Author Topic: Minnow Head Storage  (Read 1351 times)

Offline wirenut45

• Team IceShanty Addict
Minnow Head Storage
« on: Aug 28, 2014, 08:15 AM »
Been watching fishing vids to get my fix for ice ,n, the guys are using min. heads on spoons or jigs ,n, i swaer they reach in their pockets ,n, pull a dead min. out ,n, tear the head off . i haven,t seen them use any kind of container. i must be missing something ,but i don,t know . so my q. is; do any of you carry dead mins. ,n, what works best to hold them? don,t want to carry bait bucket because of weight ,n, bulkiness of it help. wire

Offline brink

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Minnow Head Storage
« Reply #1 on: Aug 28, 2014, 08:21 AM »
Depending on how many you need, you could maybe just use one of the bigger bait pucks?  Would seem to hold a few dozen heads and wouldn't slime up your ice suit.
That's some tasty iced tea.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Aug 28, 2014, 08:25 AM »
when I get dead ones, I freeze them in a zip lock baggie. just make sure that they are not frozen together. this way, you can take 1 out at a time. baggie fits in pocket.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Aug 28, 2014, 08:33 AM »
Salt and Freeze ...zip lock slider bag ..should be good to go ...guess you could put them in a bait puck .. could also pre pull the heads (no cutting) then salt and freeze .. going to give it a try this season . I use to salt minnows for trout ...used a cookie sheet keep them separated(could do this outside during the season)  ..freeze through and don't get stuck and clumped together
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline ADKLakerTaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Aug 28, 2014, 12:04 PM »
Nice tip hardwater diehard, thanks!

Hard tell'n, not know'n

Offline wirenut45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Aug 29, 2014, 07:34 AM »
hammah ,n, diehard: what kind of salt do you use? just table salt or rock , or canning salt? thanks, wire

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Aug 29, 2014, 07:39 AM »
In the past ...canning ,pickling and kosher ...I don't see why regular table salt wouldn't work ...love the Dollar Store .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline wirenut45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Aug 29, 2014, 08:03 AM »
o.k. thanks. wire

Offline diesel2012

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Aug 31, 2014, 10:06 AM »
I usually just throw a half dozen in a bait puck instead of running back and forth to the minnow bucket.

Offline tightliner812

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Aug 31, 2014, 01:41 PM »
I usually just throw a half dozen in a bait puck instead of running back and forth to the minnow bucket.

This is what I did last year when we were fishing out on Lake Erie . We were tipping pimples with 3 whole minnows at a time and it did not matter if the were dead or not . Saved a lot of time running back to the bait bucket .

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Aug 31, 2014, 03:54 PM »
In the past ...canning ,pickling and kosher ...I don't see why regular table salt wouldn't work ...love the Dollar Store .

those work so do bait brine by pautkze has good brine's so does this other company i will list in a minute..

http://www.pautzke.com/products_firebrine.php

they got good shrimp coloring which does work on minnows!

https://natesbaitfishingproducts.com/?cat=5

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.