Author Topic: New 8x10 Bob House build\advice  (Read 19265 times)

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: New 8x10 Bob House build\advice
« Reply #60 on: Aug 18, 2014, 09:23 PM »
depends on were the bump will ?  like on the tongue area may make it easy and depending on were the roof will trusses will go. and if you plan to slope it at two sides like a vee and were it will be. those are the only things i would look at when putting a hump in the trailer.. 

as for galvanized steel is just like steel the only problem is the coating is toxic to breath the fumes from the welding process so do so out doors..

stick welding it most of the time is to heavy duty for thin steel so keep it in mind maybe if you use like a 1/16 inch rod or a 1/32 inch rod if they make that lols juts remember it goes buy amperage to metal thickness and what rod to use on it depends on metal thickness...  it should be on the welder if you got one what the amperage settings are for the thickness of steel you are to be welding same with maybe the manual for the welder to bad you not closer i could trow a weld on the trailer for you.... 

Offline North End

• IceShanty Rookie
  • NorthEnd
« Reply #61 on: Aug 19, 2014, 06:14 PM »
So I swung into the Home Depot before work today...Looking at materials... suggestions on insulation?  Is there any benifit of having foil coverd insulation vs none?  Width 2" ,1" or 3/4"?

Metal studs... 3-5/8?  Or can you get aways with a smaller studs?

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Aug 19, 2014, 06:40 PM »
If you go to a drywall supply company you can get 1-5/8" studs. Go with 20 guage instead of 25 guage for more strength and use 1" foam insulation.

Of coarse if your doors and windows are thicker... go with a wider stud... they come 1-5/8", 2-5/8", 3-5/8".

I work in commercial construction and have used these materials on a few shacks in the past and they work well and are reasonably light weight.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #63 on: Aug 19, 2014, 07:22 PM »
i use silver face foam 1" insulation in my house, the silver helps reflect light but then again, i covered up the walls with stickers to keep my mind occupied during slow times.
i ripped 2x4's in half for studs.
i used the same insulation on the floor (sandwiched) then put luan on top of that.

Offline North End

• IceShanty Rookie
  • NorthEnd
« Reply #64 on: Aug 21, 2014, 04:35 PM »
Went to sheet rock distributor and got studs today.... 1/4 the price that they are at home depot...  Grinded trailer down as well going to weld a couple small cracks...(I grinded down to steel in those areas)  Next is to weld base framing for bump outs.....prime and paint...

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #65 on: Aug 21, 2014, 07:49 PM »
and so the build begins...... :thumbsup:

Keep us posted.

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #66 on: Aug 22, 2014, 02:54 PM »
i use silver face foam 1" insulation in my house, the silver helps reflect light but then again, i covered up the walls with stickers to keep my mind occupied during slow times.
i ripped 2x4's in half for studs.
i used the same insulation on the floor (sandwiched) then put luan on top of that.

I have seen some of these stickers "Happy Fisherman"  ;D  you need help but wait till the end of the 14/15 ice season to get it.

Offline Altonbayicefishingfool

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Aug 22, 2014, 06:55 PM »
Went to sheet rock distributor and got studs today.... 1/4 the price that they are at home depot...  Grinded trailer down as well going to weld a couple small cracks...(I grinded down to steel in those areas)  Next is to weld base framing for bump outs.....prime and paint...

What distributor? I'm starting a new build myself
Life is good!

Offline North End

• IceShanty Rookie
  • NorthEnd
« Reply #68 on: Aug 22, 2014, 07:09 PM »
http://www.bluerocknh.com/

Alton,

They are out of Franklin NH

What size and design are you thinking of building?

Offline North End

• IceShanty Rookie
  • NorthEnd
« Reply #69 on: Aug 22, 2014, 07:20 PM »
Flooring- What have people used and liked : Plywood -$27, OSB-$20 or  Advantech-$34?

Offline NorthWoods Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work!
« Reply #70 on: Aug 22, 2014, 07:28 PM »
I used treated 1/2 inch plywood against the frame and sandwiched foam between that and a sheet of OSB

Offline North End

• IceShanty Rookie
  • NorthEnd
« Reply #71 on: Aug 25, 2014, 09:41 PM »
Weighed my truck with and without the trailer frame 3380 and 3540 making the trailer 160 lbs... not bad....going to look for an axle tomorrow and try to get frame welded....can't waite to start building!

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #72 on: Aug 26, 2014, 06:50 AM »
Advantech would be my choice. It holds up really well to wet/dry cycles un-painted whereas OSB will turn to potatoe chips when wetted and plywood will delaminate. Go with 7/16 Advantech and put the paint to it, will last as long as the shack does.

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #73 on: Aug 26, 2014, 05:43 PM »
Advantech would be my choice. It holds up really well to wet/dry cycles un-painted whereas OSB will turn to potatoe chips when wetted and plywood will delaminate. Go with 7/16 Advantech and put the paint to it, will last as long as the shack does.

i am wondering if a two part epoxy paint would help it hold up better like for garage floors?  cause i have  used epoxy rod fishing on rod handles which makes them last for ever.. just a thought mix a with b and paint let dry and use lol's  instead of the specked flecks throw sand on the surface so it grip to it when wet?

