Author Topic: Tecumseh 79cc Discontunied?????  (Read 5336 times)

Offline Scalloper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Eat Scallops
Tecumseh 79cc Discontunied?????
« on: Jul 18, 2014, 02:04 PM »
I bought a slightly used Jiffy Whitlightning model 76 with a 79cc 2 hp Tecumseh engine. The auger in general looks almost new but its got a blown engine. Well, the guy sold it to me for $25 so I figured I would just buy a new short block and have a great auger. I have been told by two dealers that Tecumseh discontinued this engine and we can not even get parts for them. WTH????? So if we buy a Jiffy now they are just a throw away peice of junk? Might as well be made in China....
Anyone know any dealers that may have a engine for this not so old auger? Thanks
______________________ ___

Its a lazy man that cant find his wife a second job

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Tecumseh 79cc Discontunied?????
« Reply #1 on: Jul 18, 2014, 02:35 PM »
I know you can still get "parts" for Tecumseh engines ? Do you have model and serial number for your Tecumseh engine  ... then search Tecumseh ...you'll get list of a lot parts dealers/outlets ...but there going to need the above info ...not certain you will be able to get a short block but may get the bearing, rings etc . Good luck
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #2 on: Jul 18, 2014, 02:42 PM »
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #3 on: Jul 18, 2014, 03:00 PM »
Unfortunately,most ARE made in China now, even Brigg's. (Made in the USA from "Global parts")
I just talked with my friend who has owned a large small engine repair business  for forty years, told him your story, and he said "Nope", "throw it away". No longer available. Said they don't make the large parts like that for anything over about 5 years old anymore, and this old dude knows his stuff. That's the way things are in this "disposable society". Ya, it sucks.  >:(   
You should be able to find an engine for it, though, tons of those were made.  Carb kits available for them, too. Good luck!
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jul 18, 2014, 05:18 PM »
There still should be stock out there... My dealer can get most Tecumseh parts still here in Canada.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #5 on: Jul 18, 2014, 06:30 PM »
www.tecumsehpartstore.com Probably worth a try, but I don't claim to be an expert.  ;)

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Jul 19, 2014, 06:20 AM »
Located this site ...http://www.buchallase.com/pages/OemParts#%2fTecumseh_Power_Company%2fTM049XA-3636D%2fEngine_Parts_List%2fTM049XA-3636D%2fETM049TM049XA3636D-EN   I have very limited experience with Jiffy augers ...I looked up the engine model via jiffy website and determined it was TM049XA-3636D.. so I just searched that and came up with several sites including the one above .

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #7 on: Jul 19, 2014, 09:13 AM »
Looks like $128.54 for a replacement shortblock. :o Don't know that I would spend that much to repair that engine since there are complete augers in good shape to be found for around that price. My 2 hp Jiffy has been going strong for many years.

Offline Scalloper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Eat Scallops
« Reply #8 on: Jul 19, 2014, 09:57 AM »
Thanks a ton guys. The Model number is 3608D-TMO49XA
I am working today but I will check out some of the sites listed here. I have spoken to several Tec repd and they said this model is no longer available. But there still may be some around.
I would spend the $128.54 for a new block just to get this almost new auger up and going again. I know I could get somthing else for the same money but its a shame to discard good equpment

Offline Scalloper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Eat Scallops
« Reply #9 on: Jul 19, 2014, 10:11 AM »
Located this site ...http://www.buchallase.com/pages/OemParts#%2fTecumseh_Power_Company%2fTM049XA-3636D%2fEngine_Parts_List%2fTM049XA-3636D%2fETM049TM049XA3636D-EN   I have very limited experience with Jiffy augers ...I looked up the engine model via jiffy website and determined it was TM049XA-3636D.. so I just searched that and came up with several sites including the one above .

The number I have is close #3608D-TMO49XA or TMO49XA-3608D. I sent a email to this company asking for a complete short block.

Offline Scalloper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Eat Scallops
« Reply #10 on: Jul 19, 2014, 10:12 AM »
Looks like $128.54 for a replacement shortblock. :o Don't know that I would spend that much to repair that engine since there are complete augers in good shape to be found for around that price. My 2 hp Jiffy has been going strong for many years.
I looked on that site yesterday but did not see what I was looking for. Where did you see this one for sale?

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Jul 19, 2014, 10:14 AM »
I know you said the engine was blown ...what exactly do you mean?...my buddy was given Strikemaster TC200 that was blown ...upon taking it apart discovered that the nut that holds the carburetor had loosened and fell /suck  into the cylinder ..removed it ...added a new carburetor  nut a lil rebuild on the carburetor and works fine .

