? I normally fish with a buddy who has a LX7 and it would suck if neither worked well. Thanks guys.

I tell ya what. I'll test that this weekend. We'll see what happens, and I'll report back.
Clam Pro & Yukon TC
Daiwa Laguna Reels

Offline BrianPeterson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #59 on: Feb 05, 2015, 08:31 PM »
Thanks Troller.....much appreciated!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.