Author Topic: Ion Ice auger.  (Read 4370 times)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Ion Ice auger.
« on: Sep 01, 2014, 12:03 AM »
Anyone have any problems with an Ion ice auger? How's it fit in the back area of a voyager fish trap?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Ion Ice auger.
« Reply #1 on: Sep 01, 2014, 06:07 AM »
The ION is not as tall as my Strikemaster Mag 2000...had to bend over a bit to use the ION ..so it should fit in your Voyager . I had a chance to cut a hole or two about two years ago  with one ..light weight and cut fast through 1 foot of ice ...and quite ....keep the batteries warm....and charged.. if you search ION on the site you'll have plenty of information as to issues if any .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Sep 01, 2014, 06:38 AM »
The Ion comes with an extender if you need it. Otherwise its pretty short.

As mentioned above, tons of threads on this auger, just do a search.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline ADKLakerTaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Sep 01, 2014, 06:39 AM »
They cut pretty well, my best friend has one. It's on its going on its 3 rd year. The first year we would get about 50 holes out of a charge on about 18 inches of ice. Last year we got about 35 holes a trip. It would be great if there was better life with the battery. That's the only reason I don't own one yet.

Hard tell'n, not know'n

Offline Elysium

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Sep 01, 2014, 11:43 PM »
just put it in the truck or shack in extreme cold. Guy I work with has one. drilled a bunch of holes, was impressed. Left it sit out for maybe an hour in the cold and it had trouble getting going again.

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #5 on: Sep 02, 2014, 02:54 AM »
I'm sure most of you guys probably have seen this video already doing your research. It's about 8 minutes long.

Offline frldyz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Sep 03, 2014, 08:38 PM »
Absolutely love mine!!!!!

KEEP THE BATTERY WARM!!!!! I cant stress that enough.  Just put in your bibs with you.
Always put the blade guard on right away when not in use!!!!

Will NEVER go back to gas

I have had a couple battery issues.
But Ardism replaces it for me right away.

Offline vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Sep 05, 2014, 02:47 PM »
Have had mine for 2 years and love it!  Grandson and I go up to North Hero on Lake Champlain and we drill 30 or so holes for our tip ups and another ten or so for jigging all in close to 24" of ice with no problem.  Put the drill in the ice shack when not in use (by the stove)..  agree, keep it warm!!  Won't go back to gas again.  Much lighter and does a nice smooth cut.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #8 on: Sep 05, 2014, 04:31 PM »
Have had mine for 2 years and love it!  Grandson and I go up to North Hero on Lake Champlain and we drill 30 or so holes for our tip ups and another ten or so for jigging all in close to 24" of ice with no problem.  Put the drill in the ice shack when not in use (by the stove)..  agree, keep it warm!!  Won't go back to gas again.  Much lighter and does a nice smooth cut.

How much lighter is it?
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Sodusitous

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • That hole ain't gonna drill it's self !
« Reply #9 on: Sep 05, 2014, 08:49 PM »
Weighs in at about 22lbs. I used a friend's one day last year. Thought it was the cat's a$$.
 I am planning to purchase one this year. Hesitated for a week or so when I saw thst Strikemaster now has an Li auger in their line up. Then I saw the price. A little more than Im prepared to spend. $600 for auger and $300 for spare battery at Cabelas.  Im back on the Ion.
$500 snd $150 for extra battery.
"More is lost to indecision than wrong decision"

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #10 on: Sep 06, 2014, 08:08 AM »
My Strikemaster Honda Lite 8" weighs 23 lbs so that isn't a problem for me. I have never needed to refill gas in a days use so far. Seems to sip gas. I did look at the Ion and passed as they were having problems with a switch at the time.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #11 on: Sep 06, 2014, 09:32 AM »
My Strikemaster Honda Lite 8" weighs 23 lbs so that isn't a problem for me. I have never needed to refill gas in a days use so far. Seems to sip gas. I did look at the Ion and passed as they were having problems with a switch at the time.
Plus you don't have to keep the gas tank in your jacket!!!!  :woot: :whistle: ;)2
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Sep 06, 2014, 11:28 AM »
I did look at the Ion and passed as they were having problems with a switch at the time.

The Ion never had any issues with the switch. That was the IceGator.

Offline mattstark44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Sep 08, 2014, 09:08 AM »
I sold my Jiffy last season and I'm picking up an ION for this season.  I had my Jiffy for about 5 years and it was good to me.  I just want to try out the ION, seems like they sell out so if I don't like it I'll sell it and get most of my money back,  Seems like the reviews are pretty good except for a few. 

Offline frldyz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Sep 15, 2014, 11:50 AM »
I would love to have the ice gator.
Its sick how much faster it cuts holes over the ion.
Do a youtube video search.  It cuts 3 holes for every 2 holes an ion cuts ( speed )

But all the customer service issues. and issues with faulty wiring.
not for me

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Sep 15, 2014, 09:56 PM »
Had an Ion it was awesome. Had a propane auger as well lo ed it too. Then we found this and it's by far the best thing out there. Keeping batteries warm? Lol no need it sits out in the open with us. I believe Dewalt makes something similar now but Milwaukee is proven. Throw a 4 inch auger on it makes for a great swiss cheese cutter while someone follows with a camera. Pair it up with the synthetic lazer augers and it makes for a killer setup.
http://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/cordless/2604-22

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Sep 16, 2014, 05:33 AM »
Had an Ion it was awesome. Had a propane auger as well lo ed it too. Then we found this and it's by far the best thing out there. Keeping batteries warm? Lol no need it sits out in the open with us. I believe Dewalt makes something similar now but Milwaukee is proven. Throw a 4 inch auger on it makes for a great swiss cheese cutter while someone follows with a camera. Pair it up with the synthetic lazer augers and it makes for a killer setup.
http://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/cordless/2604-22

Just a FYI, it has been proven that the flat blade hand augers like the Mora work better on drill setups than the curved blade augers like Lazer.

