Author Topic: Runners for Sled/Tub  (Read 2507 times)

Offline VanderLaan

• Team IceShanty Regular
Runners for Sled/Tub
« on: Sep 18, 2014, 08:26 PM »
Thinking about putting some runners on my pull-over.  Are they bolted on from the bottom (counter-sunk) with a nut on the floor of the sled?  If so, do the all the nuts snag stuff or create storage pfoblems?  Do you caulk the holes to make them water-tight?  Any DIY solutions sources?

The test of man is not how how far he will go to win, but how far he will go when he has already lost.

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Runners for Sled/Tub
« Reply #1 on: Sep 18, 2014, 08:55 PM »
They bolt on from the bottom and are countersunk I guess it wouldnt hurt to put a little sillycone on the holes , I would shop around for an old pair of skis then either make a smitty sled or just bolt them to your tub with or without a spacer between the tub and the skis, the ski will have less drag than the tub itself cuz theres less surface area on the ice

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Sep 18, 2014, 09:43 PM »
I bought my runners from garlandmfg.com this past march. paid 30 cents per foot. came in 5' lengths. did a 54" jet sled, 45" otter and a glide lite and still have 2 5' pieces left for under $35.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Sep 19, 2014, 06:05 AM »
I put the Hyfax runners on my Frabill Adventurer last August and I also built a Smitty sled. If you don't drag your sled through much abrasive terrain then I would recommend just building/using a Smitty sled ...if you drag across some tough terrain and/or haul long distances then the Hyfax runners are in order . The Hyfax don't do much in moderately deep snow ...but that is where the Smitty sled shins ..for my needs I could of just went with Smitty ...but not having a frame of reference ..thought the Hyfax would be the ticket ..I don't regret putting the Hyfax  on as they do save your sled from unnecessary  wear and tear ...just my observation.

Shout out to Smitty thank you one again !!!
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Sep 19, 2014, 07:33 AM »
+1 for the Smitty sled. I can't overstate how much easier it is to pull gear. Really glad I made one.

Offline Westsloper

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's always something in my icehole!
« Reply #5 on: Sep 19, 2014, 09:55 AM »
I built a smitty for my quick flip 3 last year and it's been the best mod I've done! My 8yr old girl can pull it now!
Jiggin up jumbos!

Offline tswoboda

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Sep 19, 2014, 11:30 AM »
Use the hyfax runners if you're pulling it with a snowmobile/atv, and build a smitty sled if you're pulling it by hand.  You could obviously do both if you want.  The hyfax runners aren't going to help much at all with the pulling resistance, but they are great for protecting the bottom of your sled when pulling it with a snowmobile or atv.

The Otter hyfax runners are good, the clam ones are junk.  I made runners for my Clam flip-over using snowmobile slides as suggested above, they work great and were cheap.

Offline tundra redneck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Sep 22, 2014, 05:54 PM »
I used runners from a snowmobile $14 set new

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Sep 23, 2014, 10:27 AM »
Whatever you do, don't use PVC building trim for a homebrew solution. I did and they all broke, bent, came apart. Thought I was onto something and it was a bad idea.

After that I decided to just use the Jet Sled as is, see how long it lasts and buy another when it get's ruined. So far it actually holds up really well without runners and I pull with a machine over some nasty terrain for a long time.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Retiredbum

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Sep 24, 2014, 07:52 AM »
Bought some runners last year, Sled pulls easier and truer. Worth the investment.

Offline dangle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Sep 24, 2014, 09:55 AM »
I used conduit pipe on my nanook. Been on for three years. I've pulled it with my quad and pulled by hand. slides supper easy on ice, and is wearing very well, has I've pulled it through various bad terrain,[parking lots, dirt, ect.]. I got the idea from this sight.[did I mention that it is cheap?]

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.