Author Topic: Zack Shack  (Read 16893 times)

Offline druthrbfishn

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waitin for the freeze!!
Zack Shack
« on: Jul 12, 2014, 05:38 PM »
I bought a Zack Shack this spring. I only used it once but it is easy to heat and the axle system is very user friendly. You don't get a lot for the money though. I had problems getting my paperwork for the title, the company sent me the wrong VIN #, I finally got it titled after 2 months. One of the lights and the 12 volt outlet didn't work, the connectors were not installed correctly. The light switch was dirty and had rust on it, looked like maybe a recycled toggle switch. I will say the factory tried to help, offered to drive 150 miles to fix it. I fixed it myself. I was disappointed in the quality of work though considering the cost.
 Would I buy a Zack Shack knowing what I know now? The jury is still out, I will know more a year from now.

Offline Eyes R Bitin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Zack Shack
« Reply #1 on: Jul 12, 2014, 06:00 PM »
I could repeat your experience nearly word for word.  Bought mine late season, used it only twice, same issue with connector and switch.  Would I buy it again.  I think I would.  It is user friendly, sets up in just a minute, heats with as little as a lantern, and hauls easy.  I plan on doing some customizing before next season to upgrade lighting an install a direct vent heater.  Will also add some shelving and rod racks and holders.  I expect my wife will be joining me on the ice a lot more this season.  I don't regret the purchase at all.

Offline SeisMec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather be fishing!
« Reply #2 on: Jul 13, 2014, 06:03 PM »
I'm looking at 2 used ones in the local classifies ???  Now I can go and ask some intelligent questions after reading this!

Offline Eyes R Bitin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jul 13, 2014, 07:28 PM »
When I was looking in January I could find no used and only one new in the tree state area.  I had to wait three weeks for the new one to be delivered.  Once season comes I think they will be hard to find.

Offline druthrbfishn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jul 13, 2014, 09:14 PM »
Thanks for the information. Could you post some pictures of how you install the forced air heater with the blown in insulation?

Offline Eyes R Bitin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jul 15, 2014, 10:57 AM »
Haven't done it yet but I'll post pics when I do.

Offline druthrbfishn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jul 16, 2014, 06:38 PM »
Eyes, you mentioned lighting, have you considered rope lights maybe on the bottom of the 2x4 rails?

Offline Eyes R Bitin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jul 17, 2014, 04:20 PM »
Yeah.  I'll be looking for some at ice fishing show in St Paul come December.  I saw some there last year but didn't have the shack then.  I bought a string at the Fargo sports show this spring for it and they turned out to be multicolored and flashed like some late 60s light show.  I think it would attract too much attention on the ice if they were visible through the windows at dusk.  Probably scare the fish away too.  I will be getting some white LED strings for in there for sure.

I think Big Block had some in his ZS that looked pretty good.  See  http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=284363.msg2960844#msg2960844  Post #6.   I liked some other things he did with his too.  Lots of ideas here on IS.

Offline BIG BLOCK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jul 19, 2014, 06:30 PM »
Mine was the first 2014 model when I bought it in 2013 and I have had no problems with it.
I did fancy it up a bit with 6 one foot LED light strips mounted under the bottom rails (1 for each hole), and rod racks in the front. The lights are controlled by rocker switches mounted on the front wall.

Offline BIG BLOCK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jul 19, 2014, 06:53 PM »
Here is a better pic of the switches I used for the lights.

I bought a 6' stair edge gaurd and cut it into 6 one foot pieces to mount the LED lights.

These are the type of lights I used.

Offline druthrbfishn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jul 23, 2014, 06:17 AM »
Big Block, that is a great lighting system. Did you find the switch at an auto parts store?
I think it is a good shack it just needs some bugs worked out. The rear light doesn't work on mine now. It has a loose connection. All the things have been fixable, just annoying that it is necessary to do the repairs on a new shack.

Offline Eyes R Bitin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jul 23, 2014, 07:40 PM »
Hey Big Block.  Where'd you pick up those LED lights?  I can't find them or anything like them around here or on line.

Offline BIG BLOCK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jul 26, 2014, 11:57 AM »
I found the rocker switches on ebay. If I remember correctly I searched for marine switches to find them.
I found the lights in the automotive section at a local hardware store.

Offline crappie-attitude

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Lizard Lake Fishing Team
« Reply #13 on: Jul 26, 2014, 09:27 PM »
What will you be pulling these with on the ice?   Pick-up or ATV?

