Author Topic: Enclosed Trailer or Open Trailer for ATV?  (Read 5617 times)

Offline BooBerry

• IceShanty Rookie
Enclosed Trailer or Open Trailer for ATV?
« on: Jul 02, 2014, 06:52 AM »
Hey guys, got a really good deal on a top of line Honda Rancher this spring and was wondering about hauling it around this winter. I would like an all aluminum enclosed but the prices are up there. I do have an older snowmobile trailer I maybe able to get going again for a year if I can't swing the enclosed trailer this winter. Any input? I do like the all aluminum open trailers because of the versatility with hauling other stuff, junk, wood, etc. What if I would rinse ATV often etc. to combat rust?

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Enclosed Trailer or Open Trailer for ATV?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 02, 2014, 07:46 AM »
I would advise getting a good cover for the ATV if you are going to haul it on snow/salt covered roads in the open. It would be hard to rinse ALL the salt off of it after hauling it.

Another thought about the snowmobile trailer. Make sure you check the frame of it to make sure it is not rusted out from the salt that accumulated on it from hauling it on salted roads over the years.

Offline BooBerry

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jul 02, 2014, 08:56 AM »
 I will scrap snowmobile trailer I would spend a couple hundred getting it road ready. Its in rough shape.

Offline boxcar

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • RETIRED!!
« Reply #3 on: Jul 07, 2014, 07:51 PM »
I hauled mine on a open trailer for one season. I picked up a enclosed and it is the best investment I've made. I can just back it into my yard and leave everything inside. No more unloading!!!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Jul 08, 2014, 03:46 AM »
I'd personally go with the enclosed trailer because you can stick all your stuff in there, lock it, and it stays out of the weather. 

Offline BooBerry

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jul 08, 2014, 05:28 AM »
My intentions were to get an enclosed this year but my wife and I are having our second child and are not having the smoothest of pregnancies so far. All is looking good but the weekly tests, and monitoring is adding up. I look often on Craigslist ETC but used trailers seem to be high priced or poor condition. My eyes are peeled looking for both, enclosed and open. Thanks for the replies..

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #6 on: Jul 08, 2014, 10:40 AM »
BooBerry welcome to Ice Shanty I hope all goes smoothly from here on out with the pregnancy. Just an idea I had maybe try an auto auction  or even police dept.. auction in your area. A friend of mine purchased a boat through a NYS state police auction a few years back the price will depend on how many people are interested and bid on any trailer you would like to own.
Steve

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Jul 09, 2014, 02:42 AM »
Welcome to the site and good luck with your Wife's pregnancy. 

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #8 on: Jul 09, 2014, 11:47 PM »
Welcome to the site and good luck with the wife and new one on the way
Never to many short poles

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #9 on: Jul 10, 2014, 05:27 AM »
Good luck with the new one.  Enjoyable times, for sure.  I do not recommend an open trailer - I did it for two years with a new Yammaha BB 400.  Took more life out that bike in two years than I did in the previous 4.  Bought a 6X12 enclosed and a new PoPo - been great.  Like was said, just back it in the yard and unhitch.  Anything like poles, tipups, electronics, go in the truck and inside with me.
I will never haul my ATV down the winter road on an open trailer again.  I'd leave it home and walk to the fishing spot.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Jul 10, 2014, 05:44 AM »
. What if I would rinse ATV often etc. to combat rust?

Unless you have a heated garage to put it in afterwards to dry it off this is a bad idea...   Everything will be frozen on it....
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #11 on: Jul 10, 2014, 06:00 AM »
I'd personally go with the enclosed trailer because you can stick all your stuff in there, lock it, and it stays out of the weather.

X2
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #12 on: Jul 10, 2014, 07:05 AM »
Another vote for the enclosed trailer. It is really nice to be able to have all your gear loaded and ready to go at a moments notice and your wheeler stays nice and clean.

The trailer will appreciate being hosed off whenever the temps allow  @)

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Jul 16, 2014, 05:55 PM »

enclosed aluminum trailer , with all the salt where I live , learned my lesson on a steal one 

Offline SeisMec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather be fishing!
« Reply #14 on: Jul 16, 2014, 09:05 PM »
I vote Enclosed Trailer, if you lock it up it keeps your stuff from being stolen out of the back of your truck or someone popping your window then taking it. When I lived in MT a guy loaded up his wheeler in his truck the night before so he wouldn't have to do it the next morning. Came out in the morning to find it gone. It was found half the state away a couple of weeks later, partially stripped ,it had about $3500 in missing parts.  The guy that stole it was selling parts off of it on a couple of wheeler websites was how it got "found" by the owner and friends, not the LEO's.

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jul 17, 2014, 01:03 PM »
the enclosed doubles as a shed in the summer for gas, weedwacker etc. i put a rack up front to mount my tow sled as well. the only draw back is parking near the lakes in my area is sometimes limited and the roads are narrow

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jul 17, 2014, 02:30 PM »
Yup, wicked handy all year long. Here is my set-up. I can fit two 4 wheelers in this thing and have tons of space for ice gear I have not even decided I need yet ;D

The F150 Super Crew is nice too, can comfortably fit 5 anglers in it  :tipup:

upload gifs

image upload no size limit

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Jul 17, 2014, 02:42 PM »
Nice set up gentleman ...I'm looking for an enclosed myself ...not as big as yours  ..just enough for a ATV with my shelter rack attached then add hooks and racks/shelving for other gear and storage ...would like a side door ..not certain if I should get a fold down door or a barn door style ...no bigger then a 10 foot . Any you members have 8 ft trailers? How much gear  you able get in your 8 ft ?
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline bean counter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jul 17, 2014, 03:33 PM »
This might be a dumb question, but when you get to the lake, do you unload the ATV, then drop the trailer, then pull the trailer out on the lake with the ATV? 

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jul 18, 2014, 06:11 AM »
This might be a dumb question, but when you get to the lake, do you unload the ATV, then drop the trailer, then pull the trailer out on the lake with the ATV?

Not a dumb question at all. My set up is purely for home to lake transport. The trailer stays hooked on the truck at the launch and I simply offload the wheeler and gear and go.

Some guys have a trailer set up with holes so they can even fish out of the trailer so it pulls double duty as transport and shack.  :tipup:

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jul 18, 2014, 09:01 AM »

seen a trailer on glare ice get towed out a few years ago. wind picked up and the trailer flipped around hitting the side of the truck and then headed out towards open water. not the greatest idea without a little snowpack ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.