Author Topic: its time to start getting ready for HARD WATER season again  (Read 4186 times)

Offline chummyhole

• Team IceShanty Regular
This time of year all the good deals are on Kijiji.  picked up an ice armor suit for 100 brand new.  got another sled.  scored a nice Yamaha venture 600 tipple for 1400.  oh and a bunch of fenwick rods for cheap.

not its time to weld up an auger rack and a tow bar for my clam.

who else isn't wasting this crapty warm weather getting ready for the ice?

Offline sig

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: its time to start getting ready for HARD WATER season again
« Reply #1 on: Sep 01, 2014, 10:01 AM »
I`m here, just thinking about it.  Heard the long range forcast today,  could be a great winter for ice.
[img width=218 height=80]http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt331/431-s

Offline spudsaway

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Sep 04, 2014, 11:45 AM »
Picked up two nice Vintage rods this summer cleaning them up and will be trying them out this winter..  One is a longer thin one with a spring Bobber attached I will try out on the Crappiie in a small nearby lake. The other is a 70s stiff fiberglass with a big Closed face Diawa 680 I will take a crack at Lakers with.  I have the new stuff I just like giving it a try with the vintage ..  I hope we get the ice we had last year that was great..

Offline 4d277

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Sep 05, 2014, 05:58 PM »
Finally going to get a flasher.  I want to get the Marcum 1 Pro.  Cabelas only sells the 1 without the protective bag and not the Pro.  The next one up would be the 3 they have.  I went in there on three occasions to get the 3, only to be told that you cannot get it yet.  Do all the flashers come in at once and you have to get them right away?  Bass Pro sells the 1 Pro and they don't have them yet either.  With Marcum's LEDs coming out, are these just leftovers and they will be coming out with new ones this year?  I don't want to purchase one now and find out that the new ones come out in November.  Or am I just way too early? 

Offline chummyhole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Sep 18, 2014, 12:08 PM »
I was staring at a massive pile of scrap metal beside my shed and came to concclusion im going to use bed frames to in close my  little trailer i built for my sled.   Its been testing my time manegment skills last couple weeks.  Started playing with tow bar ideas gor my nanook

Offline chummyhole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Sep 19, 2014, 08:31 PM »

Offline gaspumper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Sep 20, 2014, 06:16 PM »
Finally going to get a flasher.  I want to get the Marcum 1 Pro.  Cabelas only sells the 1 without the protective bag and not the Pro.  The next one up would be the 3 they have.  I went in there on three occasions to get the 3, only to be told that you cannot get it yet.  Do all the flashers come in at once and you have to get them right away?  Bass Pro sells the 1 Pro and they don't have them yet either.  With Marcum's LEDs coming out, are these just leftovers and they will be coming out with new ones this year?  I don't want to purchase one now and find out that the new ones come out in November.  Or am I just way too early?
Radio World will have them available mid October for $375.00 according to there site.

Offline tip-uptwo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Sep 23, 2014, 10:34 PM »
I'm ready  ;D
Andrew

Offline chummyhole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Sep 24, 2014, 12:21 PM »
At this rate i should be kinda ready by thanksgiving.    Glued two 1x4 in the bottom of the nanook  last night so i have something to bolt the skis to. Picked up some more 1/4 & 1/8 jigs for deep perchin. 

Im really thinking about ordering the ice fishing inovation rod locker.    Just relized i havent even thought about  an auger mount yet for my sled.  im running out of time.  I had a dream i built a cage over the hood of my  sled like the exo cages you see the racers in qanes quest build.  maybe next summer.  4 projects at a time. 

Offline sig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 02, 2014, 11:31 AM »
Just picked up a copy of the new INFISHERMANS 2015 ICE GUIDE.  Ice Guide,  at my local news stand
ready to settle down for a afternoon of snoozing and reading and dreaming of being back out on the ice.
There is a copy of REEDS catalogue with it,  nice to look at,  not sure if they deliver to Canada.
Cheers guys

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Oct 03, 2014, 10:32 AM »
Just picked up a copy of the new INFISHERMANS 2015 ICE GUIDE.  Ice Guide,  at my local news stand
ready to settle down for a afternoon of snoozing and reading and dreaming of being back out on the ice.
There is a copy of REEDS catalogue with it,  nice to look at,  not sure if they deliver to Canada.
Cheers guys
Good call, the mag should give me some christmas present ideas.  Never ordered from reeds, but have been burned with brokerage and duty charges from US sites so I tend to stay away from them unless they have an upfront brokerage fee like BPS. And with the CDN dollar circling the bowl right now my US orders might have to wait anyway.
I did grab an icesuit from cabelas.ca that I plan on using for cold weather open water and on the ice once the ice gets thick, will stick with my floater suit for early ice though.
@jzuliniak

Offline sig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Oct 03, 2014, 10:59 AM »
I checked put the Reeds site and in the shipping policy they ship by UPS (The Bandits) BIG BIG brokerage fees just not worth it, as you say with the dollar down just use Canadian shops I don`t know what the Sail shop has,  will have to check them out.
Cheers Ron

Offline chummyhole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Oct 04, 2014, 11:18 AM »
Sail in whitby and Vaughn dont have anything out yet just jiggin raps and pimples are out inbthe winter spot.  Bass pro had a couplerods out and they had ttheir ice lure isle started.  Disapointing.  Cabelas didnt have anything out ether.

