Author Topic: DIY Genz type boxes  (Read 6503 times)

Offline sinneD

• Team IceShanty Regular
DIY Genz type boxes
« on: Sep 14, 2014, 08:29 PM »
Greetings all-

Anyone have any thoughts on DIY Genz type boxes? I made version 1 a couple of seasons ago from some scraps of MDO plywood to fit in a 3 or 5 gallon bucket.  I am looking to build another, hopefully better one for next season. Pics below.

I biffed on a couple of measurements in the prototype. I had to extend the back to hole the transducer and the batter is hanging out the back. But it fits in the bucket just fine.

Then again- why restrain myself with a 5 gallon round bucket? The neighbor has cats and the 5 gallon pails that she gets he litter in a rectangular with a decent snap down lid. Though they are not as sturdy as my drywall buckets.  Anyone use them? How do they hold up?

My biggest issue that I am trying to work out is cable management. Right now I have stuff tucked between the bottom pieces and use a couple of pieces of RG6 cable as posts to trap everything inside. Not the best solution.

I think that the voltmeter and USB ports need to stay towards the top to stay dry.

I added a 12V outlet to put the cell phone charger cord I use in it so that I can charge the cell phone. I also have a surprisingly bright  USB laptop light which comes in handy sometimes.  I am thinking of adding one of these to my setup too- they are on Amazon and flea bay. Cheaper on fleabay, but Amazon is reliable.

I do not like putting this right on the ice- it spins around to easy. It would be nice if it would stay put when I put it down. I tried putting it on the lid of a bucket but there too, it spins pretty easy.

EDIT: #7X9/16 whaler screws for metal stud construction worked out really well to give the bottom some bite in the ice. Thanks Rip n Lips

What have you folks built and what advice might you have if you were building it again.

Thanks

sinneD

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: DIY Genz type boxes
« Reply #1 on: Sep 14, 2014, 08:39 PM »

Then again- why restrain myself with a 5 gallon round bucket? The neighbor has cats and the 5 gallon pails that she gets he litter in a rectangular with a decent snap down lid. Though they are not as sturdy as my drywall buckets.  Anyone use them? How do they hold up?

I use one to store/transport a fan light combo ..not sure I would use for much more than that ..be sure and attach the lid via a rope or zip tie ...likes the wind .

Thread with a wooden Genz box

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=70397.msg694861#msg694861
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline hankthecrank

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Nothing better than DR PEPPER on shaved ice.
« Reply #2 on: Sep 15, 2014, 06:20 AM »
Looks cool to me, I would personally Swiss cheese it to lighten it up some. Other than than that looks good to me.
DR PEPPER POWERED PIKE HUNTER

THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FISHING AND CATCHING, IS ONE FISH.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Sep 15, 2014, 08:34 AM »
I built one a couple years ago for a fish finder. Worked ok but it was a bit over built and heavy. I have a 1" thick piece of closed cell foam glued to the bottom for insulation and I made mine sit lower instead of sitting up high so it doesn't catch as much wind. I got an ice45 so now I only take the wood box with me from time to time to lend to friends who don't have a flasher or finder.

Offline Rip N Lips

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Sep 21, 2014, 05:58 AM »
Try a few Carbide race screws in the bottom to stop the spin. 

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 02, 2014, 06:22 AM »
improvements? couple coats of polyurethane and a flasher

Offline JIMC_ND

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 03, 2014, 02:20 PM »
For cord management I'd look at closing off your compartments in your next build.

Jim Carroll NPAA #13

Offline Eddie Spaghetti

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 17, 2014, 07:25 PM »
Sinne, Very nice looking unit. Here's one I built a few years ago for my X67C. Nothing too fancy. I now use a foam float that fits in the space below the FF with the extra cable.

Around back, I have space for some jig boxes and other assorted goodies. The battery is stored below the jig cases.

To me, weight is the biggest issue. If I was to make a new one, I might try using Starboard or some other type of material that could be lighter.

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
« Reply #8 on: Oct 17, 2014, 07:50 PM »
eddie   why dont you use the bag that comes with the unit? i got the x67 and the bag dont weigh anything. to keep the zipper out of the snow/slush i tie strapped a old video cassette case to the bottom. it works great, and its alot lighter than any wood...
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline Johnsonarcher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 24, 2014, 09:52 AM »
I like these ideas, I've been wanting to make my own box that has room for two batteries, so I can experiment with accessories.

Offline Steellord

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 27, 2014, 10:09 PM »
Here's what my brother in law built for me to mount my fishfinder to. It was originally used with a Humminbird Pirahnamax 160 but I have modified it to use the HDS-5 from my boat.

Steellord
Hardwater Fisherman
ICQ# 24735418
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fishing is not a matter of life or death.
It's much more serious than that!!

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 02, 2014, 12:21 PM »
I built one out of a cut down small 6 pack cooler. I used hanger brackets and a pvc sleeved rod for the handle and head mount. I still have it, I'll see if I can locate it and take a pic.
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 02, 2014, 12:47 PM »
In response to the kitty litter buckets if there the yellow ones with a red top they hold up well for me and the lid is tight they come in handy for a lot of things and pack better than round buckets :tipup:

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 02, 2014, 12:47 PM »
In response to the kitty litter buckets if there the yellow ones with a red top they hold up well for me and the lid is tight they come in handy for a lot of things and pack better than round buckets :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.