Author Topic: Lowrance Ice 4 vs. Ice 5  (Read 1350 times)

Offline jbhandjr

• IceShanty Rookie
Lowrance Ice 4 vs. Ice 5
« on: Jul 26, 2014, 10:17 AM »
Finally decided to get a finder this year, had been debating on a flasher but these lowrance units just look like great machines.

Even after searching on here and looking at Lowrance's site, it isn't easy to determine the differences.  Any real world advice to go along with any specs thrown out?

I fish in SE Nebraska for the most part, and the deepest water we have is <35'.  I usually fish in <20' of water.  With that said, I'd rather have the option for deeper water for a road trip.

Lastly, from what I can tell,the general consensus is that both flashers and finders (its all sonar, right?!) will help pull more fish through the hard stuff, but it seems like the only drawback to a true finder is that machine fine tuning can make hopping from hole to hole a little more difficult w/longer transitions...  Thoughts?

-Barry-

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Lowrance Ice 4 vs. Ice 5
« Reply #1 on: Jul 26, 2014, 10:39 AM »
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline jbhandjr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jul 26, 2014, 11:07 AM »
Yeah, so I should have been more specific.

I've read that post but all I can tell from that is Max depth is 1000 vs. 800, power is 4000 w vs. 2100 w, battery is same and display size is different.

I guess specific questions might make it easier...

1.  Is the additional power necessary?  I know the depth won't be.

2.  What does additional power actually do for the user?

3.  Can't tell from the specs, but the resolution appears to be the same on both units, considering pixels vs. screen size.  Is the ice 4 color as well?

4.  Is the preloaded gps map functional or is it just loosely based on actual locations of US waters?

5.  I can't seem to justify an extra $250 from these features.  Is there something else that is missing from the specs (i.e. menu functionality, ease of setup, etc.)?

Offline jbhandjr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jul 26, 2014, 11:19 AM »
Just noticed that the 4x "has the same display" and it shows as color, so that answers that.

One more question:

What is entailed with hooking this unit up to my canoe?

Thanks again!

Offline Dog-duster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Where's the ice?
« Reply #4 on: Aug 04, 2014, 03:20 PM »
While they do have the same display and either will make a big difference in your catch rates I would go for the larger display first. I bought an X-67c (predecessor to the elite 4) and sold out to go to a LX7. The LX7 is nice for the huge screen but I miss things about my old Lowrance so I bought a Elite 5x HDI to use as a loaner when I bring newbies with me on the ice. I don't have much use for chart plotting so I went with the 5x to save $150 iirc. It will cost around$70 to get the ice transducer but I bet you could use the skimmer that  comes with the 5x on your canoe.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Aug 13, 2014, 04:47 PM »
Dog duster is the transducer a straight hook up for the Elite 5 HDI or is an adapter needed??? Also do you have to turn off the HDI part of the unit every time you power up the machine??? I'm looking to upgrade from my Lowrance Mark 5 unit this year also. Thank you...

Offline TType86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Aug 13, 2014, 09:27 PM »
You are right most any finder that will read your jig and bottom will help pull fish through the ice. Also Id agree that a dedicated ice unit is usually easier to adjust settings for hole hopping around. I have a marcum lx5 for ice and a humminbird 345 for open water. The bird will work for ice but I much prefer the lx5 because its easier for me to find my jig on the screen and keep it in sight and the settings adjustments are simpler and much quicker. The newer digital marcum units are pretty neat looking. They are geared towards the ice fishing world with the ability to use on open water also with a standard sonar graph mode along with also the ice mode that has the flasher screen and vertical flasher screen like on the showdowns. Ive never used one but they look like the cats meow. I know other brands have ice modes also etc etc..., but seems like marcum has spent more time aiming their units towards the ice fishing world and giving the user what they want. Is any lcd unit as good? Thats for the user to decide. I do love my bird for open water, but if I was to buy one unit for year round fishing, this guy would be buying a marcum lx6. Dont need the bigger screen myself. Just wish theyd add a built in gps into the lx6 and I may just not be able to control myself and go buy one. Still, its gona be very difficult for anyone to pry my mechanical flasher out of my hands for ice fishing. Just love me some mechanical flashers for the ice!

Offline jbhandjr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Aug 14, 2014, 10:19 PM »
TType,

The more I read the less I'm sure about what to buy.  From a Vex 18, to a Humminbird 386, marcums and lowrance...  I just don't know.

Offline TType86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Aug 14, 2014, 11:21 PM »
Its defintely a tough call. My advice to you would be to just spend time researching and pick what will suit you the best. If your trying to find a unit to use for both summer and ice season. That changes alot imo. Id defintely get something that has a graph mode also if you are gona use this unit in open water too. for ice, I just love my lx5 and see no reason to upgrade from what works great for me. All the top brands are really good these days. Its more of a matter of personal preference anymore I think. Would I love to have a unit with down imaging (Talking open water here) sure, but is it going to help me carch more fish. Heck I dont know. Is it cool. Sure, but I think Ill catch fish just fine without it and my 345 is so simple and works good enough I just cant seem to find a reason to upgrade just yet.

Offline trundog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Aug 19, 2014, 01:11 PM »
I have the elite-4 that I put on the canoe and the ice.  Up to last year I had rigged up a an arm to drop the transducer that came with the elite 4 through the ice.  Last year I bought the lowrance ice pack kit that came with a battery and ice transducer.  I went with the 4 originally because of the canoe I didn't want the extra size of the elite 5 when I was paddling around with the kids.  The 4 has been great for me.  The flasher clearly marks fish shows my jig and even the swivel if I have one tied on. The screen is clear and bright.  The contours on the lake I normally fish are 5 or 6 feet, so the installed maps aren't that good for finding hard topography breaks.  It is nice when you pop out of your shelter to go home and visibility is gone due to weather.  The chart clearly shows your trail from when you ventured out so you can retrace your path.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.