Author Topic: Ice shack mods  (Read 25067 times)

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ice shack mods
« Reply #30 on: Aug 26, 2014, 08:56 PM »
here is one i just thought of is a fly shack ice fly patch mine is 15 x15 inches square i got it at bigpapasportfishing.co mn it is a spoon devided for great lakes trolling spoons i am sure you can make your own or buy one pre-made  if you like. any ways enjoy the photos..

here is a shot of it hanging in front of me. from the cross bar of the shanty.

here is a shot of it on the side below the window of the shanty hanging form to cross bars. full of lures of course..

here is what it look like not so close up by the way it has the two Velcro straps for attachment i am sure you could do the work for the button snaps attachments.

link to big papa sportfishing .com

http://www.bigpapasportfishing.com/

Offline okcableguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Sep 01, 2014, 04:10 PM »
Ok,  pictures would have been to much so instead I did a YouTube video...

Let me know if you got any questions...

My Job?

I feed the world...

Offline GrabLifeByTheGills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Sep 01, 2014, 11:26 PM »
Okcableguy are you worried about the wiering being exposed under the center part or is it inclosed on the sides? I'm running one swith for 2 lights but picked up a multi switch and some adhesive led lights today just need some free time to install it all. Nice vid btw

Offline okcableguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Sep 01, 2014, 11:33 PM »
no sides, didn't want any more weight than needed and it would make for a complete PITA to clean out if it had sections... even the back 2x4 is mounted flush with the top so the bottom is still open. 

I have the wires kept short and stapled where possible to prevent anything from catching.  Once I'm completely done i'm planning to secure them with more staples and zipties as needed just haven't got there yet because we all know how that works when you make things neat as you go... you always wind up tearing it apart to tap in one more wire or something you forgot...

Only thing i wish i had done different but couldn't bring myself to do it on a rig less than a year old would be to drill holes in the tubes to run the wire down the inside so you don't have to worry about it being in the way when its all folded down.  Just couldn't do that on this one.

One more mod I have coming is the hitch for the 3 wheeler to pull it when possible.

Glad you liked the video.
My Job?

I feed the world...

Offline IceHutt

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep & bear arms.Assume nothing.Fish & hunt often!
« Reply #34 on: Sep 02, 2014, 10:03 AM »
I enjoyed your video, OK C.G. and the way that you lit up your flipover.  You are definately the "Master of light"! @)  Thanks.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Sep 02, 2014, 10:17 AM »
i did run my wireing inside the tubing on the bows had to drill 2 holes the first one was pinching the wires when folded down

Offline jordy1380

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Sep 02, 2014, 02:28 PM »
I've made some cheap little pole holders out of 1.5" pvc to mount on the lip of my sled. It's pretty simple and cheap to do with a pvc bushing, a bolt, some washers and a 45* or 90* pvc elbow. There's a guy that is selling the materials bunched together as 'ice rod holders' for around $20 on ebay. I found a center console floating in one of the lakes around me after ice out that I think I'm going to make a box to put it on and put some batteries/ rod holders/ etc on. Should be nice! Okcableguy does have a sweet rack made for his auger though ;p
Get Yo Fish On!

Offline okcableguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Sep 02, 2014, 10:52 PM »
I enjoyed your video, OK C.G. and the way that you lit up your flipover.  You are definately the "Master of light"! @)  Thanks.

MASTER OF LIGHT............... you sir are not the first to speak of such great words LOL 

Honestly, I'M A LIGHT FREAK!!!  If you ever need help or looking for a good deal, let me know, I'd be glad to help however I possibly can!!
My Job?

I feed the world...

Offline IceHutt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Sep 03, 2014, 12:06 AM »
Thanks, OK C.G.  I may contact you about some lighting projects that I have. Happy trails ! :)

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Sep 04, 2014, 08:54 PM »
Just rewired my lighting for my shack today figured out a better way than what I had so check out the YouTube vid

Offline IceHutt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Sep 07, 2014, 02:45 PM »
with all of the zipper noises in the dark :o, I thought for a minute that we were watching a scene in the movie BLAZING SADDLES......... ;)    Nice lighting though ! ;D

Offline CARTMATT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Sep 17, 2014, 08:20 AM »
Ill post some mods Ive made for sled, atv, trailer set up. But my best by far is painting the inside WHITE! Brightens everything up.  Faster we can get on the ice and set up, the more fish to lie about!  ;D

Offline okcableguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Sep 17, 2014, 11:37 AM »
What paint did you use since most paints have a hardening finish that would Crack when the material is folded...
My Job?

I feed the world...

Offline CARTMATT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Sep 17, 2014, 11:45 AM »
I believe its Krylon Fusion, made just for plastics. Cleaned well first with alcohol.  Still scrapes and scratches from seats, misc.  But less than $10 mod.

Offline whitetips

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Sep 17, 2014, 12:16 PM »
But if you might be doing some sight-fishing, don't you want the inside as dark as possible?

