Author Topic: It's not too far off to be thinking and planning for new gear!  (Read 2148 times)

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
I'm beginning my search for a couple new additions to my rod collection and have also been doing an inventory of my lure boxes. Lost a few of the good producing lures this past season (which turned out to be the season's hot color "go-to's"), and need to add more of them to the selection box - in even bigger sizes.

Going to also add a Micro-vu camera to the sled thanks to my Cabela points! And a few other items Mrs. Wyoutdoors hopefully won't see the UPS driver drop off on the front steps!

What's your top gear needs for the 2014-2015 Ice Season?

- wyoutdoors  :tipup:

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Good luck getting your purchases by the spouse. Possibly tell her the packages are for a neighbor who was not home at time of attempted delivery. Personally I hope to have a flasher for this season ,one more tip down, new reel for one in-line/straight line rod .

Steve

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
I'm looking for a one man flip over for this season. Haven't seen much for sales yet or on my local Craigslist.
My sons are in awe over the Jawjackers, so I'll probably order a few early Christmas gifts once the overtime kicks in again.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
For me I need some new line and jigs.  Maybe another tackle box and thinking about trying the Mickey Mouse boots.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Well I already purchased a Striker Ice Climate suit after the season ended ...really considering the Clam auger plate ...maybe another hard or soft  sided rod case ...do need a reel for my perch/walleye rod for certain...thinking about the Muck Arctic Sport boots .. I did buy a lot of nice equipment last season so mostly small odds and ends ...and of coarse the "new" ..."gota have it gear" always finds it way on my list ...and a pair of old skis for a Smitty sled...made two last year ...what a great "tool" ...made life much easier . Frabill's catalog is out on there website ...I think Clam's comes out in August ... so the wish list is forming now . 
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
hardwater diehard - I picked up a pair of Muck Arctic Pro's a couple of seasons ago and have really enjoyed them. If you want to bombproof your footwear, get yourself a pair of MICROspikes from Kahtoola! Simply the best ice cleats going in my opinion, they just won't "fall off", and I've owned a number of different brands over the years.

Offline Eyes R Bitin

• Team IceShanty Regular
X2  I have to agree with your review!

Offline Eyes R Bitin

• Team IceShanty Regular
I'll be looking for a Lowrance Elite 4 or 5 combo with a good map software on it for this season.  I'll be going to the Ice Fishing Show in St. Paul so hope to get a good deal there in December. 
I'll also need a good ice fishing suit for my better half this year.  She's getting tired of wearing my old set and wants something to wear that doesn't make her look like a guy out on the ice.  I'd better take care of this as she really enjoys ice fishing and I like having her with.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
wyoutdoors ...I picked up a pair last year ....what a back saver ...I do recommend bringing your boots to trial fit them ... got'em for $44 ..I had been eye'n them for some  time ...the Stabilicers l had worked great but. . did a number on my back .Between the upgrades I made in rods and reels ,the Kahtoola spikes and the face lift I gave my 10 + years old Vex FL 18 ( triducer  ,case and digital depth) last years ice season was quite enjoyable ...an added bonus the ice was thick and the fish were very cooperative .. I did purchase a Optronices 3 AAA battery operated green light that I put down a hole just in front of my flip over door.. That could of been the reason.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
ERB ...try Red Rock Wilderness store ...they have womens  floating Striker Ice suits on clearance l believe  https://www.redrockstore.com/index.php/striker-brand-float-clothing-/striker-ice-floating-womens-prism-jacket-3979  I'd call to make sure they have the right size in stock ..their site has been not up to date in the past ...good luck

Offline Lyontyl

• Team IceShanty Regular
- Frabill 361 to replace 261
- I sold my Micro Vu last season which I think was a mistake.  Would like to get another
- anything new an awesome that is announced in next couple months

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
Hardwater Diehard, thanks for the tip about the Red Rocks Store and don't worry I'll never let my Wife know you told me about them.   They have some good deals.  :thumbsup:  I was looking at the Striker Ice Floating Predator bibs and am wondering how they fit.  I'm near the end of one size and beginning of the next bigger one and don't know which way to go.  Another silly question I have is do you wear jeans under them or just a pair of long johns?

Wyoutdoors, Holy cow, you'll never slip with those  MICROspikes.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
- Frabill 361 to replace 261
- I sold my Micro Vu last season which I think was a mistake.  Would like to get another
- anything new an awesome that is announced in next couple months

Curious as to why you let the Micro-vu go?

Offline gsppointer

• IceShanty Rookie
Anybody use the striker ice rod case ? 

Offline brink

• Team IceShanty Regular
I'd love to buy an Otter Cottage for Erie (hopefully it freezes good again this year)
That's some tasty iced tea.

Offline 4426

• Team IceShanty Regular
I just got a lazer auger, 6 tipdowns, but I've been wanting to buy me a pair of boots that I can dedicate to only ice fishing and then putting studs in them so I don't have to use ice cleats, haven't started looking yet though, also want to get a nice jacket, my main goal for this year is to stay warm.

I'd love to buy an Otter Cottage for Erie (hopefully it freezes good again this year)

Ya I hope this happens to, I only went out a few times, but now my friend has a quad that we can take out there a few miles rather than walking, and its closer to me than any other lake.

