Author Topic: Whatcha using for a shanty??  (Read 8037 times)

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Whatcha using for a shanty??
« Reply #30 on: Sep 18, 2014, 06:06 AM »
Check craigslist. I use the 30$ 10lb Flip N' Fish i got off craigslist last year more than my 150$ clam. Weight is the name of the game for mobile fisherman.
Just gotta keep an eye on it when the wind kicks up lol.

Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline FinnHunt3r

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Sep 18, 2014, 06:44 AM »
Well, I'm getting frustrated with Frabill now!  I was just on their website and it looks like they've discontinued the Thermal Guardian flip-over!  Maybe I should look into one of the new "sidesteps" if I decide that I don't like the Thermal Trekker.  Oh, and while I'm on that, how "thermal" is the Thermal Trekker DLX??  I kinda looks like a regular style fabric to me as opposed to the thermal that's used on the Guardians and the Predator.  Now, back to the sidestep Frabills.  Has anyone used one??  How do they work?  I move around alot, and a hub style shanty just doesn't seem like it would be as portable as a flip-over like I use now.

Got my shanty yesterday, and put it together after work  ;D couldn't be more happier. The thermal is just as thick as the guardian and predator models. I don't know why it looks so deceiving in the pictures. Comparing it to my jason Mitchell one man, the fabric is defiantly thicker, I think I like it better. If I figure out how to post a pic from my iPhone I will upload one

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #32 on: Sep 18, 2014, 06:51 AM »
Got my shanty yesterday, and put it together after work  ;D couldn't be more happier. The thermal is just as thick as the guardian and predator models. I don't know why it looks so deceiving in the pictures. Comparing it to my jason Mitchell one man, the fabric is defiantly thicker, I think I like it better. If I figure out how to post a pic from my iPhone I will upload one

Very jealous you got the thermal Trekker? ...I should have jumped on that deal ...although thermal isn't really needed in my neck of the woods ..it wouldn't be a bad thing ..just to elevate the wind flap would be nice PS if anybody had a quick solution to my wind flap woes please pass it along ..man that gets annoying ...but those brutal days are when the fishing is just hands down the best . 
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline FinnHunt3r

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Sep 18, 2014, 08:13 AM »
Very jealous you got the thermal Trekker? ...I should have jumped on that deal ...although thermal isn't really needed in my neck of the woods ..it wouldn't be a bad thing ..just to elevate the wind flap would be nice PS if anybody had a quick solution to my wind flap woes please pass it along ..man that gets annoying ...but those brutal days are when the fishing is just hands down the best .

I saw that Walmart pushed their prices up.  :-\ There are still some good deals on other sites as well. $540 seems to be what they are running at. But don't forget to weigh the options of shipping cost. I didnt pay a thing cause I sent it sight to store. $448 was my total with tax. Thermal is nice for condensation too, I really didn't need thermal in western Michigan, but it kept me from getting rained on. At least a thermal cap is nice for that reason. Heck a lot of the time I didn't even need a header in my Jason Mitchell.

Offline bean counter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Sep 18, 2014, 08:27 AM »
Eskimo Wide One for me!  I got it half way thru the season last year, can't wait to use it for a whole season!

Offline FinnHunt3r

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Sep 18, 2014, 08:37 AM »
Here are some pics

Offline FinnHunt3r

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Sep 18, 2014, 08:41 AM »
Just so you know guys, WalMart just JACKED their price up on the Frabill Thermal Trekker DLX to over $600!  Gander still has them for a lot less, and hopefully when I'm ready to buy they keep it that way.  I'd jump on it now, but without going to the store and "kicking the tires" on one, I'd rather not committ just yet.  *fingers crossed*  :unsure:
[/quot

Gander usually runs a deal $150 off purchased of. $500 or more I bought a marcum lx5 on that deal and stole it for $350. Keep an eye out for that promotion if they do it again. I believe it was in December. Black Friday too if you can wait that long! ;)

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #37 on: Sep 18, 2014, 09:09 AM »
Here are some pics

Is that Trekker a Full thermal or just a cap ....think I am about to kick myself  >:(
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #38 on: Sep 18, 2014, 09:15 AM »
Kenai first and last ice and an X2,

Offline FinnHunt3r

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Sep 18, 2014, 09:32 AM »
Is that Trekker a Full thermal or just a cap ....think I am about to kick myself  >:(

Fully thermal  :tipup:

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #40 on: Sep 18, 2014, 09:37 AM »
Fully thermal  :tipup:

"Pins and needles, needles and pins... it's a happy man that grins." .  DOH

Offline spudsaway

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Sep 18, 2014, 09:43 AM »
3 man Rapala Low cost wish I had Bought a bit Bigger Holds two with a heater.  It holds up Ok but I  anchor it on three sides so I had to get an extra anchor.. I also have a One man Pak shack Flip over for when I an alone and the snow is deep...  I can carry either one and I Only walk out

Offline smitty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Sep 18, 2014, 12:48 PM »
Very close to pulling the trigger on a shappell wide house 6500. Anyone own one  pros/cons

smitty :tipup:

Offline flatironfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Sep 22, 2014, 08:46 PM »
I have the Frabill Adventurer cousin to the Trekker ...love that thing good two man great one man ..lots of room for one but enough for two...seems like "all" the MSRP prices are marching up as it gets closer to ice ..I noticed some Red Rock closeouts are gone and same with some other sites ...I am sure sales will still be available throughout the season ..but with new MSRP going up ...might not be as good of a deal as now ...when I was looking at the Frabill ranger 3 man(not on the floor)...and I think the Clam  Voyager (on show floor)..Gander management said they get the Frabill delivered and if I didn't like it they would just add it to the floor ...just a thought .

