Author Topic: Whatcha using for a shanty??  (Read 8034 times)

Offline flatironfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Whatcha using for a shanty??
« on: Sep 01, 2014, 11:10 AM »
Hey guys, I'm in the market for a new shanty and I wanted to get some other people's input on which one I should get.  I use a Shappell now, and it's OK, but the bench seat is killing my back, and the frame is just plain "chincy."  I've been looking at the Clams, Otter's & Frabills.  I'm pretty stuck on the Frabills, but I'm not sure which one is "the best for me."  I thought about the Predetor, but 2 things stand in my way, weight, and folded height.  They are heavier than a tank, and they stand too high folded to fit under my tonneau cover.  So I thought about the Guardian, but they don't make it anymore, only in the thermal version.  So then I looked at the Trekker DLX, but I'm just not feeling it with that one.  Anyone have one and just absolutely love it??  Further more, should I just spend the money and get the thermal Guardian??  I love the Predetor, I just wish it was a little lighter and shorter folded.  Weight is only an issue in the early and late season when I'm too chicken to put the wheeler on sketchy ice.  What do ya think guys??   ??? ??? ???

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars." - Unknown

Offline Dan J

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Whatcha using for a shanty??
« Reply #1 on: Sep 01, 2014, 11:34 AM »
If you have room keep the lite shack for early ice. I have a Clam Pro 1 man for walking out. Planning on a Otter cabin 1200 Togo with my soon to get ATV. If I had more room in my enclosed trailer I would get the Lodge. I looked at the Frabills and they are very nice. Which ever shack you go with enjoy it and have fun.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Sep 01, 2014, 11:56 AM »
Weight is always a concern ....but if the seats are removable.. then just get something ...a bucket ...sports type chair ..for your early and late ice outings ..I have a Frabill Adventurer(similar to a Trekker) got the HT sports chairs ...love it ...light ..roomy (as a one man)  lil tight for two big guys . I also have an older Frabill 3 seat Ranger ..heavy and does not fit in the back of an SUV....so that stay home ...good luck with your search.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Sep 01, 2014, 03:48 PM »
this year for early ice I will be using a Clam Scout XL Thermal. Last year for early ice I used a Clam Scout EXP (thermal cap). once I can drive the truck out I will switch to my Clam Legend Thermal. Next  year I am planning to add one of the new Clam X2 Pro thermals (new 1800 denier fabric) to my house line up. as for the thermal fabric, I will not have a house with out it. it does make a difference. the big thing is you use less propane to heat the house and there is no dripping inside the house like there is with non thermal houses. as for a house that would fit in you truck box I would checkout the Clam Legend XL thermal (one man house that is 14" tall when folded down into the packed position), or the thermal Nanook which is 21" tall when folded down, and there is the new Runner thermal model that is 18" when folded down.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Online filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Sep 01, 2014, 05:37 PM »
Build a smitty and save your back , first and last ice I'm dragging about 80 lbs gear included , buy what suits your needs , look at as many as possible

Offline jchunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Sep 01, 2014, 05:50 PM »
I Have a Guardian that's non-thermal. It's nice and roomy with some room to stand up, which is nice. I wish it was thermal. It's on the heavy side if your pulling it by hand in more than 4-6" of snow. I built a smitty sled for when I'm pulling it longer distances when the snow makes it a work out. I usually have too much stuff packed in it since it has quite a bit of storage. But most of the time I pull it with my snowmobile so then the weight isn't an issue. I would get sick of pulling it around by hand all season. I might be wrong but I think the Guardian and Predator are about the same size and weight with the Predator having heavier duty poles. My buddy has a Trekker and they are nicer for pulling by hand. If I didn't have a snowmobile and wanted to do more run and gun type fishing with two guys we take my buddies Trekker and leave my Guardian behind. I know that whatever my next flip over will be it will have thermal. If you can afford to go thermal do it. If you have to pull a shack all season by hand regardless of size you should look into building a smitty sled if you don't already have one. They cut the work in half at least.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Sep 01, 2014, 09:47 PM »
Yeah, I built a smitty last year, WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!!!!  I'm really leaning towards a thermal no matter what I get.  I'm a pretty big guy, with a ton of stuff that I take with me, so even though it's just me, a 2-3 person shanty is a must, (and occasianally a buddy goes with me.)  As for the Clams, I really wasn't impressed with their seats.  They just didn't look as comfortable as the Frabills.  I sat in a few Frabills last year and their seats are very comfy.  So, I guess my heart's stuck on Frabill, I just don't know whether to get the Guardian Thermal, or Trekker DLX Thermal.  I guess I'll just have to wait until Bass Pro, or Gander Mnt. gets their stuff out so I can "kick the tires" on the new Frabills.   ;D

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars." - Unknown

Offline Elysium

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Sep 01, 2014, 11:38 PM »
Really like my Trekker II. I think they still make them. I got it 2 years ago. If your tall though, it may be too small to stand in. Im not too big but 2 guys in mine is snug. Folding seats are plenty comfy. Mine is not the thermal version, but brutal cold last year didn't phase me in the shack. I am going to make some sort of rubber/carpet floor for it to help with keeping heat in.

