Author Topic: ATV Rear Storage Ideas  (Read 5212 times)

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
ATV Rear Storage Ideas
« on: Jul 24, 2014, 09:27 AM »
So I'm looking at adding storage to the back of my Sportsman. Not sure if I want to do a soft bag or a hard box yet. What are you guys running on your ATV's?

If I had to pay money right now, this is the one I'd buy, but I'm wide open (and being a Gander Mtn employee, I don't get a discount at Cabelas! LOL).

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: ATV Rear Storage Ideas
« Reply #1 on: Jul 24, 2014, 12:29 PM »
Soft bags are nice but not in the winter/freezing temps...  Zippers freeze up and the bags will eventually crack.. JMO..
Put a nice big rack on the back and either build a hard one or just strap a big tote on it..
JMO again..  ;)
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #2 on: Jul 24, 2014, 03:26 PM »
I have a Sportsman and put a rack "fence" or whatever they call it on the front and back to keep things from falling off and a place to hook bungees. It works OK. I also have a hitch rack that I put on the back to add more storage (my pop up fits on there great, nothing to drag)
 This is the best picture I could find of the wheeler with the loaded rack on the back. When I fish the local lake that is 5 miles from my house I put the wheeler, loaded with gear, right in the back of the truck, makes life real easy.

image sharing

When I fish the bigger lakes far from home I pull the enclosed trailer with everything in it to keep the road salt off it
inside the trailer:

Trailer/truck loaded and hooked up, ready to go:

upload gifs

When I head out the wheeler usually has 3 people on it so I try to keep the rear rack clear so they can sit on it.

I would love a cargo bag though because there are many items I would like to keep on the wheeler all the time such as tool kit, tow straps, clevis', stuff like that

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Jul 24, 2014, 06:57 PM »
I have the Otter Monster Box, for me and my type of fishing it works excellent. They are not cheap, but I got lucky off CL and got a great deal. The following video will give you a better idea of the MB features. 

Lots of choices out there, including building it yourself. Good Luck! Let us know what you get.

WS

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #4 on: Jul 24, 2014, 10:25 PM »
I'm liking that Otter, its sorta like a big truck bed. And I already have the Otter auger tube, which would eliminate the problem of finding an auger rack.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #5 on: Jul 25, 2014, 04:25 AM »
So I'm looking at adding storage to the back of my Sportsman. Not sure if I want to do a soft bag or a hard box yet. What are you guys running on your ATV's?

If I had to pay money right now, this is the one I'd buy, but I'm wide open (and being a Gander Mtn employee, I don't get a discount at Cabelas! LOL).

Wouldn't recommend that one. A buddy of mine bought that one in the spring of 2013 for his Polaris Sportsman. Needless to say, it didn't last 1 full year. As mentioned, cold weather is no good for the soft bags. Zippers will freeze & I've seen the material around the zippers fail. The hard storage boxes are a better all season choice for ATV's. Just my .2cents !!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Jul 25, 2014, 05:48 AM »
I have two front fender mounted saddle bags and a tank bag ...fit most of my tools and essentials including an air compressor and tire plugs  ..I had a soft sided rear cargo bag too ..but had to remove it to put on the ice shelter rack . The rear cargo bag held mostly rain gear ,tow rope, and gloves . Chapstick on the zippers makes them work like a dream ...shelter ,nap sacks fishing bags etc
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline SeisMec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather be fishing!
« Reply #7 on: Jul 25, 2014, 07:56 AM »
I have a set of CanAm waterproof soft side bags that go on the front of Outlander, they work great and I haven't had a problem with the zipper yet.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.