That's good to know! 

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars." - Unknown

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Sep 23, 2014, 10:27 AM »
I just got my frabill fishouflage ambush outpost hub in the mail the other day.. I will get some pictures of it when I go back home for the weekend! It looks pretty sweet!

Go Beavers!

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Sep 23, 2014, 11:17 AM »
I have a 4man estman outdoors pop up and a eskimo quick flip 2. I haven't found a reason to need thermal since my buddy heater puts out enough heat and I like to hole hop alot. If I'm all sweated up I just feel colder when I'm outside. Coldest I've been out in was -40C with the winds it was -55C the beard I was sporting at the time frost solid when setting up but once the heater was on I could fish without my gloves in my eskimo.

Offline FrostBack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Vegetarian: Cree word meaning poor hunter!
« Reply #46 on: Sep 23, 2014, 11:39 AM »
x2 on the QuickFlip 2 for solo runs, I added some creature comforts to it this summer and I back it up with a FatFish 949 Pop-up for days I have company along.

The difference between an 8" hole and a 10" hole is.....a 10" hole will usually give you your boot back!

In the food chain of life...its not good to be referred to as: "a good eating size".

Offline Retiredbum

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Sep 24, 2014, 07:48 AM »
I am 64 years old, I had two shelters witch I sold,  The one at my age was to heavy to hall around, And the one man was driving me crazy because it had no room, Felt like I was in a bag,  So now a sleld and nice ice chair, But being younger There are so many choices, I see these windbreaks that interest me, But weight is a factor for me.

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Sep 24, 2014, 06:47 PM »
I am 64 years old, I had two shelters witch I sold,  The one at my age was to heavy to hall around, And the one man was driving me crazy because it had no room, Felt like I was in a bag,  So now a sleld and nice ice chair, But being younger There are so many choices, I see these windbreaks that interest me, But weight is a factor for me.

seen a few people use these for wind brakes there viking deer drag sleds they only weight about 4-5 pounds + gear like: auger, rods, seat, scoops,  etc .... just set it against your back wile fishing with the wind to your back lot cheaper then a shappell wind break sled if you ask me? cost is about $33+ s&H from this link i am sure you can find them cheaper it the world wide web lol's.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Deer-Drag-Sled-Olive/19503957

Offline Retiredbum

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Sep 24, 2014, 07:22 PM »
Thanks thats a good idea . I was looking at my ice chair ,witch is a clam ,trying to figure out how to hook up a windbreak. On the back of it. I have to go light.

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Sep 28, 2014, 07:53 PM »
1man clam pro & a 6.5'x15' wheel house.
Kinda thinking about adding another clam to the line up this year.
Hard Ice

Offline Svengalli

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Sep 28, 2014, 09:15 PM »
Eskimo Quickfish3
Eskimo Fatfish9416
Clam Command Post

Made this and fits in all three.

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #52 on: Sep 28, 2014, 09:19 PM »
Shapell 6000 with a cot inside for ice camping. Most of my time on the ice is spent outside of it though chasing flags  ;D
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Sep 28, 2014, 10:17 PM »
Eskimo Quickflip II  and a Frabill Recon DLX 1 man.

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Top 5 Pike:14-5,15-5,15-10,17-0,18-4, 2B cont.
« Reply #54 on: Sep 29, 2014, 10:36 AM »
Clam Nanook with 1 seat for a roomy, light weight 1 man flipover. I would also like to add that our Cabela's has some ice gear on the floor already!  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Sep 29, 2014, 08:11 PM »
Clam voyager when i bring a buddy and eskimo quickfish3 for pond hopping.

Offline FinnHunt3r

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Oct 03, 2014, 11:09 AM »

Ok checked Wally World today http://www.walmart.com/ip/Frabill-Thermal-Trekker-DLX-Gray-Black/33006942 they have it for $530 which is what cabelas is running it for un-insulated. They also have a pop up 6-8man Frabill for $250 which I think is a steal.  ;D

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Oct 03, 2014, 12:34 PM »
I fish with a Clam BigFoot 4000XT. I love it.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Oct 03, 2014, 02:32 PM »
Ok checked Wally World today http://www.walmart.com/ip/Frabill-Thermal-Trekker-DLX-Gray-Black/33006942 they have it for $530 which is what cabelas is running it for un-insulated. They also have a pop up 6-8man Frabill for $250 which I think is a steal.  ;D

These will be on the floor in a week or two - great deal!!!!

http://www.farmandfleet.com/products/744168-frabill-trekker-thermal-deluxe-ice-shelter.html#.VC75efko7Gg

Last year they had Recon's for 150 and QF3's for 179 on sale

Catchin' Fish

Offline flatironfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #59 on: Oct 03, 2014, 04:42 PM »

These will be on the floor in a week or two - great deal!!!!

http://www.farmandfleet.com/products/744168-frabill-trekker-thermal-deluxe-ice-shelter.html#.VC75efko7Gg

Last year they had Recon's for 150 and QF3's for 179 on sale

Too bad I live in Upstate NY!!  I'm hoping Gander & Bass Pro has them on the floor soon.  I'm itching to kick the tires on this shanty to see if it's definitely the one I want!!!!

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars." - Unknown

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.