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Sep 02, 2014, 12:25 AM »

i under stand you liking for frabill i own one and they are awesome. quick question what about the eskimo shanty the thermal one with the iq fabric ? i know there seat the versa chair is not bad either from what i have been hearing about them?   it is one of the shanties i want is the wide one but just a thought they do make a two man in the same version as the wide one is why i brought this up  just a thought? but for sure get a thermal what ever you do!

this is the model to be exact.

http://www.geteskimo.com/Foundations/store/shopdetail.asp?params=15450

not saying frabill is junk they are not they make one of the best shanties just thinking this may work?

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Sep 02, 2014, 09:59 AM »
The only problem with the Eskimo sleds is the lack of local dealers in my area.  I've looked at them, and they do look nice, but to have 1 shipped to my house would be outrageous.  I'm pretty sure that I've decided to go with the Frabill Guardian thermal.  Now I just have to wait for Gander or Bass Pro to get them on the floor.  Thanks for all your input guys!

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Sep 02, 2014, 12:38 PM »
The only problem with the Eskimo sleds is the lack of local dealers in my area.  I've looked at them, and they do look nice, but to have 1 shipped to my house would be outrageous.  I'm pretty sure that I've decided to go with the Frabill Guardian thermal.  Now I just have to wait for Gander or Bass Pro to get them on the floor.  Thanks for all your input guys!

gander is carrying the eskimo this year according to their web site.  is why i thought to mention it but it is up to you...was just trying to give more options just encase one is not available. 

Offline ADKLakerTaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Sep 02, 2014, 12:51 PM »
Clam Vista

Hard tell'n, not know'n

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Sep 02, 2014, 01:38 PM »
Oh, I looked at the Eskimos last year and came close to buying 1, the shipping scared me though. I just don't know about those seats though. I think my minds made up. Thanks for the input guys! Here's to a good hard water season!!!

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Sep 02, 2014, 02:14 PM »
Oh, I looked at the Eskimos last year and came close to buying 1, the shipping scared me though. I just don't know about those seats though. I think my minds made up. Thanks for the input guys! Here's to a good hard water season!!!

at least you know your getting a great shanty with the frabill by the way i know were to get a predator thermal for $899  like said i don't think it will fit? cause of the tanaeu cover ? if you need the link to it at that price just let me know there is also a frabill trekker thermal there for $416 if interested let me know. i will pm you the link.. ya i wish i knew more about the eskimo in general and the seats cause  the wide one would be awesome for me. and yes here is to another great and safe hard water season! 

Offline just_a_beer_man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Sep 02, 2014, 05:42 PM »
I picked up a trekker dlx not thermal 2 years ago. Perfect for what I need.  We fit 2 guys plus gear no problem and we arent exactly on the small side. Fits nicely under the toneau cover also. Seats are awsome.  Pulls no problem even with snow.  One buddy has the predater and its too tall to fit with the cover on. 
Flag!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Sep 02, 2014, 06:51 PM »
Last year I bought the Eskimo Fatfish 949I and got a great deal from Glenn's.  Free shipping and 10% off discount code that was posted here, all said and done it cost me $256.49. 

Offline big scott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Sep 03, 2014, 03:26 PM »
Last year I bought the Eskimo Fatfish 949I and got a great deal from Glenn's.  Free shipping and 10% off discount code that was posted here, all said and done it cost me $256.49.

got the same shanty, same price! absolutely awesome shanty!

Offline icecaptain14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Sep 03, 2014, 05:14 PM »
before you go spending your money frabill has released the new 2014 to 2015 product line I have a commando now and I love it I can fit 2 of them in my truck bed and still have room with a tuneua cover over them if your looking for a 2 man then stop on over to frabill and take a gander at the new side step shelters and find one suitable for your needs

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Sep 03, 2014, 07:13 PM »
I agree that the Fatfish 949I is a great shanty, am very happy with it, and would definitely buy it again.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Sep 03, 2014, 07:20 PM »
Wow, that's a smoking deal on the Eskimo!!  I want a flip-over style though.  Wife says I'm too fussy!!   ;D ;D

As for the side step Frabills, from what I can see they are not flip-overs, correct??

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Sep 03, 2014, 07:55 PM »
No the Fatfish and Quickfish are pop-ups but Eskimo also makes flip over models they call the Quickflip 1 and 2, Wide 1, and the FlipMO.  Glenn's also sell the flip over models and you might end up getting a good deal on one of them. 

