Author Topic: Ice shack mods  (Read 25062 times)

Offline GrabLifeByTheGills

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice shack mods
« on: Jul 29, 2014, 04:17 PM »
Let's see your ice shack mods

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Ice shack mods
« Reply #1 on: Jul 30, 2014, 09:56 AM »
Let's see yours  ;) I know you've been doing a lot of work this off season. You got some real sweet ideas brother!

Offline okcableguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jul 30, 2014, 09:56 PM »
I'll get some photos tomorrow if i remember.  Got a hell of a setup I'm working on that will keep everything contained to one rig so i don't have to load and unload a bunch of crap between fish catching!
My Job?

I feed the world...

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Aug 02, 2014, 05:03 PM »

Offline spikes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Aug 04, 2014, 08:57 PM »
Great mods.   I also added a bunch of film led that was left over from a job.  I also added some reflectix for insulation and otter pole holders.   

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Aug 11, 2014, 10:38 AM »
I built pole holders to clamp onto the frame of the hut.  It just uses a 1" PVC 'T' screwed to a spring clamp.  They worked great!

Also built a light setup that clips onto the top hoop of the frame, using broom handle clamps from the hardware store.  For lights I used a pair of white LED driving lights, and a pair of blue ones that I found in my tool box, both on separate switches.  The white ones are bright as hell, and the blue ones are almost like a black light.  any things white florescent colored glows very bright.  This worked great at night with orange rod tips, it kept the light down, but was bright enough to see the rod.   

For storage I pulled the cargo net out of the truck of a used car, and hung it at the back of the hut.  Works great for storing hat, gloves, coat, etc, and keeping it dry.

Not really a mod, but I had a warranty issue with out new Clam Yukon, and they replaced the cover with a thermal top cover for no extra charge.  I haven't put it on yet though.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Aug 18, 2014, 06:08 PM »
I need some suggestions on how to mount my batteries for my lights they're just sliding around my shack now

Offline Lyontyl

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Aug 18, 2014, 09:15 PM »
I need some suggestions on how to mount my batteries for my lights they're just sliding around my shack now

Honestly the easiest thing is the Clam battery bracket.  I gave in and bought it after some of my failed attempts to make a good one.  It's like $12 or something cheap.

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Aug 19, 2014, 12:16 AM »
I built pole holders to clamp onto the frame of the hut.  It just uses a 1" PVC 'T' screwed to a spring clamp.  They worked great!

Also built a light setup that clips onto the top hoop of the frame, using broom handle clamps from the hardware store.  For lights I used a pair of white LED driving lights, and a pair of blue ones that I found in my tool box, both on separate switches.  The white ones are bright as hell, and the blue ones are almost like a black light.  any things white florescent colored glows very bright.  This worked great at night with orange rod tips, it kept the light down, but was bright enough to see the rod.   

For storage I pulled the cargo net out of the truck of a used car, and hung it at the back of the hut.  Works great for storing hat, gloves, coat, etc, and keeping it dry.

Not really a mod, but I had a warranty issue with out new Clam Yukon, and they replaced the cover with a thermal top cover for no extra charge.  I haven't put it on yet though.

we built these for fishing the wall in port huron for salmon ,steel head,walleyes etc etc any how i may have to get some some c-clamps and build some for ice fishing in my portable.  the jaws of the c-clamps have angle iron welded to them and i would have to have a lock able swivel made some way to swivel the tube.  its just a idea here is a picture of the rod holders i made in action... these in the picture are a tad big for ice fishing but if i down sized them it would be awesome.. to like a 4 or 5 inch c-clamp instead of a 10 inch c-clamp. by the way great idea on the rod holder as you ycan see it got me thinking!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Aug 19, 2014, 03:16 AM »

Put mine in a plastic ammo box .  Could use a C bracket(attached to the ammo box ) and have it hang from the front lip of your shelter

http://www.mechandelec.co.uk/_images/_images/l/1993-lbc200_200mm_haley_cable_tray_ceiling_brackets_1pack.jpg
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Aug 19, 2014, 08:19 AM »

fiberglass project?? ask around and search around i am sure you can find fiber glass lid projects for the sled base on here... if  you got a question on what i am talking about just ask..

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Aug 19, 2014, 09:45 AM »
Put mine in a plastic ammo box .  Could use a C bracket(attached to the ammo box ) and have it hang from the front lip of your shelter

http://www.mechandelec.co.uk/_images/_images/l/1993-lbc200_200mm_haley_cable_tray_ceiling_brackets_1pack.jpg

My dad took it a step further, and wired the battery to the box, including a 12v outlet, master switch, and a 3 LED lamp.

