The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Rod and Reel  (Read 709 times)

Offline greenchile

• IceShanty Rookie
Rod and Reel
« on: Sep 19, 2014, 11:19 AM »
All,

Any suggestions for a starter rod and reel combo, Perch, Bluegill and Crappie??

Greenchile

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Rod and Reel
« Reply #1 on: Sep 19, 2014, 11:49 AM »
The big box stores will be putting out there ice fishing stuff soon, you can pick up a decent priced rod and reel  combo there, I dont spend to much on jigging rods im tough on equipment and breaking a rod I paid a few bucks for or one I put together doesnt hurt the wallet to .much

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
« Reply #2 on: Sep 23, 2014, 07:07 PM »
I think the biggest thing to look at is the strike indicator.  I like the frabril quick tip rods and also I put the st crouix spring indicator on the end of the rods.  Works very well.

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Sep 23, 2014, 10:21 PM »
check out the gx2 ugly sticks $20 in a medium  or a lite action. at the local fishusa.com i am sure they will have ice gear out soon pair it with a good quality spinning reel you should be all set.

me my self and i hate the new in-line reels i think there to much hype and not enough research went in to them be fore putting them out on the market in other words just another gimmick to sell crap lol's.   reason being you jig when dropped flutters so fall like on jigging raps and some rocker style jigs. then  you get line twist any ways. like i say to other if you going to buy one your going to buy one it was not me that told you to buy it though....  all you need is a bearing swivel to get the line twist out of a spinning reel...

Offline wileyc3

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • T7 Custom Rods, CatchEmAll Custom jigs
« Reply #4 on: Sep 24, 2014, 01:17 PM »
I'm with NEZ, find a rod you like and put a spring bobber on it. If y wanna add your own St.Croix set up use a #8 single foot rod guide, 1/8"x11/32" rubber grommet  and get the bobbers from St.Croix or off Ebay like I did. Attach the rod guide with epoxy then when dry add the grommet in the rod guide you epoxy'd on then insert the sping in the grommet. Hell of alot cheaper than buying a $100 legend. you have to play around with spring weights, I bout lights and they basicly work on a #3 fiskas or lighter, had to go to a med for a #4 cuz the #4 put to much bend in it for my liking. Hoped this helped if your were thinking of going this route.

Tight lines........ Wiley
Be safe & Tight lines...........Wiley

Offline diesel2012

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Sep 24, 2014, 02:52 PM »
I'm a fan of No. 8 and 13 fishing stuff. Quality equipment for not a lot of money. Their bottom end stuff is perfect for me. Good rods and reels and I won't cry when I end up breaking one haha

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Sep 24, 2014, 03:14 PM »
For pan fish in general I'd stick with a 500 shimano Sedona or a sienna if you're on a budget. For the rod I would recommend a noodle type rod. 13 fishing is coming out with a new one this yr. Called the tickle stick. :tipup:

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Sep 24, 2014, 03:26 PM »

i with nez and wiley  get a spring bobber and throw it on a rod you like.. that is true problem is most rod companies make 100 different rods in medium action one rod that says medium action in  this brand is for lake trout another for walleye  then one for pan fish so keep it in mind. when looking at rods to pick it up and feel the tip of the rods i like stiff tips on my pan fish rods with a spring bobber  but some may like the cooked noodle feeling of their rods like ht ice  blue series ul pan fish rods... or even schooly arctic blue series rods. but  keep in mind setting the hook on these rods just is not going to happen...   but this is all up to you this s why i said fishusa.com will have their gear out sooner or later and match what you like to a good reel...

Offline Sodusitous

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • That hole ain't gonna drill it's self !
« Reply #8 on: Sep 24, 2014, 04:18 PM »
It is tough to beat the Frabill Quicktip rods for panfish - value wise. Cabelas sells them in combos for about $40. The rod is great, the reel is ok. I prefer to use Shimano Sienna 500s on my quicktip 27"s. I just like the way a Shimano reel works. I put the Frabill reels on other rods for friends and family to use.

If you are looking  for an economical rod, IMO the Ugly Stik GSX is a very good option. Widely available at $20. You cant go wrong. But get the Medium action. Their Light is more ultralight than other companies' ultralights - if you can follow that!
"More is lost to indecision than wrong decision"

Offline greenchile

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Sep 24, 2014, 07:30 PM »
Thanks for all the info now just have to wait for the stores near me to put out their ice fishing stuff.

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Sep 30, 2014, 11:02 AM »
Ht Ice Blues with a shimano seinna, works awesome and cheap.  Get a reel that has a good anti reverse, most important for me.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.