New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: 2015 NYS Ice Pro-Am and Winter Classic Tournament Thread  (Read 28160 times)

Offline sfirkbass

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • who needs a 7ft pole? we have 2ftrs!!!
Re: 2015 NYS Ice Pro-Am and Winter Classic Tournament Thread
« Reply #60 on: Dec 21, 2014, 07:48 PM »
Hey Tim do we get any form of certification of being in the winter classic that we need to bring into the weigh in scales as proof of entry?

Offline Finders Keepers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Capt. Finders Keepers
« Reply #61 on: Dec 22, 2014, 05:08 PM »
Hey Tim do we get any form of certification of being in the winter classic that we need to bring into the weigh in scales as proof of entry?

To keep costs down we do not have any tickets or other items for anglers to bring as proof of entry, other than your driver's license (date of birth if you do not have a license). We will be checking for tournament eligibility when the fish weigh-in info gets sent to us by the weigh-in stations.

Today I stopped in to Clingerman Taxidermy and picked up the winning walleye from from the Tupper Lake event last year and it looks AWESOME!!!! We'll have it on display at both of the large IPA events this year for anglers to check out! Randy also agreed to mount the largest fish caught at the Sodus Bay event this year!! Check them out and give them a like at:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Clingerman-Taxidermy/339499419501899

For those not in the Winter Classic Tournament yet, keep in mind that you must be registered by 7am in order for that day's catch to be eligible. We encourage all anglers to register now online, or stop in to your closest weigh-in to register in person.

Tourney kicks off JANUARY 1ST!!! Are you ready??
Tim Thomas
NYS Ice Pro-Am Corporation
President & CEO

Finders Keepers Sportfishing
Captain

Offline Finders Keepers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Capt. Finders Keepers
« Reply #62 on: Dec 29, 2014, 07:47 PM »
Final preparations are underway before the first NYS winter Classic Tournament kicks off!! Now that winter is setting in, let's see those registrations push the payout up!! Spread the word and let's put NYS on the map for huge tournaments this winter!!
Tim Thomas
President & CEO

Captain

Offline ShaneO19

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Dec 30, 2014, 12:34 PM »
Do you know how many entries there are so far?  I saw in one of your earlier posts that you would show that on the site.  I see right now it shows 1915 in the upper right of the main page.  Is that the entries or just views?

Offline Finders Keepers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Capt. Finders Keepers
« Reply #64 on: Dec 30, 2014, 01:02 PM »
That's just views so we can track traffic on the site. We currently have 55 in the tourney, and are ready for the ice to set up so anglers start fishing and stop in to the tackle shops to hear about the event!! I know quite a few anglers are waiting until the their first ice trip to register when they pick up their bait at the shops. @)
Tim Thomas
President & CEO

Captain

Offline Finders Keepers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Capt. Finders Keepers
« Reply #65 on: Dec 31, 2014, 05:22 PM »
The 2015  NYS Winter Classic kicks off tomorrow with ice starting to set-up across the state! Here are a few pointers for the event:

1) Follow the leaderboard at: http://www.nyswinterclassic.com/2015-leader-board.html

For those of you in the event, please bookmark the leaderboard site on your smart phones and check the board before keeping a fish to weigh-in. You will see a minimum weight for each species listed (roughly 25th place to account for a maximum payout and up to 5 disqualifications). This is the minimum weight for that species required for weigh-in based on the fish that have been entered already. If your fish is smaller than that minimum weight, there is no reason to bring the fish to weigh-in. However, if your fish is larger than that weight, it may be beneficial to bring it to a weigh-in.

2) Due to the initial lower numbers of anglers, we be paying out the top 3 in each category to keep the prize monies higher. Once we reach 500 registrants we will include the top 5, at 3,000 anglers the top 10, at 5,000 anglers the top 15, and 10,000 anglers the top 20. In addition to increasing the payout structure, at 2500 anglers we will add a $1,000 random draw, at 5,000 anglers we will add a $250 cash prize for the largest fish of a particular species each week plus the a free mount for the overall largest fish, at 10,000 anglers we will up the weekly prize to $500 and include free mounts for all 1st place finishers, and we continue to add additional prizes beyond 10,000 anglers.

3) Pay attention to weigh-in station hours of operation, which vary by location. We will be listing all those we have been informed of on the weigh-in station map for your convenience. If you catch a fish after hours, some stations may still weigh-in fish if you call them. ALL fish caught must be weighed-in on the day they are caught. 

4) All fish must be fresh, no frozen fish will be weighed-in. If it's brutally cold, use a bucket or cooler with aeration. Do not use stringers as these will mark the jaw area of the fish and may draw skepticism to your catch resulting in a LD Test if it places in the top 3.

5) All top 3 placing fish in each category must be kept until bumped to 4th place or lower. All top 3 placing fish in each category on Feb. 22nd must be brought to the awards ceremony on Sodus Bay by the angler who caught it, or else be DQ'ed. These fish will be scanned, verified, and used for promotional pictures and may be necessary for free mounts. It is also highly suggested that any fish placing in the top 3 be photographed with and without flash for use if a mount is given.