Offline big scott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Sep 04, 2014, 04:32 PM »

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Sep 04, 2014, 04:47 PM »
Nice Eskimo and blue flags.

Offline FinnHunt3r

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Sep 11, 2014, 08:08 PM »
Hey guys, I'm in the market for a new shanty and I wanted to get some other people's input on which one I should get.  I use a Shappell now, and it's OK, but the bench seat is killing my back, and the frame is just plain "chincy."  I've been looking at the Clams, Otter's & Frabills.  I'm pretty stuck on the Frabills, but I'm not sure which one is "the best for me."  I thought about the Predetor, but 2 things stand in my way, weight, and folded height.  They are heavier than a tank, and they stand too high folded to fit under my tonneau cover.  So I thought about the Guardian, but they don't make it anymore, only in the thermal version.  So then I looked at the Trekker DLX, but I'm just not feeling it with that one.  Anyone have one and just absolutely love it??  Further more, should I just spend the money and get the thermal Guardian??  I love the Predetor, I just wish it was a little lighter and shorter folded.  Weight is only an issue in the early and late season when I'm too chicken to put the wheeler on sketchy ice.  What do ya think guys??   ??? ??? ???

I've owned too many shanties, including the guardian. Loved the shanty but ditched it due to the weight. Fished in my buddies trekker and that's what I went with this time around. Weight is right and price point. I got mine from walmart online for $448 (that's with thermal!) can't go wrong. You'll like either one, but that guardian is a beast if you are gonna pull by hand at all I would look for something lighter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Sep 12, 2014, 07:27 PM »
Well, I'm getting frustrated with Frabill now!  I was just on their website and it looks like they've discontinued the Thermal Guardian flip-over!  Maybe I should look into one of the new "sidesteps" if I decide that I don't like the Thermal Trekker.  Oh, and while I'm on that, how "thermal" is the Thermal Trekker DLX??  I kinda looks like a regular style fabric to me as opposed to the thermal that's used on the Guardians and the Predator.  Now, back to the sidestep Frabills.  Has anyone used one??  How do they work?  I move around alot, and a hub style shanty just doesn't seem like it would be as portable as a flip-over like I use now.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #25 on: Sep 12, 2014, 07:37 PM »
Ambush side step video

&feature=youtu.be
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Sep 12, 2014, 07:54 PM »
Ambush side step video

&feature=youtu.be

Yup, I actually found this on my own a few minutes ago and watched it.  I don't know, they just look like a pain in the you know what to move.  I guess I just have to wait until Gander and Bass Pro gets their shantys on the floor so I can look them over and make a final decision.  Yes, I'm thinking too hard about this, but when it comes to my "toys" I do my homework and research the crap outta them!  Once again, thanks for all the input guys!!

Offline FinnHunt3r

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Sep 12, 2014, 09:58 PM »
Well, I'm getting frustrated with Frabill now!  I was just on their website and it looks like they've discontinued the Thermal Guardian flip-over!  Maybe I should look into one of the new "sidesteps" if I decide that I don't like the Thermal Trekker.  Oh, and while I'm on that, how "thermal" is the Thermal Trekker DLX??  I kinda looks like a regular style fabric to me as opposed to the thermal that's used on the Guardians and the Predator.  Now, back to the sidestep Frabills.  Has anyone used one??  How do they work?  I move around alot, and a hub style shanty just doesn't seem like it would be as portable as a flip-over like I use now.

I'll let u know when I get mine in two weeks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Sep 17, 2014, 09:35 PM »
Just so you know guys, WalMart just JACKED their price up on the Frabill Thermal Trekker DLX to over $600!  Gander still has them for a lot less, and hopefully when I'm ready to buy they keep it that way.  I'd jump on it now, but without going to the store and "kicking the tires" on one, I'd rather not committ just yet.  *fingers crossed*  :unsure:

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #29 on: Sep 18, 2014, 05:58 AM »
Just so you know guys, WalMart just JACKED their price up on the Frabill Thermal Trekker DLX to over $600!  Gander still has them for a lot less, and hopefully when I'm ready to buy they keep it that way.  I'd jump on it now, but without going to the store and "kicking the tires" on one, I'd rather not committ just yet.  *fingers crossed*  :unsure:

I have the Frabill Adventurer cousin to the Trekker ...love that thing good two man great one man ..lots of room for one but enough for two...seems like "all" the MSRP prices are marching up as it gets closer to ice ..I noticed some Red Rock closeouts are gone and same with some other sites ...I am sure sales will still be available throughout the season ..but with new MSRP going up ...might not be as good of a deal as now ...when I was looking at the Frabill ranger 3 man(not on the floor)...and I think the Clam  Voyager (on show floor)..Gander management said they get the Frabill delivered and if I didn't like it they would just add it to the floor ...just a thought .

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.