The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Alone or with friends?  (Read 2036 times)

Offline subtlehustle76

• Team IceShanty Regular
Alone or with friends?
« on: Jul 28, 2014, 05:31 PM »
What do you prefer when ice fishing? To be alone or with friends? Some cultures see it as a social activity and others as solidarity and contemplative isolation. For years I've gone alone and I do like it but it's mostly because it's hard to convince anyone I deal with to join. Growing up I had a best friend to do it with but that's far gone. I do like the group gatherings now and then but mostly end up alone. I think I would prefer just one close person to ice fish with all season with the occasional groups. I'd love for my wife to join but she rarely does. What say you?
"Nice bass thumb, wanna see my pickerel d!ck?"

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Alone or with friends?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 28, 2014, 06:31 PM »
When I go ice fishing the most people I go with is three or four all of which are close friends.  I have a lot of fun but we only get together on Sundays due to our conflicting schedules.  When I go during the week I fish a lone or with one other friend depending on what his schedule is.  What part of Pa are you from, maybe we could meet up sometime.

Offline clhuff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jul 28, 2014, 07:06 PM »
Usually alone no one will go out as much as me  lol

Offline muskiewrangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born to fish
« Reply #3 on: Jul 28, 2014, 07:16 PM »
I usually go alone, but my shack's open to anyone on the ice who want to fish when it got colder than expected, started to snow harsher or just wanted to chitchat with someone. Made some great fishing buddies that way and actually made friends with my fishing mentor that way and he and I always try to get on the ice together as much as possible. So I'm happy either by myself or with my friends... and if you ever see me on the ice, give me a holler, I'll gladly let ya fish with me too  ;D
Be who you are and don't listen to others that say you shouldn't. That's how life should be lived as.

Offline Sodusitous

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • That hole ain't gonna drill it's self !
« Reply #4 on: Jul 28, 2014, 08:51 PM »
A lot of both is cool with me. I love a good gathering on the ice. Magical place
to hang with your buds. But I also enjoy the solo trips where youre more relaxed
and laid back. These are the times I like to experiment with different tactics.
There's no one there to tell you "that will never work - youre wasting your time"
Plus my future partner is only 3yrs old. As soon as his feet are big enough to not
fit thru a 6" hole, he will be right beside Dad as often as he likes.
"More is lost to indecision than wrong decision"

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Jul 28, 2014, 11:02 PM »
The "buddy system"  first and foremost ....for a lot of reasons ... if a "lil" fisherman shows up ..great .. lil kids bring luck .. and make you go back to "basics" ...tried n true tactics that always work ...without all the fancy nuances ...I tend to get on fish just to learn the young ones ...but a gathering of friends and fisherman is always fun too.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jul 29, 2014, 12:09 AM »
Groups are fun but Ive always fished most effectively alone.  I start earlier and stay later.  I drill holes and change presentations until I find em.  Last year my son started icing it with me. We don't fish dark to dark and he drills holes for no other reason than he's able.  Every lure change or flasher function generates a question and explanation.  Snacks and root beer are bare essentials.  Now I really prefer to fish alone with him...just the two of us.  Good thread!

Offline Dog-duster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Where's the ice?
« Reply #7 on: Jul 29, 2014, 08:04 AM »
I like going with friends or alone. Good company is fun but sometimes being alone is nice to just enjoy the peace and collect my thoughts. Half the time most my ice fishing friends aren't as committed to making the trip as I am so I head out by myself. Lots of work friends say they want to try it but don't go when I call and tell them how early I leave for the lake. My girls are starting to be old enough where I can take them and I took my oldest a few times in seasons past.

Offline JiggerDan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jul 29, 2014, 08:25 AM »
Either way works for me. If all my buddies are working or otherwise busy, I go alone. The buddy system is always best early and late in the season for safety reasons.
Jesus ain't the only one who walks on water!

