Author Topic: Walleyes  (Read 872 times)

Offline GRIZZ08

• Team IceShanty Regular
Walleyes
« on: Aug 25, 2014, 10:16 AM »
I am wanting to do a trip this year somewhere that i can catch mostly walleyes.  im not looking to catch monsters although i would be ok with it, just looking for a place to catch a nice bunch of eyes for dinner and have a chance at some quality eyes through the ice.  i am from outside omaha nebraska i dont want to drive for days but wouldnt mind driveing for 10 hours or a little more to find a good place to fish.  i also would like to do this without a guide but if someone knows a guy that could point me in the right direction that would be great also.  thanks in advance
some days I can drink a lot of beer and other days only a case

Offline Sidepork

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Don't horse em!
Re: Walleyes
« Reply #1 on: Aug 25, 2014, 10:22 AM »
Red Lake in MN but that is a hike for you.  With 4 guys we got 55 in 5 hours the first time on the lake.  Hope you find a good spot.
Nick

Offline scmelik

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Aug 25, 2014, 10:44 AM »
The glacial lakes of SD are hard to beat for walleyes, red lake is a good choice, devils is a possibility if you can find them, leech, mill lacs.  All good choices for icing good numbers of eyes with the occasional tank thrown in.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #3 on: Aug 26, 2014, 05:32 AM »
Red Lake in MN but that is a hike for you.  With 4 guys we got 55 in 5 hours the first time on the lake.  Hope you find a good spot.

2nd this. Went up years ago made it a yearly trip takes Us 9hrs to get there. We always try to go up on the week of Dec. the 20th. Usually within the first 30min we have a few in the bucket. During hard tuff fishing conditions you'll grind out a limit. During good fishing you'll catch around 100 or so a day/night in the cabin. I think I averaged about 25 a day last year, could have been better but the drinks were flowing pretty good.

If you go up two items will really help add to you fish count numbers. 1 have a dead stick with a float using a lead head jig and minnow. 2nd a rattle wheel with same set up. Huge 40in pike are to be had with some walleyes getting up to the hog size now.

Sleeper shacks run $45 a person per night. Chad Bensen has been our go to guy the last few years. I know for my group Upper red basically ruined walleye fishing back home for us.

Offline diesel2012

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Aug 26, 2014, 08:43 AM »
Webster, SD area is a great area for walleyes. We mainly focus on perch when we go up there but there are some nice walleye's caught up there all the time.

Offline Muskyrush

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Aug 27, 2014, 09:39 PM »
Hands down the best walleye fishery is lake Erie, and anyone who say otherwise is misinformed. Lake Erie is prolly home to more 30" walleye then every other lake combined.

Offline TeamBlueGear

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Aug 29, 2014, 03:11 PM »
Lake Erie is right out my back door but can't ever get on the lake itself due to huge, thin ice dunes. :(
Life moves too fast, if you don't stop and look around you just might miss something.....Ferris Buler

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #7 on: Aug 30, 2014, 08:00 AM »
Id consider LOTWs too. Zipple Bay is about 10 hrs from Omaha. You could hit other MN lakes on the way up or home.

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Aug 30, 2014, 09:27 PM »
Hands down the best walleye fishery is lake Erie, and anyone who say otherwise is misinformed. Lake Erie is prolly home to more 30" walleye then every other lake combined.
except lake Winnipeg .... Lol!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #9 on: Aug 31, 2014, 10:57 PM »
except lake Winnipeg .... Lol!

LMAO.......True......u nless a buddy has an OWI and cant go to canada.

Offline twincities86

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Yea buddy
« Reply #10 on: Aug 31, 2014, 11:09 PM »
Right now the word up at red lake is that it's the best eye fishing it's been in a long time. 100 eyes a day per person . So many there's talk about the dnr limiting the amount of eyes caught for this upcoming ice season.

Good luck with your search.
KCCO

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.