Author Topic: Power augers inside a vehicle  (Read 3040 times)

Offline Ice Wombat

• IceShanty Rookie
Power augers inside a vehicle
« on: Sep 19, 2014, 02:02 PM »
Hi all, just fishing around to see if anyone transports their power augers in their vehicles if they do not have a truck. I have an SUV and as the season gets on the old hand auger limits my exploration at a spot. I have been told that gas powered ones can be really fumy in a confined space and not to sure about the electric options. Any info is helpful thanks.   

Would be happy to drive with my windows down but on the -35 days it is a little less than ideal.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Power augers inside a vehicle
« Reply #1 on: Sep 19, 2014, 02:14 PM »
Not sure what you mean by "funny" ...but I  transport mine in my SUV all the time ..I do travel short distances less than 15 miles ...but if your concerned with fumes spillage etc  get an auger bag. I would also recommend to of course close the vent as well as the choke .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Ice Wombat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Sep 19, 2014, 02:17 PM »
Not sure what you mean by "funny" ...but I  transport mine in my SUV all the time ..I do travel short distances less than 15 miles ...but if your concerned with fumes spillage etc  get an auger bag. I would also recommend to of course close the vent as well as the choke .

ha ha no it says FUMY not FUNNY.

Thanks for your feedback hardwater diehard - Good to know

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Sep 19, 2014, 02:20 PM »
Get yourself a propane auger and you wont smell a thing, the electric models wont stink up your suv either, or you could get one of those racks that goes into your hitch but you would have to protect whatever is in it from road grime, personally I like the jiffy pro 4 cuz thats what I got and I like it a lot no problems starting no smell and its a little quieter than 2 strokes and I can run it in my shelter and not have to smell it all day

Offline Ice Wombat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Sep 19, 2014, 02:23 PM »
Get yourself a propane auger and you wont smell a thing, the electric models wont stink up your suv either, or you could get one of those racks that goes into your hitch but you would have to protect whatever is in it from road grime, personally I like the jiffy pro 4 cuz thats what I got and I like it a lot no problems starting no smell and its a little quieter than 2 strokes and I can run it in my shelter and not have to smell it all day

Thanks BIGCREW, nice to have a model to research and also good to know that it won't gas me out on the way there. I don't need anything else to amp me up on my way to a fishing spot. I'm generally fully charged!!!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Sep 19, 2014, 02:30 PM »
ha ha no it says FUMY not FUNNY.

Mmmmm either I need a new prescription or its from all those years running with a gas auger in my SUV   :roflmao: :roflmao: ;D ;D

Although I don't use my auger bag often ...as my local lakes is just a mile away ...I never had a Fumy smell that I can recall ..I am sure if left overnight that could be a concern ...with changing temps and fuel expansion.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Sep 19, 2014, 02:37 PM »
I used to dread the gas auger days I hate the smell of the gas and I always seemed to get it on me somehow those days are long gone nice clean burning propane for me

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #7 on: Sep 19, 2014, 02:38 PM »
Don't have the tank filled to the brim, and make sure if you have a vent screw in your cap, it's closed....and the fill neck points up.  ;)
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #8 on: Sep 19, 2014, 04:01 PM »
I hauled mine in the old lady's suv over a hundred miles one way and she didn't even know it was there. Drain most of the gas and shut all the vents as mentioned before, and you'll be ok.

Offline Ice Wombat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Sep 19, 2014, 04:08 PM »
Very encouraging answers. Many thanks.

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #10 on: Sep 19, 2014, 04:15 PM »
Before I got a truck I had an suv and hauld my gas auger inside all the time just make sure the gas cap is on tight and facing up.

Offline Ice Wombat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Sep 19, 2014, 04:48 PM »

Will be a game changer to not have to work through this with a hand held auger on seasoned blades. My set up time would dramatically change on those limited day light sessions. Let the research begin...

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Sep 19, 2014, 05:04 PM »
I have left my auger in my SUV for 2 weeks when I was on vacation. Had the vent cap closed and in an eskimo head cover bag. My SUV didn't have a gas smell I asssume it was so cold the vapours don't really build up to much and the eskimo cover is rubber lined inside.

Offline swampy45

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • going for the record books
« Reply #13 on: Sep 20, 2014, 09:16 AM »
ran a gas auger out of the back of my Corolla last winter and never had a problem with fumes or anything.  Travelled some long trips too.
coffee- do stupid things faster, with more energy.

Offline bobby2unes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Sep 22, 2014, 04:33 PM »
My old Strikemaster leaks and stinks up the SUV too so I bought the clam conversion kit.  http://clamoutdoors.com/store/clam/augers/conversion-kit.html. Here it is in action,
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

Offline Ice Wombat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Sep 23, 2014, 09:36 AM »
My old Strikemaster leaks and stinks up the SUV too so I bought the clam conversion kit.  http://clamoutdoors.com/store/clam/augers/conversion-kit.html. Here it is in action,

Hi there bobby2unes. I a couple of questions if you don't mind. Have you run the conversion kit on a 10 or 12 inch auger? Also, do you find your batteries lasting the session or do you bring a backup?