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Sep 16, 2014, 06:35 AM »
Just a FYI, it has been proven that the flat blade hand augers like the Mora work better on drill setups than the curved blade augers like Lazer.

Lazer more aggressive and with a set of sweed blades and being lighter with synthetic spiral and no ice build up its better suited for our needs. We're only punching through 8 to 12 inches most of the time in Indiana. Last year was 24 inches at times and it did great for that too. So is mora style better for less effort on drills part perhaps because it's definitely not faster at punching through? Nills might work great I've never used one. Mora brand I'm not a fan of.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Sep 16, 2014, 06:45 AM »
Lazer more aggressive and with a set of sweed blades and being lighter with synthetic spiral and no ice build up its better suited for our needs. We're only punching through 8 to 12 inches most of the time in Indiana. Last year was 24 inches at times and it did great for that too. So is mora style better for less effort on drills part perhaps because it's definitely not faster at punching through? Nills might work great I've never used one. Mora brand I'm not a fan of.

The reason the curved blades on a hand auger work better when using by hand is because your not cutting at the same RPM as drill would.

Think of a gas auger or the Ion auger, look at the blades. Most of them are flat and dont curve up. This seems to aid in cutting smoother, as well as punching thru the ice and not hanging up. Having used both (Lazer and Mora) last season, I can tell you the Mora does a much better job.

Mora by hand is not great, but on a drill is probably your best choice.

Here is an example in the difference in the Mora and Lazer blade

Mora is Flat across

Lazer Curves up

Offline Dan J

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Sep 16, 2014, 02:25 PM »
I used a 6 inch Mora with the Milwaukee Fuel all last winter. Tried the Lazer but didn't like it as much as the Mora.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #20 on: Sep 16, 2014, 04:03 PM »
Well, I don't know about the curved vs. "straight" blade thing.  I use NILs and the blade/head has a curved profile.  I think it has way more to do with the pitch of the blade and angle it ground at.  I use my 8" NILs both by hand and with IceGator power head.  No "catching" at the break-though.  I've seen the lazer auger used on a Gator as well and it had no problems.  Can't the speed on a drill be regulated by the operator?  Beware - the NILs has to be properly sharpened. I got 3 seasons out of my first head.  Bought a spare and sent the off head in for sharpening service when needed.  I also have a 6" Normark Micro Ice (not available these days) but the same as the Normark "swede-bore" augers.  Straight "looking" blades and it cuts equally well by hand or attached to my Gator.  No hangups on the break-through with this auger either.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Sep 16, 2014, 04:49 PM »
Normark Fin-Bore III, Lazer, and Nils all use the curved blades. I have tried the Fin-Bore, Lazer, and mora on my Drill. The mora performed the best.

Offline Dan J

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Sep 16, 2014, 05:07 PM »
I agree with BaitBucket on. This one. I have a Nils gas auger and Mora on my Milwaukee drill setup and they both cut great with no catching at the bottom of the hole.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #23 on: Sep 16, 2014, 06:02 PM »
Normark Fin-Bore III, Lazer, and Nils all use the curved blades. I have tried the Fin-Bore, Lazer, and mora on my Drill. The mora performed the best.
Yes they are and the finbore and NILs both worked equally well when powered by hand or a powerhead.  AND, I'm willing to bet that if you do your "test" again, with three different augers (blade sets) your perceived results are likely to be different.  There's is no way that two augers of the same make will perform identically.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Sep 16, 2014, 06:39 PM »
Yes they are and the finbore and NILs both worked equally well when powered by hand or a powerhead.  AND, I'm willing to bet that if you do your "test" again, with three different augers (blade sets) your perceived results are likely to be different.  There's is no way that two augers of the same make will perform identically.

I guess its possible everyone who has tried both and found the mora to be better are wrong, and u are right...

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Sep 16, 2014, 07:11 PM »
My first drill setup was on a mora then I went to lazer synthetic and will never look back at a mora.  Would be curious at what a nills might do. I love the light weight synthetic. Always on foot and getting older every ounce adds up.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Sep 16, 2014, 07:19 PM »
The difference between the Synthetic and the regular lazer is about 1lb. Otherwise they cut exacly the same as the head and blades are shaped the same.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #27 on: Sep 16, 2014, 07:28 PM »
I guess its possible everyone who has tried both and found the mora to be better are wrong, and u are right...

Possible  @)

Offline TJR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Sep 17, 2014, 07:57 PM »
I have a ION  bought it last year and I love it  just remember  to keep the battery worm  and i put a 5 in. lazer on it works grate .

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Sep 17, 2014, 08:06 PM »
The difference between the Synthetic and the regular lazer is about 1lb. Otherwise they cut exacly the same as the head and blades are shaped the same.

1.5lbs not that it's a big deal. What is a big deal is ice build up. Just doesn't happen on synthetic falls right off. The cold metal it builds up quick when it's single digits. It's more of a personal preference. Only other difference is the synthetic are still shipped with the Sweeden blades new lazers China blades which work for a bit but loose sharpness too fast imo.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.