Author Topic: tent or flasher?  (Read 11592 times)

Offline BRIFISH

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: tent or flasher?
« Reply #30 on: Sep 18, 2014, 04:14 PM »
Flasher first, craigslist for a great deal on a shack

Offline TJR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Sep 18, 2014, 04:55 PM »
Flasher

Offline sorenson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing - it's not just for breakfast anymore.
« Reply #32 on: Sep 18, 2014, 05:08 PM »
Decide what is more important to you.

catching more fish or comfort

the question will then answer itself.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #33 on: Sep 18, 2014, 06:54 PM »
OK, here's the plan... Show her the Marcum LX-9, $1,200.00! Then settle with a VX-1P at $329, maybe she will let you get the shanty too! ;D

I have to confess, this ploy has never worked for me. :-\

I would get the Flasher first! ;)
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline TIP DOWN BUD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Sep 18, 2014, 07:38 PM »
Was in the same situation last year. I got the flasher. When your catching fish you tend to forget about how cold it is out

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #35 on: Sep 18, 2014, 07:43 PM »
OK, here's the plan... Show her the Marcum LX-9, $1,200.00! Then settle with a VX-1P at $329, maybe she will let you get the shanty too! ;D

I have to confess, this ploy has never worked for me. :-\

I would get the Flasher first! ;)

I see where you going with this ...but instead just buy the VX-1...show her how much money you saved by not buying the LX-9..and then tell her it matches your purse ...I mean wallet .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline IDbasser

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Sep 18, 2014, 10:32 PM »
I have to agree with most and say flasher.  I bought the Marcum VX-1 last year for my boys to use.  easy to use and easy to read.  I use a lowrance and I can say that LCD screen goes through the battery faster than the Marcum does.  I had a shelter first, the kids use the shelters more than I do.

On a side note, I saw someone mention cameras.  I have had one for several years and only used it a couple of times.

Offline Elrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Sep 19, 2014, 08:58 PM »
I bought the flasher, ion auger and hut all on the same weekend and my wife was with me. She shook her head, but that is the beauty of each having a slush fund the other can't make comments about purchases from. The boat, now thats another story, i still hear about it alot, but she does like it too  ;D

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Oct 13, 2014, 09:27 AM »
Flasher for sure. You can always fish out of your truck door like the North Dakota boys. I wear good clothes cause I enjoy fishing outside more and hole hoping. Need to warm up just drill a dozen holes. You can find shacks very fair priced used also
Fishin red lines

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Oct 13, 2014, 09:29 PM »
lowrance elite 3x ($99) and a 1 man flip over would fit the bill

Catchin' Fish

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Oct 14, 2014, 05:36 PM »
Get yourself a nice flasher and a good quality ice suit. I own a Clam ProTC flip and seldom get in it. It is nice to have when it gets really nasty out though. But mostly I pull my gear around in it. My style is to cut a series of holes, drop the flasher in them, fish them hard for a few minutes each and if I don't stir up some action, I then move on down the point or shoreline. A good ice suit, with some proper light layering, is like wearing a nice shelter and I've fished in the open in sub-zero weather. Best of success to you!

- wyoutdoors  :tipup:

Offline IMP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Oct 24, 2014, 09:16 AM »
Flasher

Offline tomjohn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Oct 24, 2014, 06:22 PM »
Put yer foot down and tell the wife yer getting both.....lol
When hell freezes over Ill Ice fish there too

Offline dirtyted

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Nov 08, 2014, 05:52 AM »
I was in the same predicament last year, I went with the flasher and would do it again.  Its probaly the best thing I bought for ice fishing.  I can do without a shelter, but wont go without my flasher

Offline nova

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Nov 08, 2014, 06:19 AM »
Definitely a flasher then a tent

Offline lippy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Nov 08, 2014, 06:34 AM »
get the flasher and lay up u'll be good to go. good luck.

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Nov 15, 2014, 12:17 PM »
My lx5 has been a game changer for me. A good gps with points marked from my boat before hand is a must also. Just tell her the fish trap and flasher was a package deal.