Offline IceHutt

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep & bear arms.Assume nothing.Fish & hunt often!
« Reply #74 on: Aug 26, 2014, 06:14 PM »
I painted the floor of my enclosed ice fishing trailer with a paint that is designed to keep you from slipping on floors.  Menard's carries it and it is called a floor and porch enamel that has the sand already in it[/b].  I don't remember the brand, but it was a name brand and reasonably priced.  I stirred it often and used a roller to apply it.  I used the light grey color and it has worked well and doesn't wear off.  ;)   Happy trails ! :)

Offline North End

• IceShanty Rookie
  • NorthEnd
« Reply #75 on: Aug 27, 2014, 06:44 PM »
Anyone in the lakes region know where I can find an axle overall length 70" for snowmobile trailer?  I hit up Gilpatricks salvage and bow auto salvage no luck.  Yea I know I can go buy a new one...but looking to keep this low budget.

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #76 on: Aug 27, 2014, 10:40 PM »
Anyone in the lakes region know where I can find an axle overall length 70" for snowmobile trailer?  I hit up Gilpatricks salvage and bow auto salvage no luck.  Yea I know I can go buy a new one...but looking to keep this low budget.

i am from out of state and found this on a search?weather it is close or not i do not know or if he would let them go i don't know. but here is the link..

http://nh.craigslist.org/pts/4635023617.html

Offline bassranger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Sep 14, 2014, 08:47 PM »
I just put a new axle under my snowmobile trailer 71" long. Ordered it from a company called Down 2 Earth trailers. Cost me $195 shipped to my door. came with everything Axle, Hubs already installed, springs, shackles and all the mounting hardware. Found them on Ebay and sent him a message then gave them a call. Believe they are located in North Carolina. Took a couple weeks to get it because it was a odd size and they had to have it built.
If I'm not fishing then I'm not happy

Offline North End

• IceShanty Rookie
  • NorthEnd
« Reply #78 on: Sep 17, 2014, 06:53 AM »
Bassranger thanks for the heads up.... will look into that....

All...sorry been a bit side tracked lately with getting firewood done... will get my priorities back in order soon and get back to the build

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #79 on: Sep 17, 2014, 07:12 AM »
I hear ya Northend. Always something to do...priorities.

I built a new wood shed this year and have it almost stuffed full...... Almost.

Now working with my son in turning our garage into a wood shop. That's consumed just about all of my time away from working on my bobhouse which is in pretty good shape for this coming season.

Next year during the summer I plan to build another house (still collecting building components). We decided to have 2 houses on the lake in 2016.

Offline North End

• IceShanty Rookie
  • NorthEnd
« Reply #80 on: Jan 09, 2015, 06:50 PM »

-I had 2x12's to use for runners, then I found these in the scrap pile and they are surprisingly light.  They also really cleared up my head scratching on how to attach the wood runners to the frame.  Will try these for a season and see how I like them.

-Runners are about 10' long  I have them protruding from the back to accommodate a decent side bump out for storage and heat.

Offline North End

• IceShanty Rookie
  • NorthEnd
« Reply #81 on: Jan 09, 2015, 07:09 PM »
As it is right now I can pick it up one side with ease...  The width of the runners are 2".  I recently picked up some conduit to go over the bottom of the runners to keep the sticking down.  Have 3/4" sealed plywood for decking and 2" 25 Ga. light weight metals studs for framing... I am looking for some aluminum camper windows  and a door.  JIGGIN said that I will build 3 or 4 houses before I figure out what really works...This is number 2....I am sure I will figure out the likes and dislikes pretty quickly.  As my last house was all wood.

Offline treeguymark

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #82 on: Jan 10, 2015, 09:44 PM »
lol im on number two  have not even fished out of it yet and im already planning a new one for next year !
fishin is my mission !!

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #83 on: Jan 10, 2015, 09:59 PM »
Looks Cool.  :o
Salmonemia

Offline North End

• IceShanty Rookie
  • NorthEnd
« Reply #84 on: Jan 14, 2015, 06:35 PM »

Offline North End

• IceShanty Rookie
  • NorthEnd
Re: New 8x10 Bob House build\advice UPDATED WITH PICS
« Reply #85 on: Jan 14, 2015, 06:37 PM »
I was surprised I was able to push it around the yard outside the garage with ease.... still think I will try to put some conduit on the skiis to help out.

Offline ice fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #86 on: Jan 16, 2015, 05:34 AM »
LOOKS nice North end  I built mine like that putting a new roof on now for this season 

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #87 on: Jan 16, 2015, 12:43 PM »
A lot of nice work in that house NE.  :)
Is the siding going to overlap the outside angles?
Not sure if the conduit under your runners will hold up on pavement and gravel?
If it tears, it may become a hindrance?

Offline Mark03765

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #88 on: Jan 16, 2015, 03:11 PM »
instead of conduit try adding strips of bed liner. (I got mine from a salvage yard.. told them what I wanted it for and they found me one that was damaged and unsellable. Free.. if you cut it about double the size of your runners it will bend (if you heat it) so you can attach it at the top.

Offline North End

• IceShanty Rookie
  • NorthEnd
« Reply #89 on: Jan 16, 2015, 07:55 PM »
I am still up in the air about conduit or bed liner or something for the bottom.  I only fish one lake... and I am able to back the trailer right to the edge of the lake....At least for now... I don't have to worry about pavement or gravel.  Keep the ideas rolling!

As far as siding goes... I am going to use Galv roof panels.. very light.... I am going to trim it out if I can find some j channel I have some material that I can use for corner trim....Anybody have ideas that I can use besides the J channel from Home Depot that is not as over priced?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.