Author Topic: Old sonar flasher.  (Read 1978 times)

Offline Walleyeking2014

• IceShanty Rookie
Old sonar flasher.
« on: Jul 23, 2014, 06:36 PM »
I have the opportunity to buy a old Micronar Fl-8 for $100 is that a good deal? I am looking for a flasher and found this one it works and everything. It should be very similar to the vexilar Fl-8 right?  Anybody that could help please do. Thanks.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Old sonar flasher.
« Reply #1 on: Jul 23, 2014, 07:39 PM »
If every thing is there and it works well its not a bad deal. How old is the battery?  Its a good starter flasher, simple and easy to use...
One of my first ones was a Si Tex which is very similar and I still have it for my buddys to use... ;D
And you can always offer $80 so you have $20 for a new battery...    ;)
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Walleyeking2014

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jul 23, 2014, 07:50 PM »
Not sure about the battery. It's very similar to the vexilar isn't it besides the lights aren't as bright it's basically the same right?

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Jul 23, 2014, 09:06 PM »
Yup..  Same kind...  ;)

Offline Walleyeking2014

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jul 23, 2014, 09:28 PM »
Thanks i appreciate the help. Would it be worth it to pay an extra $50 for the vexilar Fl-8?
Or $200+ for an 18?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Jul 24, 2014, 06:54 AM »
The older unit ..is nice for a conversation piece ..but if it bites the bullet ...motor/brushes ...not going to be able/worth fixing it . The FL8 is great unit ...if you fish a lot of shallow water less than 15 ft ...get the suppression cable(cuts the power in half ) ..the FL18 ...has a built in low power setting as well a a bottom 6 ft zoom great feature  ....I have had mine 10 plus years ..its practically bullet proof ...Although I don't  know much about the Marcum VX-1 ...my buddy got one toward the end of last season nice unit ...comes with a case has zoom ...he paid $ 260 from Blains Farm and Fleet ...I would go with a "newer " version of a flasher ...unless you have disposable money or that's the best you can afford .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Jul 24, 2014, 07:04 AM »
Thanks i appreciate the help. Would it be worth it to pay an extra $50 for the vexilar Fl-8?
Or $200+ for an 18?

If thats the case I would do like hardwater diehard said and look at the MarCum VX-1.. I also have one of those..  Great unit.. Nice and compact and very easy to use...

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jul 24, 2014, 09:11 AM »
Or $200+ for an 18?

$200 for an 18 is a great deal. They are bullet proof and the age shouldn't matter.
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jul 26, 2014, 06:34 AM »
Like Ship of Fools said. Great unit at any price. Even full price.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Jul 26, 2014, 07:48 PM »
I was reading up on the model you asked about and read on Vexilar's website that they did not make them but they will sell you parts and service them.  Personally I'd opt to spend the extra money and get a new unit because you might end up spending more fixing any issues that come up rather than just buying a new one.  Good luck with which ever unit you decide to buy.

Here's a link to where I found the info on Vexilar's website.

http://vexilar.com/info/wp_super_faq/i-have-a-sitex-micronar-or-hondex-fl-8-is-that-your-product-too/

Offline PRICE COUNTY STRIKE ZONE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Aug 08, 2014, 02:55 PM »
I have an older fl8 and used it for years. Last year i bought a new marcum vx1 and put the Vexilar on the shelf. I ended up using the Vexilar on the last fishing trip of the season when the wife came along. Of corse i gave her the marcum to use and i used the Vexilar. I couldn't believe how blurry the colors were compared to the newer flasher. It works fine and i was use to reading it, but when you use a newer vexilar, marcum, etc,  for a while the older ones pretty much suck.
     Beer: So much more than a breakfast drink.  - Homer Simpson

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.