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Aug 19, 2014, 05:45 PM »

how many batteries we talking? you could fab up a clam style battery bracket from some sheet goods if you got any ideas on what you want i have been wanting to by a pan brake for a long time the kind with removable fingers.  you could custom make one for like  3 bats to 100 bats  if that what you like to use or and could  fit. the question i have is can you get the sheet goods to make it. i know lowes ,home depot and tractor supply company, carry diamond plate which could be fun to play with? then make a frabill recon max  top out of card board to your specks of course then hardener it up with fiber glass resin and hardener mixture  and apply fiber glass mat etc.. etc..  some people vacuum bag their fiber glass some don't i think vacuum bagging works the best. trying to find a eskimo wide one inferno this year or even a shappell bay runner.  the  fun part is going to be customizing it to what i want to do to them. i own a frabill recon  i got to wait on doing cause i noticed it was a tad small and the skirt leaked a lot,  breezy if you will  when windy but that one is spoken for if i buy a new one lol's ...       

Offline JAM3S

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 40° makes me sweat.
« Reply #13 on: Aug 21, 2014, 12:42 PM »
Okcableguy needs to chime in here. He's done a ton of work to his clam.  Center console with cup holders and switches, lights all over the place. The thing must weigh 400lb by now. We're coming up with a way to attach our two huts back to back to share heat and pass schnapps back and forth easily.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Aug 21, 2014, 06:46 PM »
Clam makes a tunnel to conect 2 shacks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Aug 21, 2014, 06:52 PM »
It's called a trap link

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Aug 21, 2014, 07:52 PM »
if you can not find a trap link that works mite want to try to contact a canvass repair or a canvas seamstress in your area. this is one in town that does canvas cover and will custom make you something.

as for the fiber glassing work  i think he was the one i seen who did it ? not sure who ever it was did a great job on there sled! made me think about doing mine....     

here is a link to a local canvas seamstress.

http://www.bevscanvascovers.com/

Offline WalleyewarriorII

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Get busy living or get busy dying!!!!!!!!!!

Added a tool holder and swing out rod holder to my Fraybill Commando.  Also the corner now works as a cup holder.  a 12 oz can fits in the corner.

Offline WalleyewarriorII

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Get busy living or get busy dying!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Ice shack mods One more! Added a rod holder
« Reply #18 on: Aug 22, 2014, 07:02 AM »

Took a piece of plastic rain gutter  (Menards has them free on rebate this week) and attached it to the side of my commando.  Makes a nice rod caddy.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Aug 22, 2014, 07:16 AM »
I like both those ideas WWII ...I got to add the Frabill rod holder to my sled ...along with this bait shelf ..https://www.redrockstore.com/index.php/ice-fishing-accessories/mags-sidebaiter  ... I use a planter window box for rods ...but like your gutter idea better
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline okcableguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Aug 22, 2014, 10:58 PM »
The trap link is only for the old style huts where the entire back unzipped... Done a ton of homework on that one and its not made for our little doors they put on the new huts.  SUCKS TOO!  We've thought about doing a fabric boot but finding a way to attach that to the hut without removing the tent to get something sewn in is impossible!!

I know I need to get my pictures up here already.  I build a double battery tray out of the cage from a portable halogen work light.  little foam between them to keep them nice and snug and then screwed to the bottom side of my center console.  Wires then run to my switch panel that operate the overhead lights and the foot lights for either side individually.  I installed a 12v cigarette light plugin with 2 USB ports for charging phones and bluetooth speaker.  Installed LED boat lighting to the side of the sled that points at your feet, then I ran 1 - 12" LED strip over your head on each side and 1 - 12" LED strip down the vertical pole pointed forward.  Its just enough to see what you are doing but not so bright that you go blind.  The switch panel allows you to on/off the overhead on either side and on/off the foot light on either side. 

Behind the seats I ran a 2x4 long ways and then mounted a carpeted piece of plywood to the back plastic.  on the bottom side of the lid i attached small pieces of velcro to hold my rods to the lid so they are safe and won't get broken.  This also makes for nice (hate to say this word) "off season" storage as well.  It sits flush with the top of the back plastic so there is plenty of room below it to still put my small shovel, hole scoop, sonar, and camera.   There are 2 led strips back there on a switch as well to light up the rod holding area.

Last year I attached 2 pieces of 3' metal square tubing up under the lip of the hut pointed opposite of the rope end.  Then I built 2 L shaped brackets with cradles on top and hold them in with quick pins.  This serves as my auger rack so you don't have to get oil/gas on your seats or try to carry it and pull your sled around.  This year i'm adding a cross bar to that so i can hang my 20# propane tank from it for my heater instead of having it roll around the inside of the hut.

I switched out the Clam Ass Numbing Seats with some nice fold down boat seats that mounted right to the swivel base like it was meant to be.   I still need to attach a few clothes pins to some velcro strips to hang gloves over head where the heat rolls up from the heater so gloves stay toasty instead of in a storage pocket on a back or side wall where they just stay cold...

I'm sure I'm missing a few things but can't remember right now.  As for weight, i've only added 5' of 2x4 and a 14" x 5' and 24" x 14" pieces of plywood and a few led lights and 2 small 12v 7ah batteries.  everything else was there last year and i pulled it ok.