Offline MLRTYM

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Dec 21, 2014, 09:29 AM »
Just bought a Vexilar FL-20. It is awesome. Flasher without question.

Offline chop1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Dec 21, 2014, 10:15 AM »
i bought a marcum lx3 tc a few weeks ago and now looking for a tent . can't decide between a hub or flip . i fish mostly alone . i like the idea of a roomy hub
(eskimo 949) but also like to run and gun . decisions decisions  ???

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #49 on: Dec 21, 2014, 10:20 AM »
Hub will make you stay put ....a flip is portable will let you run and fish ...glad you choose a flasher and good luck with it . What type of fisher are you or will be ....tip up with some jigging or a jigging fisherman that uses some tip ups?
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline chop1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Dec 21, 2014, 10:36 AM »
i'm still learning the rope but i think i fall in the  jigging fisherman that uses some tip ups. i have a clam ice suit to stay warm , just want shelter for the real cold days . i think the hub takes  less room and if i  have my son come  out i will need a little more room .  pros and cons

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #51 on: Dec 21, 2014, 10:47 AM »
I like the mobility of a flip type shanty...
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Iceattic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Dec 21, 2014, 10:52 AM »
I'm ice fishing since I was 6yrsold old and I'm 44 now. My wife got me a tent 5yrs ago for christmas and if I was in it 3 times that's a lot.when she goes she drags it, my sled is full and don't want to drag 2,I fish alone most of the time.I just got a vexliar fl8 and I'm new at that,never used one. But most guys have them and said if they forgot the flasher,they would drive back home and get it.I would go with the flasher,and get the tent next year,or buy a cheap pop up blind and u can have both?

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #53 on: Dec 21, 2014, 11:08 AM »
I like the mobility of a flip type shanty...

That would be my choice ...many makes and models to choose from ...remember when fishing alone you could always remove one seat out of a two man ...many threads/opinions of what the many choices offer just do a search of that particular make/model and read away ...couple things with hub shelters I would point out ...door size ...window height ...tent height..all vary best way is to determine which is right is to check some out ...even just one will give you a sense of whats to your liking ..most ice fisherman will let you view their set up on ice ..and give you pros and cons of their hub .

Offline BROOKIEGILLY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Dec 22, 2014, 05:35 PM »
I love the mobility of a flip. I hardly ever get it right the first time. I had a hub and it kept me from moving,

Offline time_out

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Dec 22, 2014, 10:12 PM »
When I was faced with this decision ,I bought both . I was able to wait for deals and bought both within my budget. Easy choice
Aim above morality. Be not simply good; be good for something.
    Henry David Thoreau, Walden, 1854

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Dec 22, 2014, 10:30 PM »
flasher
bought the lx-7 last season, first flasher after seeing many others out there. Buy some good arctic carhart coveralls and skip the shelter this year.  no sense settling getting comfy in a shelter and not knowing whats below the ice...it truly is a game changer, I almost feel foolish not owning a real ice fishing fish finder before this past season other than I am real glad that I have had nothing but positive experiences with the lx-7

Offline Lostboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Looking for stiff water
« Reply #57 on: Dec 22, 2014, 10:38 PM »
Flasher all the way. I got a Lowrance M68 Ice machine and a Showdown Dual beam (for Dad). I don't bother hauling out the tent unless I need it. Wouldn't be caught dead out on the ice without the following... Flasher, Spring Bobbers and Spikes... the rest is all optional... or just about optional...  :roflmao:

Offline BWB-ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Dec 23, 2014, 10:54 AM »
I don't always bring my hut with me...
I NEVER, EVER go fishing without my flasher (and actually bring a spare one to boot!).
"If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago". Zane Grey

"The water you touch in a river is the last of that which has passed, and the first of that which is coming; thus it is with time". Leonardo DaVinci

Offline nova

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Dec 24, 2014, 07:04 AM »
I'd get a flip, throw all your gear in and go.  I have both flips and hubs, probably haven't used a hub in 5 years.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.