Author Topic: Best Flasher $450 and under  (Read 1022 times)

Offline bigpikekid

• Team IceShanty Regular
Best Flasher $450 and under
« on: Aug 27, 2014, 02:53 PM »
I know a lot of it is personal preference, but I'm looking at getting a flasher for the upcoming season. It will be my first, but I'd like to have it for a while. I have been looking at a Marcum LX-3TC, Humminbird Ice 35 or 45, and a few of the vexilars. I was just wondering if any of you have tried any of these or have any suggestions on any other model. Thank you! :tipup:
"No man is an icicle to himself, but each a piece of the whole cube."

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Best Flasher $450 and under
« Reply #1 on: Aug 27, 2014, 03:03 PM »
You can get a darn nice flasher for $450. I personally have an LX6 and the LX3-TC. I got the LX3 on sale and shipped to my door for $263 last year. Nice unit. Love my LX6 but little more than you are looking to spend. Moral of the story. Any flasher in your price range will do wonders. No sense in opening this up into a brand war. I like my Marcums but my buddies like their Vex's. To each their own. Nothing wrong with finding an even more expensive retail flasher that is used. Have seen some nice used FL-22's and 20's in that range. good units there too. good luck.

Offline stpaulslouch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Aug 27, 2014, 03:04 PM »
Don't rule our the LX5, you can probably get that under $450 if you look around or attend one of the ice shows in Mn if you are close enough.

Offline bigpikekid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Aug 27, 2014, 03:11 PM »
You can get a darn nice flasher for $450. I personally have an LX6 and the LX3-TC. I got the LX3 on sale and shipped to my door for $263 last year. Nice unit. Love my LX6 but little more than you are looking to spend. Moral of the story. Any flasher in your price range will do wonders. No sense in opening this up into a brand war. I like my Marcums but my buddies like their Vex's. To each their own. Nothing wrong with finding an even more expensive retail flasher that is used. Have seen some nice used FL-22's and 20's in that range. good units there too. good luck.

Where did you get if for 263? and thank you
"No man is an icicle to himself, but each a piece of the whole cube."

Offline just_a_beer_man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Aug 27, 2014, 03:22 PM »
Shop around,  picked up an LX7 in the bargain cave at the CT cabelas a month ago for the price of an LX6.  Dont remember if they had anything else at the time or not.  Im partial to marcums, but guys i know stand by their vex's too.  Whatever you can find the best deal for you will not be dissapointed. Several of the sponsors had some pretty good deals last year if I remember correctly.
Flag!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Aug 27, 2014, 03:36 PM »
Where did you get if for 263? and thank you

it was actually a crazy sale that sheels had 20% off the sale price. was only available for a few days. don't happen too often but sure was a good deal.

Offline bmiller423

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Aug 27, 2014, 05:16 PM »
Vexilar FL 18 - Hands down the best flasher. 

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Aug 27, 2014, 05:32 PM »
Agree the Vexilar FL 18 is a great bullet proof Flasher.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline ADKLakerTaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Aug 27, 2014, 06:09 PM »
Vexilar fl-18 is the best flasher on the market! Hands down.

Hard tell'n, not know'n

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Aug 27, 2014, 06:10 PM »
another vote for vex...

Offline ADKLakerTaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Aug 27, 2014, 06:12 PM »
Check l&m fleet. I got a Genz pack fl-18 shipped for 380.

Hard tell'n, not know'n

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Aug 27, 2014, 07:42 PM »
check out Vexilars web site and look under their reconditioned unit section.

currently listed :

FL-22HD  pro pack w/pro view ice ducer $470
FL-20 pro pack w pro view $434
FL-20 pro pack w 12 degree ducer $414
FL-18 pro pack w/12 degree $369
FL-18 Genz Pack $349

these are good units and come with I believe a one year warranty from Vexilar(verify this with them as it might have changed)
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline Johnny 2 Slabs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Aug 27, 2014, 08:33 PM »
Ummm... My Fishing Buddy 240c Does everything all those fancy flashers do at 1/4 the cost...I can see my jig in 70 feet of water and see the fish coming in to look at it...I cut a square of that blue stryofoam insulation to straddle the hole and cut a round hole in the middle to hold the Fishin Buddy straight.....I also see everything between the surface and bottom and can zoom anywhere I want.....I can also see my jig falling from the hole to the bottom in real time....No Brainer...

