Author Topic: What/how,to run lights in shanty  (Read 2215 times)

Offline FinnHunt3r

• IceShanty Rookie
What/how,to run lights in shanty
« on: Sep 10, 2014, 09:19 PM »
Just picked up a frabill trekker dlx thermal shanty and I have seen guys on here run rope lights somehow through the poles, just wondering how you all are doing this and what lights should I get for this method. Also how to run them? I'm assuming a 12v battery? Going to spend a lot of time on the ice, and want to get this thing decked out. Aldo thinking about building a console out of fiberglass for the center.

Offline Huntnfishvt

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: What/how,to run lights in shanty
« Reply #1 on: Sep 10, 2014, 09:49 PM »
Check amazon for the LED rope light and use zip ties to secure them to the pole or poles depending on how much light you want.  Amazon should also have good deals on 12 volt, 9 amp hour batteries.  You can manufacture a battery tray or I believe clamoutdoors.com sells them.  Search YouTube for led shanty lights and you should find something helpful.  Good luck.

Offline just_a_beer_man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Sep 10, 2014, 10:00 PM »
Lots of ideas on here if you do a search.  I'm in the process of running strip LEDs in my trekker dlx, the ones with the adhesive on the back.  Was going to go the route of a fiberglass console but decided to make a power box out of an ammo can instead to save on room.  If you search flip over power box there is a good link for direction. 
Flag!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Sep 11, 2014, 06:12 AM »
I ran one 2 foot strip or so of  Northern Bright lights with zip ties  on exterior of poles ..I also placed the exposed wires in a automotive wire sheath/cover...I  roll up the at the end of the day and place that in a neoprene cell phone case I got from the dollar store and then into the netted side pocket of my Adventurer(similar to a Trekker)  ...the ammo box is a great idea ..even if you don't do any mods to it ..just to carry the battery its quite useful. A 12v 7ah or 12v 9ah battery ..or off your fish flasher is the way to go battery wise ..I wouldn't run the wires though the poles ..but that's just my opinion .

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=264746.80
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Yankee Troller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Sep 11, 2014, 06:30 AM »
I used rope lights up top from Northern Lights with their on/off/dimmer remote. The bottom lights are Clam's LEDs for the sled. It gets stupid bright in my Yukon TC. I can't run wires down my poles because they are extendable, so I zip tied them nicely with the wires running down the back side so I can't see them. Left a loop where it extends that you only see when its collapsed.

Clam Pro & Yukon TC
Humminbird ICE55 & ICE HELIX 7
Thorne Bros Custom Ice Rods - Quiverstick, Power Noodle, Perch Sweetheart, Med Walleye Sweetheart, MH Walleye Sweetheart, and Deadstick
Daiwa Laguna Reels
Strikemaster 10" Lazer Pro & 6" Lazer
Ice Fishing Innovations Rod Locker

Offline FinnHunt3r

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Sep 11, 2014, 04:05 PM »
Thanks for the help guys this I found helpful too https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kTMbF9vN2eY

If anyone has any pics or directions that would help big time. I have done a few searches on here but nothing is step by step directions which is kind of what I need.  ???  ;D

Offline FinnHunt3r

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Sep 11, 2014, 04:07 PM »
Lots of ideas on here if you do a search.  I'm in the process of running strip LEDs in my trekker dlx, the ones with the adhesive on the back.  Was going to go the route of a fiberglass console but decided to make a power box out of an ammo can instead to save on room.  If you search flip over power box there is a good link for direction.

Will the adhesive hold up in cold temps?

Offline FinnHunt3r

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Sep 11, 2014, 04:13 PM »
I used rope lights up top from Northern Lights with their on/off/dimmer remote. The bottom lights are Clam's LEDs for the sled. It gets stupid bright in my Yukon TC. I can't run wires down my poles because they are extendable, so I zip tied them nicely with the wires running down the back side so I can't see them. Left a loop where it extends that you only see when its collapsed.

Do you have a link for the lights, those are sweet

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Sep 11, 2014, 04:44 PM »
link for lights

http://www.northernbrightlights.com/

Red Rock Wilderness store also sells them

I believe others have used the adhesive with limited success ..dosent hold up to the cold ....small zip ties are the way to go ..I tried the velco cable ties ...ok but went to zip ties
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline FinnHunt3r

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Sep 11, 2014, 05:21 PM »
Ok ordered these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HSF65MC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and a dimmer total cost was $17. They are adhesive, but I will be zip typing them to the bars as well. We shall see. I have a 12v battery and a spare ammo box so I will be wiring that up soon. Shanty won't be here for another week or so, I'm hoping by next week while the weather is still nice enough to get this done. Any tips or pics or directions will be helpful.

