Author Topic: Otter Hy Fax Runners  (Read 4038 times)

Offline RickOnt

• Team IceShanty Regular
Otter Hy Fax Runners
« on: Sep 18, 2014, 08:52 AM »
Do you use them?

How do they perform,wear?

Thanks
Rick

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
Re: Otter Hy Fax Runners
« Reply #1 on: Sep 18, 2014, 09:02 AM »
I have hyfax on both of my Otter tents as well as my Otter cargo sled.  All have the factory hyfax.  The oldest is 10 - 12 years old and while the hyfax shows wear, there's still plenty left.  We get a lot of snow here and I don't run over that much pavement/asphalt though.  I'm sure other areas have greater opportunity for wear.   
Chris Raymond

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Sep 18, 2014, 09:12 AM »
I have them on my Frabill adventurer ...same as CR said I don't run over much pavement ..but some exposed sandy beaches ..they add life to the tub/sled.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Sodusitous

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • That hole ain't gonna drill it's self !
« Reply #3 on: Sep 18, 2014, 09:12 AM »
I have never tried Otter - only Clam. I am replying only because I was so unhappy with the Clam hyfax that I had to get a little creative.

Go to a snowmobile shop and ask them if they have any obsolete sliders out back. The longer the better unless you've got a one man flip or shorter type sled. I picked up a pair for and older Polaris mountain sled. Cut them to length, start at the back of sled and work forward. You may have to heat them at the front to contour with the sled. Install with stainless steel hardware and your good to go. They wear like iron. Mine have 2 seasons of being towed with a wheeler and they look brand new. $22 invested.
"More is lost to indecision than wrong decision"

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Sep 18, 2014, 09:21 AM »
5 gallon bucket filled with hot water... soak the intended curved ends ...EZPZ...also drill your holes a lil small then the screw so when applied they hold tight to hyfax/sled ...less cumbersome to start the nuts ...also if the shelter is new ..do the runner before the tent way way easier 
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline stpaulslouch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Sep 18, 2014, 09:46 AM »
5 gallon bucket filled with hot water... soak the intended curved ends ...EZPZ...also drill your holes a lil small then the screw so when applied they hold tight to hyfax/sled ...less cumbersome to start the nuts ...also if the shelter is new ..do the runner before the tent way way easier

I learned this the hard way, I had to disassemble the poles and support bracket on my Otter to put mine on.  Simple job but tedious.  They have been bullet proof so far.

Offline Dan J

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Sep 18, 2014, 10:04 AM »
Just got a new XT1200 Otter Cabin. The first thing I did was put the Hyfax on. Start from the front put the first screw in all the hyfax and tighten the locknuts. Then use a heat gun and heat the hyfax just enough so you can bend them around the curve, the rest is easy. As said before use a smaller drill bit than the screw and they will stay in place.then flip it over and do all the washers and locknuts.

Offline RickOnt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Sep 18, 2014, 10:12 AM »
OK I had the factory Clam runners on my Yukon,

Lasted one year A waste of time installing,  I picked up some 4" x 1/2" UHMV plastic and it was great.

Now I am looking at the Otter Flip over and need runners,

However looks like guys are happy ;D ;D with the Otter Hy Fax runners

Offline Dan J

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Sep 18, 2014, 02:35 PM »
You will like the Otter hyfax they are about 1"x 1" and pre drilled with all the mounting hardware. The Otter sled is molded to except them.

Offline Sam I am

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Sep 18, 2014, 03:09 PM »
I had the hyfax on my Cabin last year and bought it again this year for my Resort.  I've heard of guys going to home depot, buying vinyl trim 1X4's or 1X6's and ripping them down to make their own hyfax kit.  They work fine too, but I figured I would buy the factory kit even though it's a lot more $$ than the DIY solution.  Either way, if your going to tow over rough terrain, parking lots, roads and also have a lot of gear in the sled...the hyfax is great protection and highly recommended. 

I screwed in the very front screws, then secured the rest of the piece with a few pieces of duct tape which enable me to go "hands free" while I sunk the rest of the holes.  If I recall correctly, the screws in mine had allen heads in them, and I used an allen bit in my cordless.  I could then use my screw gun with a deep socket to tighten down the rest of the screws.  It saved a lot of time and wrench turning. 

Offline gonehunting

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Sep 18, 2014, 08:20 PM »
Check out this youtube link: 

Search Otter Hyfax - it called something like The art of hyfax runner/glides.  Very useful video to make a one man install alot easier.  Otter hyfax are very much worth their money.  Protects the investment of your sled.

Offline Sam I am

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Sep 20, 2014, 03:53 PM »
Just installed the hyfax on my new resort last night.  I did this first before anything else on the sled.  That made it a lot easier than my cabin...which I put the hyfax on last.   :%$#!:

Offline WildMN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Sep 22, 2014, 07:38 PM »
I have an otter sport sled in size large which Otter tells me I cannot put the runners on.  Dimensionally it is close to the otter pro medium sled.  Anyone have any thoughts on compatibility? 

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Sep 22, 2014, 08:14 PM »
I have an otter sport sled in size large which Otter tells me I cannot put the runners on.  Dimensionally it is close to the otter pro medium sled.  Anyone have any thoughts on compatibility? 

Don't see why you couldn't add hy fax or sled sliders to it .

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #14 on: Sep 23, 2014, 02:28 AM »
WildMN measure your sled then do a search for the website of a company called U.S. Plastics . You want to purchase (uhmw) plastic strips ,the uhmw stands for ultra high molecular weight . I do not know the lengths the strip are available in or their width and thickness. Also the strip will not come with holes predrilled in them or the hardware to mount them to your sled. This may be an option for you. A member screen name of Bean from Pennsylvania uses this companies product on his sled/shelter. If you use the search on this website you should find the thread he started on the subject of sled runners.
Steve

Offline revpilot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Sep 23, 2014, 10:53 PM »
Yes , and they performed well and save the bottom of your sled.

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #16 on: Sep 24, 2014, 09:18 PM »
Can someone with a 650 cottage tell me how long the hyfax runners are?
Thanks
]

Offline Wegashanty

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ICE KING
« Reply #17 on: Jan 03, 2015, 08:13 AM »
Can someone with a 650 cottage tell me how long the hyfax runners are?
Thanks

37.5 inches

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Jan 03, 2015, 08:40 AM »

Both of my shacks have runners  , my 08 X2 tub is made like the otter , I go through a set every 2 years , very little dry ground , my tub is still like new , , the new clam runners seem to be quite soft , frabil and otter hyfax seem to be of good quality , you can also order plastics in different thickness and lenghts and colors , as was stated above easier to put on before tent is installed , you can also use a blow dryer to heat and bend at least up to 1/2" anyway , and they can be put on any  jet or other type of sled

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 03, 2015, 09:37 AM »
I went through a set of Otter wear bars in one season last year, granted I did drag down some roads with the wheeler. This season they are being replaced with UHMW. We will see how that goes.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.