Author Topic: Popup camper to Hardside conversion  (Read 4391 times)

Offline watsbobton

• IceShanty Rookie
Popup camper to Hardside conversion
« on: Sep 17, 2014, 07:25 PM »
I recently got a pop up camper free on craigslist. Good shape just wouldn't crank up. I attempted to replace all the cables but one of the runners was bent pretty bad so it looks like I have a good start for my Bob house!

The plan is to keep a bit of the interior and rebuild the walls into a hard side. 1/2" angle iron frame with 1/4" Luan. Rigid foam insulation and some lightweight paneling on the inside.

Anyone had a house on wheels? I've seen them but what about when there's 2ft of snow on the lake?

Offline watsbobton

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Popup camper to Hardside conversion
« Reply #1 on: Sep 17, 2014, 08:46 PM »

Offline NorthWoods Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work!
« Reply #2 on: Sep 17, 2014, 08:59 PM »
Is that a Galaxy 7?

I have one like it. heavy to pull through deep snow but very comfy!

I had problems with wind blowing out the pilot light on the furnace. I tried a deflector over the exhaust vent but it was no use. I replaced the furnace with a wall mount LP unit. Keep the dinette. Mine has a couch on one side, I kept that as well. Scrapped out the rest.

Offline Altonbayicefishingfool

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Sep 18, 2014, 04:42 AM »
I put old snowboards under my tires and ratchet strapped them on. Found them in the dumpster at Gunstock.

I'm all the years I've had it, end of season there isn't 2 feet of snow left on the ice typically.

Pulls right off no problem
Life is good!

Offline jimmyrig

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Sep 18, 2014, 07:05 AM »

We pull our house around on wheels with no problem at all. I think it is a good way to go. We just recently got a free pop up as well, it was 12 feet long. We stripped it down to just base and axle and made a mobile hunting cabin out of it. Came out slick and it tows nice too. Will try to post pics. We framed and sided with aluminum like our bob house.

Good luck and post progress

Jimmy
that is thinking with your dipstick......jimmy

Offline Riverat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Our Winter Home on the Lake.
« Reply #5 on: Sep 19, 2014, 07:00 AM »
Hi Watsbobton, I built a popup conversion last year myself and thoroughly enjoy every minute spent using it last season and it also got the wife out on the ice for a change. She love the comfort and cooking capabilities. I used the original top and bottom and used 2x2"s and luan with window sashes for hardsides with rigid foam sandwiched in the walls. I raised the height of the benches and table by 6" to make it more comfortable. relocated the stove and icebox and built cabinets under the counter. Also widened the door with a full size 30" solid wood door which had to be shortened. after all the wall corners were bolted together I removed the aluminum spring loaded brackets and laged the roof to the walls. Check out some pictures of it on this thread from last year.
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=260658.0

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Sep 19, 2014, 07:12 AM »
Riverrat ....Very nice build ..looks cozy
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline watsbobton

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Oct 01, 2014, 07:14 PM »
Nice work riverrat

I haven't quite started building yet, still designing.
I plan to build it so it's usable as a camper in the off season, any advice on siding? I want light weight. Aluminum is pricy. I'd like FRP plastic sheets but they're still almost $40 each.

Anyone know of a cheap source for frp?

Offline Riverat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Our Winter Home on the Lake.
« Reply #8 on: Oct 02, 2014, 06:23 AM »
I hear ya on the pricey! I chose to use luan in and out with 2" rigid foam sandwich in between, and 3 coats of latex paint. held up since last season, no problem yet. But I am coating with Helmsman Spar varnish urethane as soon as we get a couple nice days of weather.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.