Offline Sodusitous

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • That hole ain't gonna drill it's self !
Ion 8" for me. Awesome tool. And hand cranking thru 16" of ice got a little old last season .
"More is lost to indecision than wrong decision"

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
Just saw that Gander Mtn. has the Otter Wild T600 on sale for $350....$100 off.

Offline JiggerDan

• Team IceShanty Addict
hand cranking thru 16" of ice got a little old last season .
Amen brother. I was hand cranking through 24" + last season with a mora. Brutal!
Jesus ain't the only one who walks on water!

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Flasher. Think I'm going to spend the money on the lx9 and get the open water ducer.
I am Muskies Inc.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
Amen brother. I was hand cranking through 24" + last season with a mora. Brutal!

That sucks big time.  I was on the graduate program for hole making.  I started out with a spud bar, I swear that was invented by a bunch of Wives who hate ice fishing, then got a hand cranker, a lot better but still sucks when the ice gets over 8 inches thick, and got my gas auger back in 2003, I never knew what happy was until I started using that.  I'd take any gas auger over a hand cranker any day of the week.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Just got a SM Lazer hand auger last year for early ice and non gas motor fisheries ....added a DeWalt 20 volt max ....AWESOME set up ..Lazer is the way to go ...then add power ....used it some last year ...but then "WINTER " hit and the ol' SM 2000 8 in  chipper blade was in play most of the season

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Top 5 Pike:14-5,15-5,15-10,17-0,18-4, 2B cont.
hardwater diehard - I picked up a pair of Muck Arctic Pro's a couple of seasons ago and have really enjoyed them. If you want to bombproof your footwear, get yourself a pair of MICROspikes from Kahtoola! Simply the best ice cleats going in my opinion, they just won't "fall off", and I've owned a number of different brands over the years.

(Image removed from quote.)

Man Wyo those cleats are the bomb! I wear muck boots out there too, so maybe I can get a pair of these that will fit. I have struggled to find cleats that would fit over my over-sized clodhoppers. I just put a pair in my amazon cart. Nice that they have XL, for sizes 14-16, those should fit.

Offline SINX53

• Team IceShanty Addict
Besides upgrading the Otter Canvas, downsizing the Buddy Heater and picking up a few new lures, the big project is building some new ice rods. I have built 7 since the end of the ice season with a plan for 5 more. Out of the 7 I have built I only have 2 to my name since I gave the other 5 to my fishing buddies and my father in law.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Man Wyo those cleats are the bomb! I wear muck boots out there too, so maybe I can get a pair of these that will fit. I have struggled to find cleats that would fit over my over-sized clodhoppers. I just put a pair in my amazon cart. Nice that they have XL, for sizes 14-16, those should fit.

You're going to get a lot of use out of them for many years too! I had some other "name brand" type of slip-on ice cleats, but they were always slipping off to one side of my boots, or actually coming off in deeper snow on the ice. If someone ever comes out with a better ice cleat than the MICROspikes, they're going to be buh-zillionaires is all I can say!

Offline Cfilbert

• Team IceShanty Regular
So far the itch hit me on my 40th birthday starting building a skid house and started to load up on the essentials.  First was an auger extension for my Eskimo shark 8 inch, since last year I was within an inch of not making it through the ice.  Ordered a couple of rod blanks to build my ideal rod tired of  stock ones I have.  I figure I will start spending 50 bucks every two weeks for tackle should be set by Halloween.  Ordered the slush inhaler for this year to see if that's going to be easier or not.  Figure this year I will have around 750 invested by the time ice is thick enough to finally get some of those hard water walleyes, good thing I'm not married lol
Is the ice thick enough yet?

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
Plans for this year are to sell off my old snowmobile that I used for fishing only, a Clam pop-up and a Clam Scout. Then pick up a new Otter XT650. I'd also like to mount up a stand alone GPS on the ATV. Something in 7" I'm thinking.

Also gotta get my 8" White Lightning and 9" Pro into the small engine shop for some work. Or say the hell with it and buy a Propane auger.

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
It's been worse than usual this summer.  It started by trying to build a stained and finished wooden rod box so I can store my custom TB's and other nice rods "properly". I ended up buying a mitre saw, table saw and RA Sander.  I didn't see all that coming when I started the project but the box is done and I really like it even though I probably shoulda made it bigger.  Recently I added a few Symetre's to replace some old Daiwas and I picked up two small fly reels to tryout on Perch and Gills.  A few new jigs and spoons.  Some Pline cx before the rebate ends.  The most recent (and expensive) addition came last week...a Tanaka head for my 6" Nils.  Breaking it in now.  Very excited about the weight that baby will save.  It's remarkable how light that thing is compared to my old Jiffy 30. My summers are usually more about work and this one's no different so I'm always anxious for ice season to roll around. Tight lines all!

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
If you're looking to try out some PK's or want to replenish your box, I just rec'd an email from them!

Hi,

Just wanted to let you know PK Lures is now offering free shipping on all
internet orders through 31 Aug 2014.  Just put in the discount/coupon code
"Free shipping" upon checkout.  Check the website often as we will soon
start offering weekly specials.

Gene Werner
Shipping Director

wyoutdoors  :tipup:

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Thank you for the information on PK lures . I wanted to pick up a couple for the upcoming season.
Steve

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.