Offline Eyes R Bitin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jul 27, 2014, 10:55 AM »
Pickup for me.  If it gets to the point the snow is too deep for that, I have a single man flip I pull by hand.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #15 on: Jul 27, 2014, 11:00 AM »
What are Zack Shacks selling for now? I looked at one here in 2005 and they wanted $5,400 and I think it was 6'x10' or12'. They finally sold it for $3,800 to get it off their lot. I may have bought it at that price. It had bunks in the front of it and nothing else. I have only seen one other locally and he pulls it with an ATV. They look like something nice for an old guy like me.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Eyes R Bitin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jul 27, 2014, 07:44 PM »
There's a whole range of prices.  Check them out at   http://www.zachmeiermfg.com/ice-fish-houses-for-sale.html

Offline crappie-attitude

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jul 27, 2014, 08:55 PM »
Although I haven't done lots of research on the Zack Shack,  they certainly look interesting.   I particularly like the wheel mechanism to raise and lower the trailer.   Looks quick and easy.  I understand that what you use to pull this on the ice depends greatly on the amount of snow cover.   With that said,  would an ATV be able to handle a 10' unit in light snow?

sunniewally

« Reply #18 on: Jul 28, 2014, 06:36 PM »
Although I haven't done lots of research on the Zack Shack,  they certainly look interesting.   I particularly like the wheel mechanism to raise and lower the trailer.   Looks quick and easy.  I understand that what you use to pull this on the ice depends greatly on the amount of snow cover.   With that said,  would an ATV be able to handle a 10' unit in light snow?

shouldn't be a problem with light snow. i pull mine with a polaris 2x4 with chains.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Jul 28, 2014, 07:21 PM »
I never heard of Zack Shack before but just checked out their website.  They seem pretty nice but WOW some of the prices for certain options are real steep if you ask me.  I also think for that kind of money the inside should be finished rather than just having exposed spray foam walls.  I know if I spent that kind of money I'd be pretty mad if stuff didn't work or wasn't right.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #20 on: Jul 28, 2014, 08:02 PM »
Lots of those around here...just a lightweight shell foamed in, finish like ya want. Made across the border in NoDak. They are a bit spendy for what ya get, IMO.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline druthrbfishn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jul 28, 2014, 10:03 PM »

It is plain but I can't imagine tromping into and having fish on the floor of some of the very nicely finished ice houses I have seen. I like the idea that I can use it for an enclosed trailer and haul an ATV using the shack for a base camp.  I have pulled mine with my Honda Rancher but I think my Rhino may work better. Some of the fully finished houses look like they could weigh 3,000 lbs.

Offline Eyes R Bitin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jul 29, 2014, 02:27 PM »
Do they have a website?

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #23 on: Jul 29, 2014, 02:56 PM »
Do they have a website?

Yup, here ya go...  :)      http://www.zachmeiermfg.com/

Offline Eyes R Bitin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jul 29, 2014, 04:13 PM »
Thanks Reb.  I was also looking for the website of the one in Iowa that Ice Dawg mentioned that made the fiberglass wheelie.  Kinda off the subject of this thread, not being the Zack Shack, but it sounded interesting. 

Offline Eyes R Bitin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jul 29, 2014, 04:22 PM »
Thanks ID.  Just looked.  Initial reaction is I'll stick with the Zach.  The fiberglass one is much less expensive though. 

sunniewally

« Reply #26 on: Jul 29, 2014, 06:44 PM »
i like the zack shack for its simplicty. no extra added weight just all you need for a good fishing machine. heats easy, will take a beating. easy to set up and easy to move if you want to. my wife and i have spent a week at a time in ours. nothing fancy just a light movable house without needing alot of ice like alot of the big ones.

Offline crappie-attitude

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Aug 08, 2014, 03:14 PM »
Anyone know the weight of a 12' Zack Shack.  I looked on their website but I didn't find the weight.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #28 on: Aug 08, 2014, 06:21 PM »
Anyone know the weight of a 12' Zack Shack.  I looked on their website but I didn't find the weight.

From their site, talking about the 12' Max shack:

As long as it takes you to drill your holes, is how long it takes to set up a Zack Shack®.  Local guides and resorts have figured out that the Zack Shack is the way to go!  You can get the Zack Shack® out quicker, stay out longer, and move quickly to stay on the fish!  Even our biggest shack only weighs 1450 lbs.

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Aug 09, 2014, 01:24 AM »
thee zack shack seem a little over inflated on the prices to me ? seen there web site 6-8k for a shanty
i think is what i read you can custom build your own the way you want it for around 3-4k from a enclosed trailer bought of Craigs list.  like at this link? they got others i am  sure of it, tons of other state have these places.. i am sure it would be better to do it your self then to have some one else do it. because you can put in what you want start to finish.  but of course that why the lavishly rich have those custom car built for them like on tv lol's.  some thing no one else can buy, plain being lazy and rich does not give you the feeling  of accomplishment  when you build your own... true ?

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/fod/4609087737.html

the guy does got great ideas, although i would rather build it my self.

http://www.zachmeiermfg.com/

here is another i found that looks awesome?

http://www.koendersmfg.com/fishing.htm

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.