The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Inline reels??  (Read 695 times)

Offline NordicJigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
Inline reels??
« on: Sep 02, 2014, 05:11 PM »
I bought a Black Betty inline reel last winter and just about threw it away. What is all rage with the inline reels? My line would freeze up and try to come unspooled. Seems worse that an open face reel.

Am I doing something wrong or what are others opinions?

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
Re: Inline reels??
« Reply #1 on: Sep 02, 2014, 10:06 PM »
Only one I've ever seen in action was Fraybills. Worst drag I've ever seen on a fishing reel. I've read a bit about them on the MT boards and it doesn't appear that they worked well for anyone. I was going to get one but after seeing that Fraybil reel and talking to Josh about his I decided against it.

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Sep 02, 2014, 10:25 PM »
ive got the eagle claw, and i hate it. it sets on the bookshelf

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Sep 03, 2014, 08:18 AM »
Last year I bought a HT inline reel and it's ok but takes some getting use to.  The thing I don't like is the small handle to reel the line up and that it takes a while to get my lure back down, just like a fly reel.  The main reason I got it to try out is because I kept seeing people post it keeps your jig from spinning in a circle.   For years I uses a spinning reel with no problems and at this point I'm leaning to sticking with the spinning reel but will give the HT a few more tries to be fair in my evaluation.  For the most part they seem to be a matter of preference just like anything else.

Offline tiptoe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Sep 04, 2014, 09:19 PM »
If you like the inline reel concept you might consider giving the more inexpensive eagle claw or frabill units a try. I have both and find them enjoyable to use. I prefer the eagle claw over the frabill because I think that the drag is smoother. The free spool feature works pretty well as long as you adjust it properly for each jig.

As for doing something wrong...I had several "learning experiences" with EC making sure that the drag was fully engaged when setting the hook. After dropping the jig to the desired depth you need to crank the reel until you hear not only the 1st click but the 2nd click as well to be sure that the drag is engaged.

Good Luck.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.