Author Topic: # 8 Inline Reel Sneak Peak  (Read 2930 times)

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
# 8 Inline Reel Sneak Peak
« on: Sep 05, 2014, 05:32 PM »
8 fishing coming out with a new inline reel this year. Don't know anything about it other than the picture and the retail price of $34.99.

Offline MBrown4

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There's a buggy whip!
Re: # 8 Inline Reel Sneak Peak
« Reply #1 on: Sep 05, 2014, 05:44 PM »
I do believe that 13 fishing is the same company. This could be a plastic 6061.good for panfish

Offline brittlab

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • HARD WATER ROCKS
« Reply #2 on: Sep 05, 2014, 05:52 PM »
From their FB page:

little more about this amazing ice reel...

The CGi ice reel is packed full of features all ice anglers demand, and for a price that will not break the bank at 34.99.

This inline reel is built on a carbon frame making it extremely light weight and less susceptible to cold conditions.

The built in fender is an added feature that allows you to palm the reel, freeing your hand from the revolving spool.

It comes equipped with a high-spin free spool that allows you to send the smallest baits to the depths.

The gearing on the CGi is 2.7:1 making this reel extremely efficient when fishing at any depth of water.

A bait-clicker is also an added feature making it easy to detect dead-stick bites.

See you on the frozen pond.......Mike

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Sep 05, 2014, 07:23 PM »
Hopefully drag stays in place. Eagle Claws worked ok after adding a second washer which by looking at the schematics should of had two to begin with. 8 looks good in the pic! I'll try one out. Nice that it doesn't break the bank.

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Sep 05, 2014, 10:19 PM »
I'll be ordering 6. Thanks for the info :)

Offline PTOjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Sep 17, 2014, 01:18 PM »
We have plenty on the way! We can ship too!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Sep 17, 2014, 02:28 PM »
I'll have stop over to my buds and put my hands on one , looks good

Offline MBrown4

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There's a buggy whip!
« Reply #7 on: Sep 18, 2014, 08:13 AM »
Let me know what you think release

Offline GWK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Sep 21, 2014, 07:06 PM »
what is the weight of this reel?

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 15, 2014, 10:29 PM »
Tore the reel down side by side next to an Eagle Claw. Conclusion was for an extra 9 bucks retail you get the added palm fender and couple other cosmetics other than that nothing. Both reels are ok for the money imo and both extended the length of the stem. So the new Eagle Claws have longer stems making them more friendly to bulky gloves I guess. It's still side bulky I taped it on at a bit of a slant so it's not pulling down on the rod handle. It feels a bit awkward attached normally. The link has the break down pics.
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=292850.20

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 16, 2014, 06:51 AM »
Did they fix the drag at all?  The eagle claw's always loosen up on me and I end up cranking air.

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 16, 2014, 04:59 PM »
It's better actually and seems smoother only thing I could see different was some hairline cuts all through the outer bearing assembly ring. Not sure if that's what it's called but last year's was solid. I used the CGI today vertical fishing I liked it.

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Oct 17, 2014, 04:45 PM »
Tore the reel down side by side next to an Eagle Claw. Conclusion was for an extra 9 bucks retail you get the added palm fender and couple other cosmetics other than that nothing. Both reels are ok for the money imo and both extended the length of the stem. So the new Eagle Claws have longer stems making them more friendly to bulky gloves I guess. It's still side bulky I taped it on at a bit of a slant so it's not pulling down on the rod handle. It feels a bit awkward attached normally. The link has the break down pics.
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=292850.20

Are the #8 inline reels ambidextrous? The reason I'm asking is on the Fishing USA website they sell a right or left hand model.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #13 on: Oct 17, 2014, 05:31 PM »
They are NOT ambidextrous, that's why they come left or right handed!!  ;)
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Oct 17, 2014, 05:37 PM »
Are the #8 inline reels ambidextrous? The reason I'm asking is on the Fishing USA website they sell a right or left hand model.
To answer your question, no they are not. If you look at the picture above you will notice the "fender" is in a fixed position and part of the body of the reel itself. I think you might run into line retrieval problems if you were to try flipping the bearings and using it for the opposite hand it was intended for by the looks of the angle on the back of that fender.

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Oct 17, 2014, 06:53 PM »

You can flip the bearing assemble still like the Eagle Claws but that would put the palm guard on the front side of the reel. That's why they have left and right hand options.

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Oct 18, 2014, 11:39 AM »
They are NOT ambidextrous, that's why they come left or right handed!!  ;)
Thanks Old Sailor,

When they say right handed I take it they mean you would reel with your right hand.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #17 on: Oct 18, 2014, 11:50 AM »
You are correct!!  Let's say you have your spinning reel handle on the left side, that would be considered left handed.  But spinning reels, among others can be switched, the No. 8 GCI can't. Just like a baitcaster can't. If you like holdind the rod in one certain hand then you want the handle on the opposite side. Sounds confusing when you fish right handed and buy a left handed reel!! ::)
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline NEicebuster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Nov 02, 2014, 02:41 PM »
Mine will be here Tuesday!!! ;D :roflmao:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.