The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Bending full 8ft by 16 ft sheet of aluminum?  (Read 2609 times)

Offline Snopro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Why work when you can fish?
Bending full 8ft by 16 ft sheet of aluminum?
« on: Sep 15, 2014, 05:43 PM »
Want to bend all for sides to form a shoe box looking cover to cap my ice shack! Think this would be better then the vflat fit it had from before. If all four sides was lapped down over a couple iches it would 99% eliminate any chance of leaking!! Just can't figure how to bend it??????
Is it ice time yet???

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
Re: Bending full 8ft by 16 ft sheet of aluminum?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 15, 2014, 05:53 PM »
Your local HVAC shop will have a press brake they can use to do it if ya talk nice to them and offer them a few bucks.....Done that many times. But, having a buddy working there helps, too. Worth a shot anyway.... ;)
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline RealBigReel

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Sep 15, 2014, 07:17 PM »
How thick??

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Sep 15, 2014, 11:02 PM »
how many inches are the folds? and how thick is the metal? cause if it is a thin aluminum you could bolt together some 8 foot long 2x4's like three of them and use a hammer and dolly to fold the edge if it like a inch or two fold to it you will need to snip out the corners by the way i went to school for hvac and they did not have any pan break that big any ware in that school even the auto motive shop did not have them that big. what i am talking about is clamping the sheet to a table after notching the corner and hammering them up or down till about square  to the table or wood you would need a real deep throat c-clamp to do it? and let the edge hang over the table that would do it for the 16 foot edge and the 8 foot edge you just need a table big enough this is if the sheet gauge is light enough to work with?

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Sep 16, 2014, 07:12 AM »
ive never seen a press brake big enough to bend 16 foot sections that had dies designed to bend light gage aluminum and ive been in alot of shops. you could dolly it like was mentioned or maybe one of those guys that forms gutters on site might have something

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Sep 16, 2014, 08:44 AM »
You're gonna have fun trying to find a break that big. Try attaching the sheet in one piece to the roof and bend it with a long board, like a 2 x 10 x 16" rafter or something. probably be good to have a few extra hands.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #6 on: Sep 16, 2014, 08:52 AM »
ive never seen a press brake big enough to bend 16 foot sections that had dies designed to bend light gage aluminum and ive been in alot of shops. you could dolly it like was mentioned or maybe one of those guys that forms gutters on site might have something
Maybe not, but the open end brakes in my shop do. Industrial duct runs aren't little. Was just trying to help the guy out, not argue a point. All it'll take him is a phone call.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline IceHutt

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep & bear arms.Assume nothing.Fish & hunt often!
« Reply #7 on: Sep 16, 2014, 09:28 AM »
I have a 400 ton x 22 ft. and a 600 ton x 20 ft. press brakes in my fabrication shop that should do the trick if you want to bring it to western Nebraska...... :o  Otherwise, you may want to get it bent in 2 pieces and have only 1 overlap to deal with. ;)   Happy trails.   

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Sep 16, 2014, 10:31 AM »
snopro

you could take a heavey steel angle iron and clamp it to the sheet where you want to bend it, then take a piece of 2x4 and lay it down the bend area and work it with a mallet in small increments until its bent, its probably the easiest and cheapest way. i have a press break that i could work it with but the piece is big, would take extra man hours and then i would need the right die to do the 4th bend which i dont have. if the sheet metal is light enough you can also buy a hand seamer, they make better hand seamers than this one shown in the youtube, wider jaws

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #9 on: Sep 16, 2014, 11:09 AM »
I assume you want to bend it thinking it will make a good seamless seal? or lid?

If I didn't have a break handy, I would use angle aluminum and pop rivets. Make a frame, out of the angle, the size of your lid, then add the skirts.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline Snopro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Sep 16, 2014, 04:52 PM »
I assume you want to bend it thinking it will make a good seamless seal? or lid?

If I didn't have a break handy, I would use angle aluminum and pop rivets. Make a frame, out of the angle, the size of your lid, then add the skirts.
Yes thats my plan!
Is it ice time yet???

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Sep 16, 2014, 06:40 PM »
press brakes are able to be 16-32-50 foot long now a pan brake is different it is a cheap way to get stuff done about $300.00 for a pan brake were a 600 ton press break will cost for new like $100,000.00 or more . most hvac installers have pan brakes were a metal fab shop will have press brakes. just a tip...  any how pay attention so not to get in to a argument lol's  there is a difference between the two.