Buddy heaters are on sale at sail for 99.  Only 20 off.  Might go do the price match at ct. They say they will beet it by 10 percent

Offline Svengalli

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Oct 04, 2014, 11:36 AM »
I checked put the Reeds site and in the shipping policy they ship by UPS (The Bandits) BIG BIG brokerage fees just not worth it, as you say with the dollar down just use Canadian shops I don`t know what the Sail shop has,  will have to check them out.
Cheers Ron

There's such a thing as Canadian Shops??  j/k... sort of.  The biggest problem I have locally is finding what I am looking for, forget the price issue, you can't get half of the items locally.  I agree regarding UPS and I won't use them for over the border, but just have it shipped to the border and go pick it up or have a friend/family do it and mail it to you CP.

I ordered a few things over the winter and when we went on a family trip south this summer I picked them up on my way back north.  No duty and only a $5.00 holding fee from the parcel holding company.  It was a ice fishing suit that on sale was $400+ cdn locally and under $200 on clearance down south.  As well as some quality reels at 60% off.  The dollar dropping is starting to bite but the problem regarding local availability is always present.

Offline chummyhole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Oct 08, 2014, 11:15 AM »
finial got some down hill skis bolted to the bottom on my clam.  i tried a couple different kinds of glue for the 1x4s on the inside.  PL premium is by far better then their competitors.

I was watching some old videos of quans quests the race in Labrador and some of the sled mods are amazing.  I think my venture is getting a hood rack.  sled hoods are wasted real estate would be nice to strap some gear up front.   

Offline DawntoDusk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Oct 10, 2014, 10:00 PM »
Glad too see that I'm not the only one eager to get back on the ice again. Been keeping myself busy making a new sled. Had a rough time pulling mine last winter with all that snow. Hopefully the new one will help deal with it a little better.

Offline 4d277

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Oct 16, 2014, 06:53 PM »
busy got a Marcum lx3tc and just pick up Mr. Heater  the sleds all tuned up bring on the ice!!

Offline sig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Oct 17, 2014, 01:32 PM »
F+W ICE FISHING magazine is out on the news stands in Kingston,  I picked up mine today.
Lots of reading in there plus new gear.

Offline Elrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Oct 17, 2014, 09:42 PM »
I must be missing something, what is f+w... ?  I am done in fisherman ice mag so if there is another i should be looking for i want to know!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Oct 18, 2014, 04:34 AM »
I must be missing something, what is f+w... ?  I am done in fisherman ice mag so if there is another i should be looking for i want to know!

Its the company that publishes a magazine called Ice Fishing ...used to be published twice a year October and then one in January or February ..now just in October...should be on shelves next week ...I find mine a Gander Mtn. 
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Elrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Oct 18, 2014, 07:32 AM »
Thanks hd.  Will have to keep an eye out for it. Anyone happen to know a place that carries it in the toronto area?

Offline chummyhole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Oct 18, 2014, 04:27 PM »
The in fishermen one i got from Wal-Mart the other i grab at chapters.  Great article about fishing deep water for perch which we do lol

Offline Elrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Oct 18, 2014, 05:39 PM »
Grabbed my f+m at the newstand in pickering town center this aft, thanks for the heads up. Did enjoy that deep perch article in if, quite applicable to simcoe. Itching for the ice even though i am also still enjoying my first open water season with a fishing boat.

Offline chummyhole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Oct 20, 2014, 11:31 AM »
got my permi hut all cleaned out.  almost ready to go. just need to finish my flip over and make sure the sled is ready to go.  and the trailer needs a axle.   running out of time.

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Oct 20, 2014, 04:35 PM »
Trailer is ready, bike is next, ;D

Offline chummyhole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Oct 25, 2014, 09:34 PM »
Just got the door and frame on my permi 're built..   PL premium has been holding shantys around here together for years :) spray stained the frame this time should last a while longer lol  just need to check the sleigh for it and shes ready to rock for another year.

Who thinks we'll be fishing by  2nd week of dec.

Offline MotoJoe

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Play Safe
« Reply #26 on: Nov 08, 2014, 03:24 PM »
I think mid of Dec is the time.... I hope! Last night I already dream of fishing in the hut! ;D

Offline RedfishHunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Guy Martin
« Reply #27 on: Nov 08, 2014, 03:46 PM »
We had our first sub zero temp. last night..yes....I am in Rouyn-Noranda, Quebec

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #28 on: Nov 08, 2014, 07:15 PM »
We've had a couple of nights where it dropped to -4 -5 early in the morning just before sun up.  Probably another 6 weeks or so.

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Nov 09, 2014, 02:04 AM »
First snow of the year now falling here.
Covering the grass and vehicles but melting on the roads.
Have not bought anything yet for icefishing but I got this earlier this year.

Should make getting there easier.

Living proof that "beer builds better bellies"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.