I looked on that site yesterday but did not see what I was looking for. Where did you see this one for sale?

under the parts list it notes engine or short block ...states call them ...most other sites say no item listed or discontinued or unavailable ...worth a dime to give them a shout

http://www.tecumsehpartstore.com/#/Tecumseh_Power_Company/TM049XA-3608D/Engine_Parts_List/TM049XA-3608D/ETM049TM049XA3608D-EN

Offline Scalloper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Eat Scallops
« Reply #12 on: Jul 19, 2014, 10:32 AM »
No compresion and scored cylinder walls. I belive someone may have ran straight gas threw it.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #13 on: Jul 19, 2014, 10:36 AM »
tecumsehpartstore.com.  Used TMO49XA-3636D for the search.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

Offline Scalloper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Eat Scallops
« Reply #15 on: Jul 20, 2014, 07:14 AM »
Ok, its all ordered. $128.54 and $25 for shipping. Not cheep but I should have a great spare auger for about $175

Thanks all for the help. Doug

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Jul 20, 2014, 07:56 AM »
Not a bad overall price ...plus it'll be new ..as long as the rest of it has minimal use and no excess wear and tear ...let us know ...what you get with your short block ...and how you make out with the rebuild .

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Jul 20, 2014, 08:02 AM »
...and don't forget new rings! Glad it worked out.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #18 on: Jul 20, 2014, 09:49 AM »
I think short blocks come with crank, rod and piston installed.  ;)

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #19 on: Jul 20, 2014, 09:58 AM »
I think shirt blocks come with crank, rod and piston installed.  ;)
I was just working on a post to say that very thing when ice dawg beat me to it!!  :flex: You should be able to salvage the externals from the auger to put on your short block! You might need to do a carb rebuild, but you should be good to go otherwise! Make sure you break it in gently and you should get many years use out of it!! Good luck!!! :thumbsup: :icefish:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Jul 20, 2014, 10:34 AM »
Note on the carburetor kits ....make sure its a complete kit ...some are just gaskets with limited or no  internal parts ..you will be  in the same boat , as with the short block, looking for a kit you'll need make ,model  number etc ...and search ...search... search .

Offline Scalloper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Eat Scallops
« Reply #21 on: Jul 20, 2014, 01:44 PM »
Thanks. I will let you know how it works out. I did also buy some new gaskits for the carb, exhaust, new plug and oil.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #22 on: Jul 20, 2014, 01:52 PM »
I hope it purrs like a kitten when ya get her going. Have fun on the ice.

Offline Scalloper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Eat Scallops
« Reply #23 on: Jul 22, 2014, 03:05 PM »
Well, more bad news. When I ordered the new short block on saterday on-line everything seemed to go well. So I ordered all of the needed gaskits to complete the job. Yesterday I noticed the company took out the money and a few hours later they put the money back into my account. So I called today. They no longer stock that motor so they returned my money. The lady said Tecumseh went out of business and they got bought up by another company. She did not know if the new company was going to make this model again. Great, so I have a gaskit kit coming and no motor.

Offline Scalloper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Eat Scallops
« Reply #24 on: Jul 22, 2014, 03:12 PM »
The lady from http://www.tecumsehpartstore.com/ gave me a phone number to call. The guy said "that engine is no longer available" I said "so when you buy a Jiffy and after 2 years the engine blows we should just chuck it like all other chinese junk and buy another one?" he said my only option is to buy another auger.....

Offline Scalloper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Eat Scallops
« Reply #25 on: Jul 22, 2014, 03:17 PM »

They show them on-line but they just told me they dont make any more Tecumseh engines. He said Briggs bought them out...

Offline Scalloper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Eat Scallops
« Reply #26 on: Jul 22, 2014, 03:48 PM »
Ok, round 3. I just spoke to a guy from "Small Engine Warehouse" he said he cannot get anything for that engine, but, the 4 stroke Honda GX25 should be a perfect replacment. http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/GX25.html. So $204 later and we now have a 4 stroke engine for the $25 auger LOL.
If this does work, and this guy says it will, this still should be a cheep like new 4 stroke auger. He also said if it does not work for some reason just send it back for a full refund - shipping of $11

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #27 on: Jul 22, 2014, 05:14 PM »
You are having too much fun for one person. I bought a Strikemaster with a Honda 4 stroke last winter and it has the GX35 engine on it. It has been great for me.

Offline SeisMec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather be fishing!
« Reply #28 on: Jul 22, 2014, 05:30 PM »
Thats a lot of work to get it running but it sounds like it will work out better for you in the end!  Congrats if it works!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #29 on: Jul 22, 2014, 06:40 PM »
IF the direction of rotation is the same, and the clutch/clutch shaft are the same diameter....
Only prob might be the shaft sizing/clutch sleeve/clutch drum diameter. Hopefully it will work for ya....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.