The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: New to Ice Fishing and Western PA  (Read 1049 times)

Offline greenchile

• IceShanty Rookie
New to Ice Fishing and Western PA
« on: Sep 17, 2014, 06:44 AM »
Hey All,

Just relocated in Western Pa from California and have been looking for something to replace my Surf Perch habit. Looks like there are a few lakes in the area that should provide some Ice Fishing for a newbie. Any help on the basic of equipment and techniques would be appreciated.

Any one out there living in or near Cranberry Twp PA?

Thanks,

Greenchile....

Offline icecube

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: New to Ice Fishing and Western PA
« Reply #1 on: Sep 17, 2014, 10:28 AM »
There are a lot of guys in your area that get on this website. They just aren't checking in yet, but they will be soon!  You will need to find out what interests you, on type of fishing. Tip-ups or jigging or both? Then go from there as to what type of equipment you want. First safety equipment. Ice Spikes to hang around your neck  And for your feet. I don't go anywhere on ice without a spud bar. Going wth some one that has spent a lot of time on the ice is invaluable. Some type of flotation jacket is nice to have too.You will need a auger of some type hand or motorized.  Some people will help you with drilling holes when you go out. Just let them know you are trying out ice fishing for the first year. Guys on the ice are generally pretty friendly and will drill a hole for you with their auger. Can't fish without a hole in the ice. I like jigging so I have jig poles and flasher. Flasher or any type of new ice electronics helps immensely jigging. I do have tip-ups just don't use them as much. But other guys only like to fish with tip-ups. A portable shanty and heater I really like. You tend to enjoy yourself a bit more if you are not freezing half  to death. Hope this helps. And enjoy. Others will chip in soon.
 I am sure. Stay- On- Top

Offline greenchile

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Sep 17, 2014, 11:11 AM »
Thanks for the reply.

So far have had a couple of messages to my post and an invite to go fishing when the ice comes. sure it will help getting me started....

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Sep 18, 2014, 07:17 AM »
Welcome aboard brother;when the season gets closer throw up a post up.im sure we will get you out for perch.

Offline Mike Reilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Sep 18, 2014, 02:00 PM »
welcome to the site  first of all be safe make sure ice is safe lots of lakes and ponds in area are spring feed so you may want to do some homework get on the site ask questions most people are helpful once you get three posts you can check the lake reports then you can see where guys are fishing and how safe the ice is shoot me a pm when season starts and will try to help you out more good luck stay safe

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Sep 30, 2014, 10:56 AM »
Hey All,

Just relocated in Western Pa from California and have been looking for something to replace my Surf Perch habit. Looks like there are a few lakes in the area that should provide some Ice Fishing for a newbie. Any help on the basic of equipment and techniques would be appreciated.

Any one out there living in or near Cranberry Twp PA?

Thanks,

Greenchile....

Welcome to the wonderful world that is ice fishing!   I am new to the site but have been ice fishing for years.  I live in crawford co, if you ever want to make it up this way, there are tons of lakes to fish, we can meet up.  The first year you go out, try to go out with somebody, it will help alot. Plus gear can get expensive with, auger, shanty, heater, sled, flasher, tip ups, rods, lures, clothing ect.  Bring on the cold!

Offline slider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Oct 08, 2014, 05:43 PM »
Welcome
as everyone so far has said those who are crazy enough to stand on a frozen lake are probably the best sportsman around
every year in December we have a pre season picnic usually in mid month
its a great time ad after being on the ice since 18 (now62) there's always more to learn
look for "THE GATHERING" posts in here
send me a msg if there's anything I can do for you

Offline copendirt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Oct 19, 2014, 01:20 PM »
welcome to the site and to the ice ! you will find that the members here are not only friendly but full of info . your closest big lake would probably be lake aurthur moraine state park . it has a good number of most species of fish .  i am just up in new castle pa and mostly only get on the ice on week days do to work , but when the ice comes give me a scream if you need info or someone to go fish with . remember to be safe, early ice around here can be tricky . again welcome to a great sport !

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Oct 19, 2014, 06:49 PM »
Welcome to the state and site, glad to have you here.  I don't know what your budget is but the list of basics depends on that.  You're going to need a set of ice picks, cleats, an auger, scoop, sled to carry your stuff, jigging rod with reel and or tip-ups, jigs, dacron line for the tip-ups, cold weather line for the reel on the jigging rod, swivels, split shots, hooks for the tip-ups (varies on the size of the bait you're going to use but 8s and 10s are good), and warm clothes.  If you want to spend more I'd suggest a power auger, the Eskimo Mako is a good reliable auger with a reasonable price.  As for jigs I'd recommend Marmooskas by HT (size 10 or 12), small Sweedish Pimples (silver with the green stripe, gold, silver with the orange stripe all around 1/2 inch long), Hali jigs (perch colored in the smallest size you can get 25mm if I remember right), Northland's Forage Minnow (perch color in 1/32 ounce) and some Demon jigs (white and orange or white and green in size 10 or 12).  Again it depends on how much you want to spend but this list is pretty bare bones to get you going.

Offline Doubleclutch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 28, 2014, 08:19 AM »
Great advice from all!! Hope to see you up this way in NWPA! Check out my FB Page. Link Is Below.

Check my Face Book Group Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/258599070959819/

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 28, 2014, 09:59 AM »
welcome to pa greenchile and to a great ice fishing websight.were in ca you hail from?

Offline clayboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 28, 2014, 10:18 AM »
good luck with finding ice here this year. looks like no sustained cold in the next 10 day.

Offline Rizzman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 28, 2014, 11:47 AM »
welcome to the best ice fishing site. Lake Arthur is the close  there are others but plan on a little drive. When we get ice I think everyone will be going out asap. I live 20 min from cranberry 

Offline jeepdude64

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 28, 2014, 06:09 PM »
i fished arthur only once and didnt do well.  i prefer walleye so i usually end up erie or deep creek.  for perch you really have to go to deep creek in maryland.  they have the biggest perch i have ever caught in the north east.  we catch regularly 12-15" perch and plenty of them.  the ice there is usually real safe as it is a high altitude lake.  drop me a pm if you want to go i try to go as much as my kids sports will allow me.  most times i spend the night and fish 2 days the hotels close are cheap in the $50-70 range. 

rizzman are you the ohio erie rizzman.  you helped me years ago i owe you one. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.