Author Topic: Heater Question  (Read 698 times)

Offline tackleman

• IceShanty Rookie
Heater Question
« on: Sep 16, 2014, 10:39 AM »
I'm going to go all out and have an aluminum shack built.  My question is the heat source.  Wood to me is too much of a pain.  Nicer to push a button and turn a dial.  I want a direct vent heater for sure.  Which one.  I'm going to have a 12 volt and charging system with the shack with some outlets and some lights.  If you go with a heater that does not require juice you don't need to use your generator all the time.  Your thoughts.  And which heater would you recommend?

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
Re: Heater Question
« Reply #1 on: Sep 16, 2014, 12:17 PM »
Congrats on your decision to go aluminum shack. That should last for many years.

I agree too, wood is a pain. Reminds me of the days fishing with my grandfather as a kid. Of course I had to be the one to haul out the wood for the stove, he didn't own a sled or a toboggan, just me.

I love heating with Propane. Very easy and easy to adjust the temperature. I have a propane cook stove that we run for heat / cooking. Dual purpose.

I also know someone with a vent less wall mount propane heater like the one your asking about. I heard that they had some problems with their heater not starting, not sure if it was due to the cold or something else was the problem. I think they eventually either figured it out or got a new heater to replace the one they had. I'll have to ask them and advise later.
There's some special plumbing you will need to do in addition to running copper to and from your heater ie: condensation trap will need to be built...not a big deal but not included with the heater.
Some heaters require more than that of a 20lb propane tank, something to look into as some recommend 100lbs tanks. Depending on the size of your shack, either go with the 10k btu or 20k btu heater. Check them out on Northern Tools.com

Not sure I understand your comment about "if you go with a heater that does not require juice, you don't need to use your generator all the time"....do you mean for a blower? Again, depending on the size of your shack, you might not need a blower.

Another thought to think about is to go with a Blue Flame heater and not a IR heater which will heat up objects instead of the air.....blue flame heats the air, IR heats objects and gets zorching hot. A blue flame might take longer to heat up the shack but it will be more controllable in terms of regulating the heat.

Good luck! Hope this helps.

Offline tackleman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Sep 16, 2014, 04:39 PM »
Thanks jiggin for your response.  Some heaters don't require electricity some have a fan to blow the air.  Some gas heaters are cool to the touch and some can almost act like a stove.  I think having a hot to the touch stove could burn clothing hurt kids and so on.  Like you said the more shacks you build and see better the shack becomes.  I have had cheaper heaters that were very difficult  to light.  I was wondering what direct vent heaters everyone is using.  I remember the good ole days cutting wood to the proper size for the wood stove and cooking on top of it.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #3 on: Sep 18, 2014, 09:17 AM »
Just as a follow up to the above: "I also know someone with a vent less wall mount propane heater like the one your asking about. I heard that they had some problems with their heater not starting, not sure if it was due to the cold or something else was the problem. I think they eventually either figured it out or got a new heater to replace the one they had. I'll have to ask them and advise later."

I got a response back from a friend who used a vent less wall mount heater.

There was something wrong with his original heater, returned it, and no problems afterwards. Believe he got it from Northern Tools. They are great to deal with.

Good luck.

Offline blood tracker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Sep 19, 2014, 06:11 PM »
Had good luck with a nu-way stove in my bob house, lightweight, vented, can cook on it and very simple- pretty much just a gas range burner in a steel box. but no t. stat. - full time burn. Empire makes or made a nice wall mount furnace- direct vent- standing pilot with push button ingnition for pilot and wall mount t. stat., no power nessary have had one in my deer camp for 10-12 years I think mine is 14k btu may need a bigger gas bottle than gas grill types on sub o days - supplier can run those #s for you.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.