Author Topic: Old post  (Read 382 times)

Offline Dan J

• Team IceShanty Regular
Old post
« on: Aug 29, 2014, 07:11 PM »
Just went back as far as I could and read some of the old post from the beginning of ice shanty. It's amazing how ice fishing has changed over the years. The equipment has changed so much, things were much simpler back then. I'm 65 and have been ice fishing since I was 10 years old. No locator's,heaters or flip overs back then. All we had were 5 gallon buckets and jiggle sticks. Hope to see some of you on the hard deck this winter.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
Re: Old post
« Reply #1 on: Aug 30, 2014, 08:17 AM »
And those danged spoon augers!!!  ::)
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Aug 30, 2014, 09:33 AM »
Spoon augers???   I started out with an ax..... ;D
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Aug 30, 2014, 09:42 AM »
Ah gota love the beginnings of "The Modern Day of Ice Fishing"...sonar, gas auger , sensitive rods,..etc... but like so many of us  started with my buddy and mora auger...cheap style cross style tip ups ...ice rod that was designed for Tuna fishing ...heavy lines hooks and sinkers  Huge bait...how that has changed with better made equipment and its accessibility and the actual knowledge of presentations , species and winter habitat  . We live in good times.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Dan J

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Aug 30, 2014, 09:44 AM »
Might still have a spoon auger up in the rafters, bet it cuts just as bad now as when it was new.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #5 on: Aug 30, 2014, 09:58 AM »
I started out with a 5 gal. bucket, 5 tip-ups, scoop, spud and a bait bucket. I can still hear the spud.
TUNGK, tungk tungk tungk tungk...  TUNGK, tungk tungk tungk tungk...  TUNGK, tungk tungk tungk tungk...

"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #6 on: Aug 30, 2014, 10:10 AM »
Spoon augers???   I started out with an ax..... ;D

We used a hatchet and upgraded to a spud bar......lol.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #7 on: Aug 30, 2014, 11:02 AM »
We used a hatchet and upgraded to a spud bar......lol.

Hmmm...wouldn't that make a great name for a Beer joint on the ice, "The Spud Bar".  Or a baked 'tater joint.  :roflmao:
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Aug 30, 2014, 11:03 AM »
Old metal fence post is what I used to chip away my first ice fishing holes. Glad that's over with!
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #9 on: Aug 31, 2014, 04:27 AM »
Memories when I started ice fishing back 1988 or 89 it was a spud bar, cheap cross style tipups  and some low end in-line rods with reels in the handle . I still have some of the tipups and rods. Definitely not the most high performance gear but still had fun and caught fish. My ice fishing mentor told me to say away from the hand augers as they did not work well and were a pain to sharpen. I bought my first hand auger a StrikeMaster Mora in 8 inch size after losing my spud down an ice hole. That was the winter of 1993-94 similar to this past winter  my mentor was shocked how fast the Mora cut through the ice and said I see they have improved the design of those augers from what I remember.  All these years later still have the Mora ,2 StrikeMaster Lazer hand augers numerous tipups in different styles , various spinning and in-line rod/reel combos and more jigs/lures then I ever use in a year. Yet I still look at and purchase more/new gear. Almost forgot the Frabill Ranger Solo flipover shelter.
It truly becomes an addiction after a while.  ::)
Steve

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.