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jul 29, 2014, 10:33 AM »
solo is great cuz I can move around more without worrying if my partners want to move or not. But I like fishing in a group too cuz we will each drill a bunch of holes in different areas and spend the day hole hopping. It's great pulling a couple fat perch out of a hole one of yer buddies just gave up on, lol!  ;)

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #10 on: Jul 29, 2014, 10:54 AM »
At home, I fish with buddies. Up in NE wis at my lake place, usually by myself with a couple of annual "homo weekends" tossed in. When I head up I really don't feel like babysitting or guiding. I want to fish. And when the guys come up, I feel more pressure to get them on fish because they came 300 miles to drill holes. I also like to stay out until 2-3am, they don't.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Jul 29, 2014, 12:19 PM »
Always with a buddy...... ;D
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline bowcarp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jul 29, 2014, 10:59 PM »
I take my dog does that count ?
governments should fear their citizens
“When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.”― Socrates
I miss North Dakota (least I did till the oil moved in )

Offline muskiewrangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born to fish
« Reply #13 on: Jul 30, 2014, 12:02 AM »
I take my dog does that count ?

Man's best "FRIEND"... so yeah!  ::)
Be who you are and don't listen to others that say you shouldn't. That's how life should be lived as.

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jul 30, 2014, 07:57 AM »
I fish mostly with my boys and friends.I do make a few trips alone a year also.You usally can make a friend or 2 on the ice when you go it alone.

Offline bowcarp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jul 30, 2014, 10:06 PM »
Funny you say that. I'm thinking about getting a dog just to ice fish with. Maybe train it to see flags go up.

they like watching the camera he'll watch the jig and whine when he sees a fish

governments should fear their citizens
“When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.”― Socrates
I miss North Dakota (least I did till the oil moved in )

Offline Eyes R Bitin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jul 30, 2014, 10:19 PM »
Lost my old ice fishing partner 9 years ago in a car accident.  Fished alone for a few years until my wife caught the fever.  She'll go out when she can now and we enjoy fishing together.  She'll retire before I will and we hope to get out more together then.  As it is now, I have lots more vacation than she does so hit the ice alone quite often.

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jul 31, 2014, 07:05 AM »
Chez, it is always a pleasure fishing with you. The T season is over in 6 weeks and it will be time for perch and crappie. Nough of the bass. See you soon!  Mark D.

ALWAYS GREAT FISHING WITH YOU BROTHER.HOPE THE T SEASON has been good to you.Will be looking foreward to doing some fall and icefishing with you.Good lucl.See you soon. :)

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Aug 01, 2014, 08:07 PM »
Awww she's cute.  I always had Beagles when I was growing up and they're my favorite dogs.  Good luck with your new friend.

Offline island beach

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Aug 01, 2014, 08:27 PM »
nice looking pup, my favorite breed!

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #20 on: Aug 01, 2014, 09:42 PM »
Very cute   :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :clap:
Never to many short poles

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Aug 04, 2014, 07:55 AM »
THAT THERE IS A RABBIT DOG.TRAIN THAT BEAUTIE TO HUNT BUNNIES.

Offline keith hess

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Aug 05, 2014, 08:18 PM »
I get off in the winter due to my job.I have two close that are retired and we meet up and go almost every day.It's a great time out there on the ice year after year.

Offline muskiewrangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born to fish
« Reply #23 on: Aug 07, 2014, 10:54 PM »
Ok here's a problem folks. I bought a beagle to take ice fishing with me. I have to install one of those underground electrical fences to teach it boundaries. Now the system uses flags to teach boundaries, yes FLAGS! I have to teach my dog to fear FLAGS!!!!!!!!  :tipup: >:(

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: Good luck training him now.

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Aug 08, 2014, 06:47 AM »
Maybe a different color flagg on tippup than on fence flags?Not sure it would work.Maybe worth a try.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #25 on: Aug 08, 2014, 07:20 AM »
Ok here's a problem folks. I bought a beagle to take ice fishing with me. I have to install one of those underground electrical fences to teach it boundaries. Now the system uses flags to teach boundaries, yes FLAGS! I have to teach my dog to fear FLAGS!!!!!!!!  :tipup: >:(

Teach him to bark at the ones in your yard so when he sees one up on the ice he will start barking.....   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Aug 08, 2014, 06:45 PM »
Sorry I can't help you there, I never hunted 3B and wouldn't even know where to being to look for a spot.  The first thing that comes to mind is look on the game commission's website, www.pgc.state.pa.us and look for game lands and check out the maps of them.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #27 on: Aug 09, 2014, 03:13 AM »
I do both feel safer with a buddy or group on the ice. Unfortunately for me I work odd hours so many times can only get out for a few hours. Usually will stick to a smaller lake and stay close to shore when fishing alone. Good looking dogs .
Steve

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.