Offline ADKLakerTaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Aug 27, 2014, 08:41 PM »
Ummm...I will stick with my vex, thank you.

Hard tell'n, not know'n

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Aug 27, 2014, 09:52 PM »
I just think it's wise of you to budget $450 for your first flasher.  Essentially buying your second flasher first...if that makes any sense.  I and I'd bet many others started with units at the lower end of the price spectrum and worked our way up.  Personally for me it started with the one of the fishin' buddy's then the VXP1 and now the LX 5.  Not to say I won't ever upgrade to a digital because they are sweet but I doubt it would help me more than the LX 5 I use now.  Love my both of my Marcums but I wouldn't hesitate pulling the trigger on a vex if you find a good deal.  This site is a great resource for finding deals.  I found mine at a $100 savings and N/C shipping just by watching the posts here last year. 

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Aug 28, 2014, 08:29 AM »
the lx5 is the best flasher on the market  for what you get.  its converted so many vex guys is unbelievable.  a nice fl20 would also be a real solid unit but i'd lean towards finding me an lx5. 

or you can buy a fishing buddy and build a float tube gyroscope contraption.   good luck!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #16 on: Aug 28, 2014, 09:23 AM »
vexilar fl 20.

Offline stpaulslouch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Aug 28, 2014, 10:43 AM »
the lx5 is the best flasher on the market  for what you get.  its converted so many vex guys is unbelievable.  a nice fl20 would also be a real solid unit but i'd lean towards finding me an lx5. 

or you can buy a fishing buddy and build a float tube gyroscope contraption.   good luck!

X2.  If you do any crappie fishing or fish for suspended fish of any kind the LX5 will be much nicer than any Vexilar.  You can adjust the zoom window to anywhere in the water column and can also do 5 or 10 foot increments.  I'm sure the Vex's are nice units as well but for the type of of fishing I do (crappie, sunnies, perch, walleyes) and what you get for your money the Marcum's are tough to beat with their features.  No doubt I'll get slammed by the Vex die Hards but this is just my experience.

Now on a side note I'd love to see Hummingbird release something as a competitor to the LX series that includes a mapping function and better interference rejection than their LCD units.  I know Marcum has the RT9 coming out but the tablet part has me leery.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Aug 28, 2014, 01:18 PM »
Best advice I would give you is get free shipping ...remember the "extras" bag include ,transducer angle(s) type of case etc... ...wait for Black Friday deals ...between then and now.. lots of research . Do you have buddies that have flashers and have a lot of experience with them ...look and talk . Your dollar amount is very reasonable ...most choices between unit/manufacturers  are a matter of preference and what type of fishing you plan on doing ...its tough since .. with a flasher you'll fish a little different then you would without . I own a Vex FL 18 ...going on 12 yrs now ...love it ...a buddy of mine wanted to get a flasher last year ...gave him all pros and cons in his price range ...went with the Marcum VX 1 ...this read will make your head spin but very informative ...http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=228121.msg2287338#msg2287338

Good read on cone angles ....http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=203154.0
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline dabills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Aug 28, 2014, 05:05 PM »
Got an lx5 a couple months ago for 420 with shipping I love it so far off the side of a rowboat

Offline dab65

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Aug 29, 2014, 02:18 AM »
Sportsmans guide has double member discount this weekend. The LX-6 is $539 bucks with the discount. I know it's a little more than what you want to pay but it's worth it. I have the 7 and love it.

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Aug 30, 2014, 02:45 PM »
Bought my first dedicated ice flasher last winter beside an antique ray jefferson. It's an LX-5 and got it off this forum for a good price. It is agood unit thats easy to use with sharp lines and clear target separation. The only other ones I compared it to on the ice was the HB45 and a showdown 2.0? Liked the large dial on the 45 but will stay with the LX5. The only thing I can fault on the LX5 is it don't fit in a 5gal bucket.

Offline gonehunting

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Sep 11, 2014, 09:01 PM »
Keep your eyes open on C-list or other classifieds.  In the last year I have bought two FL-20s for $300 each and an FLX-28 for $425.  All nice clean units.  I've seen several Marcum LX-6s in the $400 range also.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.