Daryl B.
Daryl Bauer
Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
[email protected]
http://neblandvm.outdoornebraska.gov/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #45 on: Sep 17, 2014, 01:28 PM »
But if you might be doing some sight-fishing, don't you want the inside as dark as possible?

Daryl B.

Believe he is referring to the interior of the sled ...clam has/had a sled either light gray or white ...seems like a neat and bright idea.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Sep 17, 2014, 06:56 PM »
I am also considering painting my sled white too wasn't sure about paint to use tho

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #47 on: Sep 17, 2014, 07:06 PM »
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline WalleyewarriorII

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Get busy living or get busy dying!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #48 on: Sep 17, 2014, 07:43 PM »
Yes sir, just great lights!
[/quote

So how long will the lights run on a small battery?

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Sep 17, 2014, 08:44 PM »
been trying to get some snow camo for my shanties? any one know were to get a snow camo tarp? for like hunting in snow for goose hunting?

Offline CARTMATT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Sep 18, 2014, 08:03 AM »
On a side note for you guys adding batteries. You can buy the small 12 volt batteries like what flashers use at TSC. They are in the electric fence aisle and are same size with same tabs. Mount in your sled, put battery tender on between outings. These LED light now days dont use much powa.  Save yourself a trip and or $ from buying at specialty shop.  And my sled is a Calm flipover, so the floor doesn't really affect my vision if I were to look away from my flasher.  If your are to paint though, do in the sun or warm garage. Not once its -10.  ;D

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Sep 18, 2014, 10:25 AM »
On a side note for you guys adding batteries. You can buy the small 12 volt batteries like what flashers use at TSC. They are in the electric fence aisle and are same size with same tabs. Mount in your sled, put battery tender on between outings. These LED light now days dont use much powa.  Save yourself a trip and or $ from buying at specialty shop.

Thanks for the heads up! I need to grab 1 or 2 here soon. Do you remember what you paid?

Offline CARTMATT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Sep 18, 2014, 10:36 AM »
I believe around $20 a couple years ago. BPS has cheaper if your there, but if in the sticks an easy find.  http://www.basspro.com/RedHead-Rechargeable-Batteries/product/49382/?cmCat=CROSSSELL_THUMBNAIL

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Sep 25, 2014, 11:12 AM »
Finally got my power box wired up and clam light stick installed in my Nanook (with a lot of help from my good buddy GrabLifeByTheGills). I am planning on adding a second 12v battery to the box, another cigarette lighter port, and a couple more LEDs inside the sled, but it turned out way better than I had envisioned.

I'm still waiting on my Otter rod holders and Engel bait cooler, but should be close to being ready for the ice!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Sep 25, 2014, 08:43 PM »
Looks good grizzlyhackle

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: Oct 02, 2014, 03:26 PM »
I haven't had in-field experience yet, but so far these Otter rod holders look like they are worth the price. They will keep my rods off of the ice, the arms adjust to any position, and hopefully they will be able to save a rod from going down the hole if left unattended for a short period of time...

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Oct 02, 2014, 03:55 PM »
grizzly hackle is that a setter type dog ? kinda looks like a puppy English setter? i got a English setter and a  Llewellin Setter the English setter we got form the humane society glad she did not get put down she is a wonderful dog  full of life now still timed as can be but a good spark in my life the other is a Llewellin Setter we got from a breeder for hunting pheasant.  any how we got another dog too from the humane society that is a cocker/poodle mix which is my sisters dog. any how was just curious about that pup any ways the rod holder look awesome been thinking of how to mount some in my one man for a while now..   

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Oct 02, 2014, 06:55 PM »
I haven't had in-field experience yet, but so far these Otter rod holders look like they are worth the price. They will keep my rods off of the ice, the arms adjust to any position, and hopefully they will be able to save a rod from going down the hole if left unattended for a short period of time...

I may have to get the welder out ans build a couple of those

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Oct 02, 2014, 07:41 PM »
Hey grizz those look nice who helped mount them for ya lol looks good bro

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #59 on: Oct 03, 2014, 09:19 AM »
grizzly hackle is that a setter type dog ? kinda looks like a puppy English setter? i got a English setter and a  Llewellin Setter the English setter we got form the humane society glad she did not get put down she is a wonderful dog  full of life now still timed as can be but a good spark in my life the other is a Llewellin Setter we got from a breeder for hunting pheasant.  any how we got another dog too from the humane society that is a cocker/poodle mix which is my sisters dog. any how was just curious about that pup any ways the rod holder look awesome been thinking of how to mount some in my one man for a while now..

Haha I didn't realize she was in the pic - she is a Springer, I have 2 females. I have always wanted a setter though if I was going to get a pointer. Very glad your dog didnt have to get put down, one of the worst pains I have ever felt.

I may have to get the welder out ans build a couple of those

Man, I wish I knew how to weld!

Hey grizz those look nice who helped mount them for ya lol looks good bro

You know my ice brother  ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.