6) Any pics taken on the ice, at the weigh-in stations, etc. can be sent to us at: [email protected] and we will post them on our website, FB, and/or other media. Any photos sent grant the NYS Ice Pro-Am Corporation full rights to use those photos for advertising and promoting purposes.

7) Spread word of the tournament and encourage any and all anglers to get in the event, as this will only drive the payouts higher. Anglers can register any day up to Feb. 22nd, but any fish caught prior to their entry in the tournament may not be used, and they must register by 7am for that day's fish to be eligible.

Have fun, please exercise extreme caution if venturing out on the early ice, and stay safe this winter season. Good luck and tight lines!!

:icefish:  Tournament Control   :icefish:
Tim Thomas
President & CEO

Captain

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
« Reply #66 on: Dec 31, 2014, 06:02 PM »
HERE WE GO!!! THE GAME IS ON!!!
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline Finders Keepers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Capt. Finders Keepers
« Reply #67 on: Jan 01, 2015, 03:33 PM »
As fishing on Day 1 of the tournament comes to a close, the leader board is still wide open! As the major cold outbreak sets up ice across the state, we expect our numbers to go up substantially over the next two weeks. Once we get 100 anglers in the event, we will start a running total on the number of anglers on the website.  @)
Tim Thomas
President & CEO

Captain

Offline duke14

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • thats why they call it fishin,not catchin!
« Reply #68 on: Jan 01, 2015, 06:32 PM »
Fat Nancy"s in Pulaski is NOT a weigh station for the Winter Classic Tournament,
Just caught a 30 inch steelhead,went there to enter it,they said they didn't  have a scale there,
so I  have to drive 30 to enter a fish,

Offline Finders Keepers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Capt. Finders Keepers
« Reply #69 on: Jan 01, 2015, 07:28 PM »
Fat Nancy"s in Pulaski is NOT a weigh station for the Winter Classic Tournament,
Just caught a 30 inch steelhead,went there to enter it,they said they didn't  have a scale there,
so I  have to drive 30 to enter a fish,

They are a station and have a scale. I will look into this right now. I wish someone would have called me (especially Fat Nanacy's) as we could have gotten it straightened around then. If anyone has an issue at any of our stations, please call me direct: (585) 330-0494.
Tim Thomas
President & CEO

Captain

Offline Finders Keepers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Capt. Finders Keepers
« Reply #70 on: Jan 02, 2015, 09:05 AM »
Fat Nancy's is now all set-up and ready to go.  @)
Tim Thomas
President & CEO

Captain

Offline Finders Keepers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Capt. Finders Keepers
« Reply #71 on: Jan 03, 2015, 06:53 PM »
Several fish brought in today, including a 2.57 lb Crappie caught by Dan Hargrave!  :flex: :clap:
Tim Thomas
President & CEO

Captain

Offline dave1984

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #72 on: Jan 05, 2015, 01:06 PM »
Let's hope we get some good ice for next weekends tournament.
TEAM ADVENTURE

Offline Finders Keepers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Capt. Finders Keepers
« Reply #73 on: Jan 05, 2015, 05:35 PM »
We'll have the temps, let's hope the wind lays down enough for the ice to build!! @)
Tim Thomas
President & CEO

Captain

Offline dave1984

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #74 on: Jan 06, 2015, 07:06 PM »
Well Chaumont bay is completely frozen with weather should have plenty of ice for next weekends tournament
TEAM ADVENTURE

Offline Finders Keepers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Capt. Finders Keepers
« Reply #75 on: Jan 06, 2015, 08:15 PM »
Well Chaumont bay is completely frozen with weather should have plenty of ice for next weekends tournament

That's awesome news and we are in full-blown prep mode for next weekend's IPA Team-Only event (Jan. 17th). Full details will be posted on the IPA website: click on the "Events" tab then the Chaumont Team-Only Event link. THERE IS NO CAPTAINS MEETING FRIDAY NIGHT FOR THIS EVENT Registration will be Saturday morning starting at 2am at Chaumont Hardware.  Check-in, equipment check, and the shotgun start will be taking place from the State Boat Launch just north of the town (about a 1/2 mile north of Chaumont Hardware on the left). Look for the signs! Anglers will also be able to register for the Winter Classic. Here's a breakdown of the fees:
Team-Only Event: $100/team
Lunker Pool (optional): $20/team
Winter Classic (optional): $25/angler
Winter Classic Lunker Pool (optional): $10/angler

Let the season begin!!!!  :icefish:
Tim Thomas
President & CEO

Captain

Offline Finders Keepers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Capt. Finders Keepers
« Reply #76 on: Jan 06, 2015, 09:05 PM »
New prize announcement:

I'll throw in a free mount for the Perch Division if the winning perch for the NYS Winter Classic is a blue perch!! Must be of the yellow perch species and a true blue perch, not just discolored! @)
Tim Thomas
President & CEO

Captain

Offline rball

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Jan 06, 2015, 09:42 PM »
oh man you got yourself a deal tim, I got just the spot. I get some every year.....

