Author Topic: I promised myself.  (Read 1825 times)

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
I promised myself.
« on: Aug 28, 2014, 05:24 PM »
Not to buy any more new things this year. Please help me get through this year with all your encouragement. I bought so much the last two years I just can't buy more.

Thank you very much!
<===Lefty===

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: I promised myself.
« Reply #1 on: Aug 28, 2014, 09:04 PM »
Can't help you their Bub....True Ice Fisherman have to have the latest and greatest ...tech ...lures ...knowledge. .which all lead to some sort of purchase  ...although you can retire from ice fishing  ...warmer climate may just break the cycle ...no guarantee 
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline dab65

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Aug 29, 2014, 02:39 AM »
Good luck! I said the same thing until I saw the new ticklestick rod from 13 fishing, already preordered.

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
« Reply #3 on: Aug 29, 2014, 05:00 AM »
i can help you lefty. just buy stuff for me!!!!   lol  good luck...
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Aug 29, 2014, 06:17 AM »
Just tell yourself. New and improved. Is not always better. Good luck! You know what is said about a fool and his money?
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline BigRock947

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Aug 29, 2014, 08:17 AM »
I say that every year and yet I find myself looking through the new ice fishing gear catalogs....

Offline diesel2012

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Aug 29, 2014, 08:30 AM »
Haha I have my purchases mapped out for years to come lol and when I finally get those it'll be time to start replacing older stuff. Never ending cycle I'm afraid.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Aug 29, 2014, 08:57 AM »
sometimes we just tend to over do it buying gear that we think is soooo important. It gets to be more of a problem luggin all that stuff around all day and of course we always forget something that we can't do without ::). I'll be happy to try and help you all I can. be strong, don't go wasting money on stuff that you really don't ne....... ooo, Fish USA is having a Labor day sale! see ya!

Offline diesel2012

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Aug 29, 2014, 10:45 AM »
My problem is part of the fun of ice fishing is looking for new equipment lol ice fishing can be the most basic outdoor sport you can have but yet I have a need to take it to the next level lol

Offline muskiewrangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born to fish
« Reply #9 on: Aug 29, 2014, 01:09 PM »
I keep on saying that every year but somehow I buy more and more...  ::)
Be who you are and don't listen to others that say you shouldn't. That's how life should be lived as.

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Aug 29, 2014, 01:43 PM »
You're thinking about buying new gear right now aren't you?
Stop thinking about new gear.
See, it doesn't work.

Separate needs from wants. 

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #11 on: Aug 31, 2014, 08:58 AM »
Lefty, you know I'll be glad to help ya out. Every time you even start to think of new gear, mail me $20. Just the act of that will take your mind off (new stuff) for a while. Soon, you'll be low on dough, and the missus will be bopping ya on the noodle, thereby removing all thoughts of (new stuff). At the end of the season, I'll return your money, minus a small handling fee.  ;D  :roflmao:
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Aug 31, 2014, 01:02 PM »
Lefty you can never buy too much. I am at a point where I budget about $2000 to $2500 for new ice gear each year. I basically will run a house and flasher for a season then sell it off to someone at a good price and then get new ones at the start of each season. this year I am going to be running a Clam Scout XL thermal and my Clam Legend from last season. will be listing my Scout EXP house from last year for sale in the coming weeks. if it doesn't sell I'll just keep it and loan it out to friends that might need a house to use.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Sep 01, 2014, 06:59 PM »
Well geezzz, thanks for all the support guy's. I knew I could count on um uh oh well I need a new magazine. I was going to buy the wife her own Showdown at the end of last year and it never showed up. Well an empty box showed up and the postmaster pointed it out to me. I guess some lucky Postman is going to be using it this year. I did get a full refund but it took several calls to the post offices the package went through.
<===Lefty===

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Sep 02, 2014, 05:24 PM »
Get your wife the Vexilar Fl 18. She will love it. Its bullet proof and maybe she will let you use it once in awhile. ::)
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Sep 02, 2014, 06:42 PM »
Lefty, sorry to hear about your bad luck with the Showdown that had to be as bad as or even worse than a five year old finding out on Christmas morning they didn't get the toy they wanted the most.  I'll do my best to discourage you from buying stuff, wait what the heck am I saying?  LOL  Ya know if you buy the stuff for your wife it's not technically buying it for yourself even if you borrow or use it.   ;D

Offline Ron Burgundy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Nov 25, 2014, 08:16 PM »
Still got the EXP Monti?  I saw it on the other site but forgot my password, couldn't retrieve it, created new account & never got an activation email.

Offline thewyler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go hard or go home
« Reply #17 on: Nov 27, 2014, 11:57 PM »
I said that i have everything i need at the end of last year, and now i have a sled sitting in the garage and money set aside for a new flasher. Plus a new power auger
go hard or go home

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 28, 2014, 04:57 AM »
I'll do my best to get you through this year. Come December 31'st your on your own though. ;D
You need to get your wife to buy you some new gear for Christmas. Then you can't buy anything until your sure she didn't already get it for you.
In the end come Christmas you still have new gear that way.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #19 on: Nov 28, 2014, 05:56 AM »
Lefty, I'm with you! A matter of fact, I'm going "Old School" this year, I'm only using equipment manufactured before 11/28/2014!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Nov 28, 2014, 06:07 AM »
My name is Lefty and I am a fishing gearholic. I wasn't going to buy anything this year but I have slipped up at least 5 times already. I am ashamed of myself and I will try harder next year maybe. :whistle: :whistle:
<===Lefty===

Offline cold carpenter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 29, 2014, 08:37 PM »
I'm already on the 'Wait till Christmas' plan. She informed me I am NOT allowed anywhere near Bass Pro. The only thing I had permission to buy was a spud, and that I wound up building at work.

With my seasonal "vacation" coming up fast, I have to find something else to do if I can't wander around BP.
Let's hope the ice gets here fast! Maybe that would ease the pain some...

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Nov 30, 2014, 09:29 PM »
What is the limits?  I mean I got a underwater camera from my wife for our tenth year anniversary.  But other than that.  I got handed a 1st year FF949i which needed some work and a couple poles.  So I ordered that with a new blade cover for the auger since mine broke about 2 years ago. 

Only terminal tackle I have gotten was a bunch of fastech clips, and a set of anchors for the hut.

I am sure at some point through the season I will drop $20-50 on PK spoons.
Don

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.