Author Topic: Best "4 person shanty"  (Read 698 times)

Offline tjsomerv

• IceShanty Rookie
Best "4 person shanty"
« on: Aug 28, 2014, 01:10 PM »
Well the wife and I had a baby 6 months ago, and are already looking forward to some ice fishing! We have a camera, buddy heater and the whole set up but my little 2 person clam just isn't going to cut it anymore. So what are the nicest and easiest hut for 2 adults and a kid? With plenty of gear and junk to go along!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Best "4 person shanty"
« Reply #1 on: Aug 28, 2014, 01:37 PM »
Add your location ...so folks know what kind of winter you'll be experiencing ..

I have the Frabill 6x12 hub ...300 denier.. good height... it seams big ...but if you get 4 seats heater and stove .. drill holes add your camera  ..gets tiny quick. Makes for a great wind break too My area dosent get too cold so don't really need thicker fabric or thermal..but if the price is right go for it .

I also have a older Clam 6800 suit case style ...you might be able to get away with that size and style ...if your just sitting and warming up

the Clam 6 pack shelters seem pretty big ..place all your gear out that you will have inside your shelter ..give yourself some elbow room and you will know what size shelter you can get away with ....also make sure you get free shipping ...most sites offer free shipping on hubs but some out there do not .

recommend Eskimo anchors ...you will thank yourself you did ...ease of use and quick ...had others ...pain pain pain

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Aug 28, 2014, 02:02 PM »
A 6x12 hub house would be more than enough. I regularly fit 3 full size guys in a 6x6.
-Tom

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #3 on: Aug 28, 2014, 02:03 PM »
I have an Eskimo Quickfish 4 that would be about the right size for you. It has a heat barrier that can go up near the ceiling to hold the heat down and prevent frost on really cold days.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline diesel2012

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Aug 28, 2014, 03:02 PM »
I'd have to go for a hub style myself if I was you. When you get into the bigger flip-overs there's some serious weight involved plus more money. However, if you have something to tow it with then I'd stay with a flip over due to mobility.

Offline TeamBlueGear

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Aug 29, 2014, 02:46 PM »
I'd agree about the Eskimo hub shelter (Fishcat 4 or whatever its called) It seems to be pretty big or at least big enough to hold 3-4 grown men comfortably. I had a Clam 6x12 and while that would be plenty of room it would be plenty to put up with one person or 2 people with a new born. In this case bigger and simple! I'm assuming you wouldn't be taking your baby out in windy, crappy conditions but if you wanted to you could still put up something bigger with 5 pull outs vs. 8 pull outs.
Life moves too fast, if you don't stop and look around you just might miss something.....Ferris Buler

Offline tjsomerv

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Sep 02, 2014, 02:23 PM »
Thanks for all of the input! Ill be taking a look for those styles, hopefully something lightly used!

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Sep 02, 2014, 02:30 PM »
shappell 6500 or even the eskimo fatfish 949i or the frabill fishauflage ambush outpost 7013 or the bigger model. the 7013  frabill i own they got great warranties  broke a pole in mine they gave me a new shanty shipped free of charge...shappell i own a s3000 great cabin shanty also good customer services and the eskimo i don't own mite sooner or later? try to get some thing thermal will help with the heating of it and keeping the new born warm!     any ways congrats on the new born and welcome to the site! also get a good sled to pull all this gear in. like a big jet sled or even a soroc etc... 

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Sep 02, 2014, 07:02 PM »
Im thinking they should be hitting the showroom floors soon, you should go and just look and see, heck i have been known to grab a few buckets and chairs to kinda set up right in store just to see how a particular shack will work for me.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Sep 02, 2014, 07:05 PM »
I bought the Eskimo 949I in case my Daughter wants to go with me and went with that model because it's insulated and I figure it would break the wind better along with being easier to heat up.  I think that would be a good choice for you and the nice thing is they are cheaper than similar model from other brands.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.