Oh yeah, I took an old tool belt apart and kept the belt and suspenders, then i tied a rope to the belt in the middle and tied that to the Yukon rope of the hut.  I can pull the hut with my body now instead of pulling your arm out of the socket by dragging it by hand.  by doing this i was able to get about 750# of human and 300# of gear attached to it like a train and drug everyone across the ice for a bit.  LOVE THE HARNESS!!!

I'll get some pictures up soon as I finish all the wiring so everything lights up nice for photos....
My Job?

I feed the world...

Offline okcableguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Aug 22, 2014, 11:01 PM »
if you can not find a trap link that works mite want to try to contact a canvass repair or a canvas seamstress in your area. this is one in town that does canvas cover and will custom make you something.

as for the fiber glassing work  i think he was the one i seen who did it ? not sure who ever it was did a great job on there sled! made me think about doing mine....     

here is a link to a local canvas seamstress.

http://www.bevscanvascovers.com/

sorry buddy but i'm not taking my hut to Michigan to have someone sew on it LOL  thanks for the link and the help though... Nebraska and Michigan are a ways apart though...
My Job?

I feed the world...

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Aug 22, 2014, 11:48 PM »

sorry buddy but i'm not taking my hut to Michigan to have someone sew on it LOL  thanks for the link and the help though... Nebraska and Michigan are a ways apart though...

that was just a example lol's i am sure some one in Nebraska does sew lol's.

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Aug 23, 2014, 12:02 AM »
here are some of my on going mods i have been doing to a recon non dlx version "no door"i only paid about $120-130 it new about 6-8 years ago. has been so long i forgot any how here is the seat mod i am in the progress of finishing and the battery bank mite be 24 volt or i will go with smaller vex bats not sure yet  but it does have the room for the two deep cycle as you can see in the pictures if need but will hate pulling them..

i will be most likely not using the deep cycle but running 6-8 vex bats mite be possible too. any how right in font of the seat will be switches for the over head lights, the fish finder, "it will be like the sonic ice hopper fish finder", the aerator, and maybe exterior lights ? then i got to wire it all  etc ...

the heater i use is a sport cat 1500 btu catalytic heater i don't want to use my north star lantern in it cause it sucks all available oxygen out of air and puts co in which is not good to use in a one man. this is ware i will be buying some three watt spot flood light led lights.   any how enjoy the picture  hope i can do some progress this week just like every one else no time.... 

Offline IceHutt

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep & bear arms.Assume nothing.Fish & hunt often!
« Reply #24 on: Aug 23, 2014, 10:25 AM »
I like the idea of a decent seat since MY ASS ;D is going to spend a good portion of the day in it ! :P  Happy Trails! :)

Offline okcableguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Aug 23, 2014, 11:51 AM »
Fish-Kabob

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UPG-6-Pack-CSB-Battery-Of-America-GP1272-Replacement-Battery-12V-7Ah-/380925177391?pt=US_Rechargeable_Batteries&hash=item58b0e8ee2f

that's $15/battery shipped!!!  you can't go wrong there!  i got 2 shipped for $28.  Ebay is God's gift to buying crap for other things and making them work in an ice hut for cheap!
My Job?

I feed the world...

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Aug 23, 2014, 06:25 PM »
thanks for that link sir it is book marked here is another one i will be running one maybe tow of these in the shack too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1X-Light-Bar-4-18W-Flood-Spot-Motorcycle-LED-Work-ATV-Off-Road-Fog-Driving-Cree-/331174763174?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d1b8ddaa6&vxp=mtr

Offline okcableguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Aug 23, 2014, 11:19 PM »
Totally not worth it for that price.  Look up "CREE LED 12V" you will crap yourself with a Cree led.  Order a small one ahead and hook it up before you order to big of one.  Cree led is the way to go when it comes to lighting like that.  More bang for buck and same buck price.  10:1 brighter and can be ordered much much smaller!! You'll thank me, I guarantee it.
My Job?

I feed the world...

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Aug 24, 2014, 04:25 PM »
Totally not worth it for that price.  Look up "CREE LED 12V" you will **** yourself with a Cree led.  Order a small one ahead and hook it up before you order to big of one.  Cree led is the way to go when it comes to lighting like that.  More bang for buck and same buck price.  10:1 brighter and can be ordered much much smaller!! You'll thank me, I guarantee it.

that is what i order is cree led's  thanks for the advice was thinking the same thing  was going to order a 5000 lumens one but went with a small one of about 1260 lumens. glad i did not order the 90 watt one now after seeing this video of two in action... there almost as bright as a hids just falls shorter also glad i did not get the 5 watt cree's too.  i ended out with the 3 watt cree leds for 18 watts total. here is a video of them on a car and i got one were they drop them off buildings, run them over with cars, etc but this will give a light comparison what i wanted to know.

here is the one they drop them off buildings..

Offline okcableguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Aug 25, 2014, 09:46 AM »
Yes sir, just great lights!
My Job?

I feed the world...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.