Author Topic: Pulled out the shack!  (Read 719 times)

Offline wipike

• Team IceShanty Regular
Pulled out the shack!
« on: Aug 26, 2014, 10:43 PM »
Just going over everything - making sure there's no holes chewed in it, putting a charge of the VX, going through the tackle -

Found where I had lost a few minnows...   :o

All cleaned out, ready for a few new season mods and some ICE!!!

:tipup:

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Pulled out the shack!
« Reply #1 on: Aug 27, 2014, 02:22 AM »
any idea on what mods you will be doing need help with them i know i do  :o .?.?.?.  lol's

Offline diesel2012

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Aug 27, 2014, 08:11 AM »
Won't be pulling mine out until I can get the hyfax runner kit for it. Frabill has been out of stock since last season so who knows when that's gonna happen. Can't wait though.

Offline wipike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Aug 27, 2014, 08:14 PM »
any idea on what mods you will be doing need help with them i know i do  :o .?.?.?.  lol's

Last winter I did the drop bar mod on the front of my Kenai.  I got tired of the wind blowing the skirt in on me, so I bent a couple pieces of 1/2" conduit and cut/spliced them into the original front bar.  Now my bar goes almost all the way to the ice, so no room for the wind to blow it in.

I temporarily pinned some velcro pieces in to hold the fabric stable for the season, now I'm sewing them in permenantly.  I kind of want to put some PVC T's on there first so I can put some removable uprights in for when the wind's really howling.

Then I need to figure out how I can make a collapsable smitty runners on it, right now the sled just fits in the tub, but it'd be nice if I could pull a few pins and let the shack fold down.

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Aug 27, 2014, 08:50 PM »
i seen these used before you pull these pin two on each side of the frame attached to the tub  and the tub drops pin's @ link below.   they used one inch emt as the part that slid over 3/4 inch rigid tubing  they drilled two different heights one for the up position and one for the down position... also used four tee and a few other various things to assemble it.. plan before like thinking...   dont forget to attach the pins to the sled via a piece of heavy mono.  this is if your looking for idea that and search smidty sled mods on this site threw google etc... some times you get ideas from looking at others work... 

http://www.lowes.com/pd_469490-37672-58528_4294934474__?productId=4461805&Ntt=tube+lock+clips&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dtube%2Block%2Bclips&facetInfo=

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Aug 27, 2014, 09:05 PM »
Last winter I did the drop bar mod on the front of my Kenai.  I got tired of the wind blowing the skirt in on me, so I bent a couple pieces of 1/2" conduit and cut/spliced them into the original front bar.  Now my bar goes almost all the way to the ice, so no room for the wind to blow it in.

I temporarily pinned some velcro pieces in to hold the fabric stable for the season, now I'm sewing them in permenantly.  I kind of want to put some PVC T's on there first so I can put some removable uprights in for when the wind's really howling.

Then I need to figure out how I can make a collapsable smitty runners on it, right now the sled just fits in the tub, but it'd be nice if I could pull a few pins and let the shack fold down.

i am trying to figure out how to attach chain link to the skirt so it does not do the same "blow in the wind". should i use some sort of rings and clap it this is so the skirt dose not blow in the wind  put the metal rings in  every so often so the chain sits on the skirt so not to blow in the wind... trying to figure it out my self...

Offline wipike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Aug 28, 2014, 09:55 PM »
If you're going the hold down route with the skirt, I'd get some old bicycle inner tubes from a bike shop, fill them up with sand, and then tie them shut.

They'll easily hold down the skirt then, and won't stick to the ice like chains.   

I've seen guy's stick chains in the bike tubes also, but chains are expensive where sand's cheap.

Thanks for the idea with the Smitty mod, I'm going to see what others are doing.  I think Eskimo or someone made a collapsible set of runners, but they were really expensive.  Shappel had a set too, but they were too flimsy.   

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Aug 28, 2014, 10:40 PM »
If you're going the hold down route with the skirt, I'd get some old bicycle inner tubes from a bike shop, fill them up with sand, and then tie them shut.

They'll easily hold down the skirt then, and won't stick to the ice like chains.   

I've seen guy's stick chains in the bike tubes also, but chains are expensive where sand's cheap.

Thanks for the idea with the Smitty mod, I'm going to see what others are doing.  I think Eskimo or someone made a collapsible set of runners, but they were really expensive.  Shappel had a set too, but they were too flimsy.   

you could make the shappell skis  but i think it cheaper to buy them problem iwhtthat design is you got to flip the whole shack over to collapse them pain in the rump if you ask me i got a set on my s3000 there they work great every ware else to flimsy.. any ways great idea on the inter tube i was thinking hog ring the chain to the skirt so it was permanent but will see what i come up with was even thinking the extreme of sewing in the chain in to the skirt.   so it would be there and would not stick to the ice  like said but will see? any ways thanks ofr the suggestions

Offline TeamBlueGear

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Aug 29, 2014, 03:02 PM »
Decide to clean my pig sty shop out and start getting plowing stuff at least out for service and now that the shop is clean I can put up my hub and check everything out. I did start getting my fly rod and steelhead stuff ready and I can't believe the amount of flies and other stuff I found that I thought I had to buy new.
Life moves too fast, if you don't stop and look around you just might miss something.....Ferris Buler

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.