Thanks

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Sep 23, 2014, 09:55 AM »
Hi there bobby2unes. I a couple of questions if you don't mind. Have you run the conversion kit on a 10 or 12 inch auger? Also, do you find your batteries lasting the session or do you bring a backup?

Thanks

The 18-20 v drills shine with 4,5.6 and maybe 7 in drill units...after that ..you are asking way to much from them ...also the "flat" style blades/drill unit (Mora and the like) as opposed to the lazer type blades appear to work better as reported by other members on numerous threads ..I have a Dewalt 20v Max and a Strikemaster 6 in Lazer ...works quite well for ice less than a foot ..but with the lazer blades it does grab the last/break through ice ..its a learning curve ...this year getting the Clam plate (hope that takes care of that grabbing issue) .I plan on using it on first/last ice as well as places that do not allow gas augers .After a foot of ice its back to my gas auger.

good reads on the plate and other projects

http://www.iceshanty.com/search/googlecs.php?cx=partner-pub-4142604719202363%3A1m5u4k-rv05&cof=FORID%3A11&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=clam+auger+plate&sa=Search

Offline bobby2unes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Sep 24, 2014, 03:25 PM »

Thanks

Hey Ice Wombat, I agree with what Hardwater was saying too.  I just got my Clam Auger Conversion Kit in the mail, so I haven't tested it out yet.  I plan to get the Milwaukee M18 hammer drill.  It's adverstised to have 550 inch/pounds of torque when used with the Red Lithium batteries.  From what I've seen on Youtube, it looks I would need to bring both batteries for the day.  I also plan to use a 4 or 6 inch bit only, so as to not stress the drill too much.  I can always drill two smaller holes side by side if I plan to catch bigger pike.  I can't wait for the ice!
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

Offline Ice Wombat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Sep 25, 2014, 02:48 PM »
Thanks for the insight into the clam. I took a read of that older feed about it too. Plenty to think about for sure.

For me I feel ok with the old hand help during early and late, so I guess my biggest need is when the ice is at its thickest and because I usually run 10inch holes (not that I can't change) the conversion kit may not be the best option for me.

Saying that, sure would like an excuse to upgrade my drill set.....

I guess I have a little more time to research, so thanks to all who have shared their thoughts thus far. Sure are a few options on the table now.

Big thanks 

Offline cube3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Oct 03, 2014, 04:23 PM »
Hi all, just fishing around to see if anyone transports their power augers in their vehicles if they do not have a truck. I have an SUV and as the season gets on the old hand auger limits my exploration at a spot. I have been told that gas powered ones can be really fumy in a confined space and not to sure about the electric options. Any info is helpful thanks.   

Would be happy to drive with my windows down but on the -35 days it is a little less than ideal.

I never had a problem of "fumy" smells inside my Chevy Astro. Had 2 different Eskimo gas augers and not once had a problem of gas spill or smell. I did get rid of the Astro last year (after 14 years) and now have a truck. I do miss that Astro though, in a lot of ways it was the perfect ice fishing machine. AWD and tons of room on the inside.

Good luck on your quest.

Offline Kim

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Here fishy,fishy I'm not stuck! Just need traction
« Reply #20 on: Oct 15, 2014, 08:03 AM »
I can see it now, people draining there gas on the lake. Just put enough gas in the tank that you are going to need for a few holes, close the vent and you should be ok. Can even stick the head in a garbage bag if need be. Watch how you load the auger in the suv. Gas cap up. Helps if you have a small crate of some kind to keep the head from turning. I some times use a old milk crate for differant things that I don't want rolling around or moving.
Gonna get me a 16" Perch this year.

Offline #1fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 05, 2014, 10:48 AM »
It is funny how opinions change over time. While working at one of the local retailers in the last two years, I had a difficult time trying to convince guys that propane augers and electric augers were THE way to go. For all of the reasons mentioned, It won't be too many more years and we will all be saying, " I can't believe we ever used gas augers". These relatively new options are so much more friendly to the environment and as people who enjoy the benefits of a healthy environment, we should all embrace that improvement in technology. Not to mention the clean cabin air in a vehicle.
Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have had no time to go fishing.
Clark Gable

Offline impulseturboguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Nov 05, 2014, 09:14 PM »
Yup I switched to the jiffy pro 4 propane and it is awesome I can drill in my ice house without smoke or fumes

Offline cube3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Nov 06, 2014, 04:35 PM »
It is funny how opinions change over time. While working at one of the local retailers in the last two years, I had a difficult time trying to convince guys that propane augers and electric augers were THE way to go. For all of the reasons mentioned, It won't be too many more years and we will all be saying, " I can't believe we ever used gas augers". These relatively new options are so much more friendly to the environment and as people who enjoy the benefits of a healthy environment, we should all embrace that improvement in technology. Not to mention the clean cabin air in a vehicle.

This is just too funny

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.