Offline Finders Keepers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Capt. Finders Keepers
« Reply #78 on: Jan 07, 2015, 04:58 AM »
oh man you got yourself a deal tim, I got just the spot. I get some every year.....

NICE!! But it's got to be a monster blue and take first place! @)
Tim Thomas
President & CEO

Captain

Offline rball

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Jan 07, 2015, 03:32 PM »
I am never sure on their weight but they tend to average 13-17 inches when i do catch them and normally fatter than a beer can

Offline Finders Keepers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Capt. Finders Keepers
« Reply #80 on: Jan 07, 2015, 05:40 PM »
I am never sure on their weight but they tend to average 13-17 inches when i do catch them and normally fatter than a beer can

Can't wait to see one of those!! :woot:
Tim Thomas
President & CEO

Captain

Offline rball

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Jan 07, 2015, 05:47 PM »
I will be giving it a go before work all week. unfortunately my go to spot has dwindled down over the years in terms of numbers. They are all of good size just not in the numbers we used to get. I believe its because the trout stocking program has finally took hold and they are reproducing now on their own and have taken over the perch breeding spot. There are so many lakes here I have spent almost all of last year and so far most of this season trying new spots. That pike I got was the first fish I ever pulled out of that pond....was thinking about hitting the perch spot tomorrow but idk with the -29 temps I think ill try another day.

Offline Finders Keepers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Capt. Finders Keepers
« Reply #82 on: Jan 07, 2015, 09:15 PM »
I've updated the website for the Chaumont Bay Team-Only event including the Maps and Timeline. I've heard from many returning teams as well as new teams looking to fish the event - so it looks like it will be well-attended and ice is looking good!! -20 degrees there right now!!  :thumbsup:
Tim Thomas
President & CEO

Captain

Offline dave1984

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #83 on: Jan 08, 2015, 06:03 AM »
With this weather should be a issue bringing machines on ice should have plenty of ice
TEAM ADVENTURE

Offline Finders Keepers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Capt. Finders Keepers
« Reply #84 on: Jan 08, 2015, 08:45 AM »
Yeah, it's looking pretty good! We'll make the call on machines next week, probably Wednesday, and adjust the fishing boundaries as necessary with guidance from Greg.
Tim Thomas
President & CEO

Captain

Offline Three Mile Bay Fire Co

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #85 on: Jan 09, 2015, 02:09 PM »
Tim,

We would like to Welcome your Group of TEAM- Only Professionals to Chaumont Bay.  Hope you have a Great Event

Bill

Offline Finders Keepers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Capt. Finders Keepers
« Reply #86 on: Jan 09, 2015, 06:23 PM »
Tim,
 We would like to Welcome your Group of TEAM- Only Professionals to Chaumont Bay.  Hope you have a Great Event
Bill

Thanks Bill! We've had many requests for information for next weekend's first Ice Pro-Am Team-Only event on Chaumont Bay, so it's shaping up to be a great way to kick off the series!! We have updated the website with tourney information including maps, recap on the fish each team will be going for, and timeline of how the event will occur throughout the day.

Lots to update everyone on tonight:
1) Starting tomorrow, Bass Pro Shops in Auburn will be an official weigh-in station for the Winter Classic!!

2) Bob-Light has joined our list of sponsors for this year's events. Check them out at: www.bob-light.com

3) Addya Hooks has also joined our sponsor line-up and will be providing hooks for all our pro-am teams and prize packages this year! Check them out at: www.addyaoutdoors.com

4) Some major changes to our Chaumont Bay/Black Lake event on the 31st will be forthcoming later this weekend, but it will be going back to a 2-day event. The 1000 Islands Harbor Hotel has extended their $99/night rate - if you're going to need a place to stay that weekend, this is the place!! Stay tuned for further updates and all the details!

5) Our registrations for the Winter Classic keep creeping up - tell all your angling friends and help spread the word so we can get the numbers up to push the payouts up!

6) We ordered all the trophies for this year's events, including next weekend's Team-Only event! We'll have trophies for the team who claims first place! Pics to come next week when we pick them up. We will also have the Triple Crown Series Title Cup on display next weekend.

7) Anyone want some Brantner Jigs??

Kevin and his crew came through with a HUGE sponsorship!!! We'll be including some in all the captains packs and throughout our prize structure for the IPA this year!!  @)
Tim Thomas
President & CEO

Captain

Offline rball

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #87 on: Jan 09, 2015, 06:45 PM »
that's awesome, no wonder why its taking so long to get my order haha.

Offline Finders Keepers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Capt. Finders Keepers
« Reply #88 on: Jan 09, 2015, 06:49 PM »
that's awesome, no wonder why its taking so long to get my order haha.
Yeah, sorry about that!! :whistle:
Tim Thomas
President & CEO

Captain

Offline bushyjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag
« Reply #89 on: Jan 09, 2015, 07:49 PM »
Great new information.   Keep it going tim. Thanks for all u do