Offline Snopro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Sep 16, 2014, 06:59 PM »
I checked with a hvac shop, longest they could bend was 12ft. I called them monday. May just split the bend into two 8 ft bends and then aluminum weld the cut.
Is it ice time yet???

Offline RealBigReel

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Sep 17, 2014, 06:29 PM »
My 2 cents, go to  lowes or H.D. and buy some of the thin formed drip edge, or maybe they call it base angle, and a  roll of b***hathane.

Put the drip edge on around the perimeter, screw it from the side, and overlap it a little, put a strip of b***hy stuff on top of the drip edge, cut your sheet the same size as your roof and stick it to the b***hy stuff.

Keep it all one sheet if you can, don't think welding it is a good idea.

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Sep 17, 2014, 08:55 PM »
I checked with a hvac shop, longest they could bend was 12ft. I called them monday. May just split the bend into two 8 ft bends and then aluminum weld the cut.

instead of welding you could try some automotive adhesive for auto body ask around you can lap the stuff like two over lapping edges and no way it will leak not taking cheap stuff this stuff come in a caulk tube and its a plastic to plastic adhesive or a metal to metal adhesive been a few year sine i was doing auto body  it not bondo filler putty either.. check tcpgolbal.com they may have some thing close to it you could even shoot the guys at tcp global a email and ask questions about it? seen it used quite a few time just can't remember what it is lol's  any how seem the edge by over lapping them spread the adhesive to any ware that will or could leak and you should be fine. and bend it in 8 or 12 foot lengths etc. etc...  all you need to over lap is like 8 inches of sheet 4 on each side of the lap under the lap joint then you dont got to weld it. but ware rubber gloves and old clothes this stuff sticks good to every thing even hair....  i think 3m make it same with s.e.m. paint systems. any ways i am sure some auto body guys some were would know for sure...   this is the best think i can think of with the circumstances.

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #15 on: Sep 19, 2014, 02:20 PM »
even if you get it bent the corners will be tricky .

Offline Snopro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Sep 23, 2014, 03:33 AM »
even if you get it bent the corners will be tricky .
I am not a tin knocker, but its all done and i am happy with the out come!!!  Should have almost zero chance of ever leaking!
Is it ice time yet???

Offline Eggemoggin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Here Fishy - Fishy
« Reply #17 on: Sep 23, 2014, 06:06 AM »
This has been an interesting read...    tell us what you how you finished your project...   

Offline 44 Degrees North

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Sep 24, 2014, 02:06 AM »
I worked on building lobster boats and cruisers for years and we used a caulk below the the water line made by 3M called 4500. We used it primarily for splash rails and quarter guards. We would drill holes into the hull and through bolt the guards on. Caulk around holes and the length of the guard. Never once had a leak. The stuff is so strong, adheres so good , some boat shops did not bolt theirs on. If for some reason you think you may need to take it off for some reason use 3500.  4500 isn't coming off without a grinder and a chisel. I think this may be the product fish kabob is thinking of. 3M also makes a cleaner for this stuff if you should ever use it. Like FK said, it can be a mess to work with.

instead of welding you could try some automotive adhesive for auto body ask around you can lap the stuff like two over lapping edges and no way it will leak not taking cheap stuff this stuff come in a caulk tube and its a plastic to plastic adhesive or a metal to metal adhesive been a few year sine i was doing auto body  it not bondo filler putty either.. check tcpgolbal.com they may have some thing close to it you could even shoot the guys at tcp global a email and ask questions about it? seen it used quite a few time just can't remember what it is lol's  any how seem the edge by over lapping them spread the adhesive to any ware that will or could leak and you should be fine. and bend it in 8 or 12 foot lengths etc. etc...  all you need to over lap is like 8 inches of sheet 4 on each side of the lap under the lap joint then you dont got to weld it. but ware rubber gloves and old clothes this stuff sticks good to every thing even hair....  i think 3m make it same with s.e.m. paint systems. any ways i am sure some auto body guys some were would know for sure...   this is the best think i can think of with the circumstances.

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Sep 24, 2014, 06:35 PM »
that maybe the stuff? i would have to search around but like said it will bound very well and it does not let go or leak!  thanks for the help by the way...

Offline Snopro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Sep 24, 2014, 07:06 PM »
that maybe the stuff? i would have to search around but like said it will bound very well and it does not let go or leak!  thanks for the help by the way...
I sealed under it and the 4 seams i made cutting the bends with the same stuff the tractor trailer shop uses on the trailer roofs. Same shop that sold me my roof skin. Will get the name of caulking for you guys.
Is it ice time yet???

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.