The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: ion augers anyone  (Read 1044 times)

Offline Mike Reilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
ion augers anyone
« on: Aug 21, 2014, 03:55 PM »
thinking of a new toy anyone out there have any info on ion augers do they cut well and how do batteries hold up in the cold   thanks

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: ion augers anyone
« Reply #1 on: Aug 21, 2014, 04:09 PM »
Got to use one two seasons ago ...seems light ...cut fast ...quite...its kinda short ...seemed to be well built ...no personal experience on battery life or use ...but others have stated that you must keep the battery warm between long  uses ...heat packs/warmers or insulated bag
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Mike Reilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Aug 21, 2014, 05:30 PM »
thanks  never used one but hearing same thing about keeping batteries warm

Offline tackleshack

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Owner of Tackle Shack
« Reply #3 on: Aug 23, 2014, 09:28 AM »
I've owned one for 2 seasons and absolutely love it.  You definitely need to keep the batteries warmer.  Atleast, keep the battery off the ice!  I only ever had it get real sluggish on me once and that was because I carelessly layed it with the battery sitting directly on the ice.  Otherwise, we had very few issues.  I try to keep the battery in our hut or in the carry case at least.

My only other complaint has been the plastic handles.  They are comfortable, but I wish they used a more durable material.

I heard this year, they have added a reverse feature too, to help clear out holes easier. 

Overall, I couldn't be much happier with mine.  This year will be 3 seasons and it has been a very reliable machine.   I keep a full charge on the battery all summer to ensure it lasts longer.  It drills fast, its quiet, and really easy to use. 

Don
Don Kelly

Tackle Shack
9683 Route 287
Wellsboro, PA 16901
570-724-5138
[email protected]
www.wellsborotacklesha ck.com

Shop Online anytime at www.shoptackleshack.co m

Like us on Facebook- www.facebook.com/wellsborotackleshack

Follow us on Twitter
@TackleShackPA

Follow us on Instagram
@Wellsborotackleshack #tackleshack #fishtiogacounty

Offline Mike Reilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Aug 23, 2014, 01:30 PM »
thanks for the info

Offline clm

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Aug 23, 2014, 02:32 PM »
I got one last year and love it so far.  As others have said, keep the battery warm.  I always remove it and keep it in the shack with me.   It really shines in the permy...no exhaust fumes!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Aug 23, 2014, 06:03 PM »
I never used one but saw them online.  The main reasons I didn't give them more serious consideration is because the batteries run about $150 a piece and no were to have them worked on in my area. 

Offline Eddie Spaghetti

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Aug 24, 2014, 09:33 AM »
I bought one last season, after watching Jarheads buddy use his. The first few times out, I kept the battery in my hoodie pocket when I wasn't using the auger. After that, I'd cover it with a bucket or something to keep the chill off. If I was a run and gun fisherman, I may not buy one (or at least get a second battery). But, I know I can go up to 40 holes no problem with the Ion, and that is all I normally need.

Offline Eyes R Bitin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Aug 24, 2014, 11:43 AM »
I bought one last season, after watching Jarheads buddy use his. The first few times out, I kept the battery in my hoodie pocket when I wasn't using the auger. After that, I'd cover it with a bucket or something to keep the chill off. If I was a run and gun fisherman, I may not buy one (or at least get a second battery). But, I know I can go up to 40 holes no problem with the Ion, and that is all I normally need.
I am fairly interested in the Ion.  You say 40 holes but don't say how thick the ice.  We get between 30" to 40" of ice here.  Do you think you would still get 40 holes? 

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #9 on: Aug 24, 2014, 11:56 AM »
I looked at them last year and checked out some comments online. At that time they were having problems with a switch on the handlebar and I didn't like the idea of trying to keep a battery warm. After checking a bit more I bought a Strikemaster Strikelite II which has the Honda 4 stroke engine and weighs one pound more than  the Ion in the 8" model. I have been very happy with it. I don't mind having a small gas can on the ice with me and it sips gas anyway.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Eddie Spaghetti

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Aug 24, 2014, 08:01 PM »
I am fairly interested in the Ion.  You say 40 holes but don't say how thick the ice.  We get between 30" to 40" of ice here.  Do you think you would still get 40 holes?

Eyes, Last year, here in PA, we probably topped out at 12" of ice in the lakes I fish. On the Ion website, they claim 40 holes at 2'.

Offline Mike Reilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Aug 25, 2014, 02:38 PM »
thanks guys  now we need some ice

Offline curtrein

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Aug 31, 2014, 11:53 PM »
I took the leap and bought an Ion last year. Best purchase I ever made for ice fishing. Cuts fast, clean and quiet. As others have stated, don't let the battery sit on the ice for too long; it will drain the battery. My personal record was drilling 35 holes in 1' ice over a 2 day period on a single charge. The only time it ever locked up on me was when we were fishing on the end of a charge spread over 2 days while fishing in -15 windchills. So all in all, I'm really pleased with the Ion. The no gas thing is priceless! Keeps the vehicle clean and the fumes down.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #13 on: Sep 01, 2014, 04:34 AM »
I was in Home Depot the other day - was looking at some of the new electric (battery) weed trimmers by Ryobi.  They have a battery pack for those bigger tools that looks similar to the ION's batter pack.  Wondered if any of you ION owners have seen it and made a comparison.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Sep 01, 2014, 06:17 AM »
I was in Home Depot the other day - was looking at some of the new electric (battery) weed trimmers by Ryobi.  They have a battery pack for those bigger tools that looks similar to the ION's batter pack.  Wondered if any of you ION owners have seen it and made a comparison.

Just looked on line ...cant seem to find a picture of bottom of the  ION battery or the Ryobi battery pack for comparison .. but worth a look into ...would need some specs or pics of both to be certain ...Its possible that Ryobi didn't reinvent the wheel for their battery .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.