The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Best flip over ice shanty for the money?  (Read 5939 times)

Offline Walleyeking2014

• IceShanty Rookie
Best flip over ice shanty for the money?
« on: Jul 20, 2014, 10:29 AM »
I am looking to buy a new flip over ice shanty and was wondering what you guys think is the best fir the money. looking for it to be 2-3 man flip over. I wanted to get one on the cheaper side but would it be worth it or should i just spend the money on a nicer one?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Best flip over ice shanty for the money?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 20, 2014, 10:43 AM »
Add your location to your profile ...so members can assist you with regards to average weather conditions you experience .. most of the difference in the models per company is in the material 300,600,900,1200 denier and if the models are insulated ..you've narrowed your search to 2-3 man ...next is weight ...you will be pulling this thing ...loaded ...so if your strong and healthy...not to much of a problem same with a ATV or Sled ...upper left is the search function ....lot of info there ...

this may help   http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=262698.msg2701423#msg2701423
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline twincities86

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Yea buddy
« Reply #2 on: Jul 20, 2014, 10:50 PM »
Spend the extra cash and buy a good shelter that will last. Otter makes really great flip over for 2 or 3 man.  I recently bought a pro xt1200  resort. I took out the 3rd seat and use it for me and the girl with extra room. The pro xt1200 cabin or lodge are great for 2 people. Full thermal, can't beat that.
KCCO

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #3 on: Jul 21, 2014, 05:17 AM »
From a guy that's had a few different models.  Frabil and Otter are generally the best built.  Myself, I definitely like the full insulated models.  Differences are varied and wide - you really need to spend some time looking at the shelters in person and close up.  Fabric, sled construction (depth, width, design, heft) and frame strength and function are all important.
I have a Frabil - top of my list right now; I've had Otter and I have a Shappell that works really good for a lighter weight option that I use when walking.
You need to consider the way you fish as well.  Lots of options out there today - good luck and have fun loking and then enjoy your time on the ice. In comfort.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Aug 05, 2014, 11:06 PM »
I am looking to buy a new flip over ice shanty and was wondering what you guys think is the best fir the money. looking for it to be 2-3 man flip over. I wanted to get one on the cheaper side but would it be worth it or should i just spend the money on a nicer one?

what is the max you are willing to spend. this will help narrow the choices down to certain brands and models.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Aug 09, 2014, 08:44 AM »
I currently own a Clam Nanook, and in my personal experience with it, it isn't built very well. There might be some good flip over shanties from clam, but the one that I have is not something that I would ever purchase again! The pole extending system is not user friendly, the sled is extremely thin, and the seats are not comfortable at all. Also, towing it is rather scary with the flimsy tow hitch and bar that I purchased with it that is mounted to the thin sled.

All in all, I would advise going to another brand.  I've fished out of a frabill predator and that sure was one heck of a nice shanty, and it's definitely more expensive (like 3-400 dollars more than mine), but it seems like it would be well worth it!

Best of luck to you,

CI

Go Beavers!

Offline crappie-attitude

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Lizard Lake Fishing Team
« Reply #6 on: Aug 09, 2014, 09:24 AM »
I have a Frabill Predator and have been very happy with it.   The features that sold me on the Frabill were the size & smoothness of operation of the frame poles,  comfortable seats, quality of the sled and size of this model.    I pull this with an ATV,  certainly not a model to be pulled by hand.   

Frabill's customer service was great when I had a minor issue with one of the seats.   One call and I had a replacement within a couple of days.   

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Chasing anything that swims in the Midwest
« Reply #7 on: Oct 28, 2014, 09:12 AM »
If money is no object, you should have no problem with recommendations. I wanted to buy a "bang for your buck" shack and one that fits my style of run & gun (lightweight), mobile, and one that can be pulled by hand the majority of the time. I landed on the Frabill Trekker II which is one of the lightest 2 man shacks out there and if you're fishing by yourself you can easily remove the 2nd seat and cut more weight.

Offline mickmickl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Oct 29, 2014, 03:53 PM »
i have a clam voyager tcx, the thermal cap is nice but that is about it. the poles suck and are hard to use and do not stay extended. the sled is cheap and flimsy. i would look at frabill or otter.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.