Offline Cfilbert

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Sep 11, 2014, 05:42 PM »
Ok ordered these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HSF65MC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and a dimmer total cost was $17. They are adhesive, but I will be zip typing them to the bars as well. We shall see. I have a 12v battery and a spare ammo box so I will be wiring that up soon. Shanty won't be here for another week or so, I'm hoping by next week while the weather is still nice enough to get this done. Any tips or pics or directions will be helpful.

I used the same in the permanent.  Adhesive sucks.  I used two strips and stapled them around the top.  Definitely bright.  Have to order a dimmer yet.
Is the ice thick enough yet?

Offline FinnHunt3r

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Sep 18, 2014, 06:41 AM »

For anyone reading this. These lights are not the waterproof ones, found out when they arrived in my doorstep.  :'( oh well I will use them until they burn up and get a set of water proof ones. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BH91W9G/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/175-3082897-3649321?keywords=waterproof%20led%20lights%2012v&qid=1388627406&ref_=sr_1_7&sr=8-7

So I got my shanty together tonight, start on the lights and I am wondering how you guys ran them with telescoping poles? I have some extra lights at the end of it (running across and down my shanty) and I really don't want to take a risk in cutting and soldering. I don't trust my skills. Any one have a suggestion or how you did yours?

Offline Yankee Troller

• Team IceShanty Regular
Clam Pro & Yukon TC
Humminbird ICE55 & ICE HELIX 7
Thorne Bros Custom Ice Rods - Quiverstick, Power Noodle, Perch Sweetheart, Med Walleye Sweetheart, MH Walleye Sweetheart, and Deadstick
Daiwa Laguna Reels
Strikemaster 10" Lazer Pro & 6" Lazer
Ice Fishing Innovations Rod Locker

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Sep 18, 2014, 07:11 AM »
So I got my shanty together tonight, start on the lights and I am wondering how you guys ran them with telescoping poles? I have some extra lights at the end of it (running across and down my shanty) and I really don't want to take a risk in cutting and soldering. I don't trust my skills. Any one have a suggestion or how you did yours?

You may be able to cut the strip once ...allowing for proper length ...I know some LED strips allow you do do this ...not certain about yours though... I just ran mine across the top and down the top pole with zip ties  for the "extra" ends I added this to my ends   http://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-Bender-1-2-in-3-5-ft-Spiral-Wrap-Clear-FSP-CLEART/202905460... add a velco cable tie ...then got a cheap dollar store neoprene cover case (I believe for an Ipod ) roll up the cord(w/cable tie) and put it in the neoprene case then into netted pocket of the shelter EZPZ..Close your shelter and away you go.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #14 on: Sep 18, 2014, 07:44 AM »
For my shack I just kept it simple and got two short rope lights. they are the older clam ones, however I have seen them with some other name on the package for $4.99 a rope at scheels.

Rope lights with zip ties.

wires ran to clam battery tray.

wires ran down outside of pole.

Offline FinnHunt3r

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Sep 18, 2014, 08:15 AM »
You may be able to cut the strip once ...allowing for proper length ...I know some LED strips allow you do do this ...not certain about yours though... I just ran mine across the top and down the top pole with zip ties  for the "extra" ends I added this to my ends   http://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-Bender-1-2-in-3-5-ft-Spiral-Wrap-Clear-FSP-CLEART/202905460... add a velco cable tie ...then got a cheap dollar store neoprene cover case (I believe for an Ipod ) roll up the cord(w/cable tie) and put it in the neoprene case then into netted pocket of the shelter EZPZ..Close your shelter and away you go.

Thats not a bad idea, given my rep with the ammo box I'm not going to push my luck  ;D I really want a clean look with these, I will probably go a similar path.

Offline thewyler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go hard or go home
« Reply #16 on: Sep 18, 2014, 08:34 AM »
Led strip lights work best, crimp connectors, good crimping pliers, 16ga trailer wire is fine, car battery's, velar battery's, I use a moped battery I had lying around it all works.....NEVER CROSS YOUR WIRES RED SHOULD ALLWAYS ,EET RED AND BLACK SHOULD ALLWAYS MEET BLACK. Crossing the wores wil fry your diodes
go hard or go home

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Sep 18, 2014, 07:18 PM »
could try to use a heat gun and heat shrink tubing in clear color before you add the cover to the shanty or take the cover off one of the two sorry don't want you to burn the shanty cover.for like a 7/8 inch tube you would need a 1-/14 inch shrink tube use the heat gun on high to shrink it up.  leave loops in the wires so to fully open those collapsible poles is how i would do it... but heat shrink would be best that or zip ties... i don't like zip ties they catch on every thing and have sharp edges.  that why i prefer heat shrink tubing.   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.