The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ice Roads  (Read 1195 times)

Offline wirenut45

• Team IceShanty Addict
Ice Roads
« on: Aug 22, 2014, 12:41 PM »
while on Mille Lacs this jan. ,we stayed with Appledoorns. any way, when we went to buzzy s(?) for a meal i think i saw where another outfit had roads plowed on the lake . and think if you paid a fee ,like maybe $10 anyone could use them. is this right? could we maybe stay at Isle ,n, drive over to Garrison ,n, use a  road plowed by a lodge over there? how common is this on other lakes? will be touring MN. this winter for maybe 3-4 weeks ,n, this would be GREAT !!!!!

Offline twincities86

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Yea buddy
Re: Ice Roads
« Reply #1 on: Aug 24, 2014, 09:44 PM »
You must pay a fee to each resort road you use up there ( at least that's the idea ). If you paid at appledoorns then that's fine, drive where they plowed. But if you venture off onto another plowed road where another resort owner had plowed i"d make sure you pay them. Resort owners get pissed off if you come over from another resort and use there roads without paying. I've heard of horror stories of owners running people off there roads without paying. Money has been tight up there due to walleye regs. Legally you can drive anywhere on the lake because they don't own the lake, but sometimes they think they do and will tell you-you must pay.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do
KCCO

Offline wirenut45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Aug 25, 2014, 07:06 AM »
twincities, thank you for the info.  planning on being inTC for ice show in early dec. ,n, since its a 900 mi. drive i may bring my stuff ,n, stay for awhile. should be safe if not drivable ice north of younse to get my early fix.  lodges pro,lly are,nt booked up then, so maybe can get room most anywhere. wouldn,t think of not paying for privelige of using road. small price to buy local knowledge since they pro,lly plow to good areas on lake. wire

Offline low277

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Aug 26, 2014, 06:35 AM »
Lake of the Woods is the same, you pay for the access to the lake and for the resort operators expense of plowing and maintaining a road. Although I don't think that many of the resorts roads interconnect.

Good luck and have fun!

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Aug 27, 2014, 06:47 PM »
The roads don't connect at the end so you can't really just take off from Isle to Garrison. Most resorts have the farthest reach they are willing to go, that's where they stop. A resort in Isle wont plow out to the mud flats, and a resort in garrison wont plow to the boulders. Maintaining a 20 mile plus ice road with all the branches attached to it would be impractical and expensive. There are a few things that I as a local would like to put to bed though...

1) The resorts do not own the lake. They can plow till they are blue in the face, but it is still public property on the ice. If you pay for lake access and wander off the resort you paid's road system, you are doing nothing illegal. As long as you don't cross the other resort's property on the way off the lake, you are just fine. The lake belongs to all of us, and no one should worry about where they tread out there. If a resort owner yells at you for an honest mistake, let us all know so we can avoid the establishment. If they become irritate or try to intimidate you, dial 911.

2) If you are on a snowmobile and fish with a portable, feel free to take off from a public access. You will notice that the road systems are all over and a real pain to cross. If you have to run on the road for a bit to find a place to cross, you owe no one anything. You didn't ask for the obstacle, you shouldn't have to pay to get around it.

3) Bridges across the heaves and gaps are a huge pile of work to maintain. If you NEED to use one, make sure the guy who built it gets some cash. Even if you are on a snowmobile and left from a public access, stop at the resort on you way home. Without these resorts doing this, large parts of ice would become unusable.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Aug 27, 2014, 08:41 PM »
twincities, thank you for the info.  planning on being inTC for ice show in early dec. ,n, since its a 900 mi. drive i may bring my stuff ,n, stay for awhile. should be safe if not drivable ice north of younse to get my early fix.  lodges pro,lly are,nt booked up then, so maybe can get room most anywhere. wouldn,t think of not paying for privelige of using road. small price to buy local knowledge since they pro,lly plow to good areas on lake. wire

If you do come to MN for the show and plan to stick around for a while and if Mille lacs is not safe then (it might be early for the lake) I can set you up on a lake by me that would be safe then (would need to walk out unless you have a four wheeler). I work one of the booths at the show so if you make it to the show stop by and say high. I will be there this year on both Saturday and Sunday only (I can't make it Friday). send me a PM a few weeks before you come if you want to try a lake other then Mille lacs. by the way drive able ice normally comes around the end of December for full size trucks. by mid December for four wheelers and snowmobiles. I mainly target blue gills, crappies and channel cats during the ice season unless I decide to put out a tip up for northern every once and awhile for a change.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline wirenut45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Aug 28, 2014, 08:22 AM »
Monticatgeek, i will certainly look you up at the ice show. i,ll send you a pm earlier. thank you very much for the offer to help a fellow icer. ,n, people wonder why we love this site LOL wire

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.