The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: lake Jean drawdown  (Read 5060 times)

Offline Perchdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
lake Jean drawdown
« on: Jun 23, 2014, 07:52 AM »
Accordind to the park rangers,Lake Jean will be drained complely starting spring 2015.Also i was told the F&B Comm.will
probably let fisherman keep everything any size and quanity to take as many fish out as possible.Not sure about dates on that.
The F&B may shock and net fish and take them to other lakes.Hope they let the pickerel there.Will post confirmed dates.
They are going to rebuild the cement outlet ?

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: lake Jean drawdown
« Reply #1 on: Jun 23, 2014, 06:36 PM »
Thanks for the info, please keep us posted.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Aug 02, 2014, 08:20 PM »
Well that sucks. Maybe by 2030 it will be decent for fishing again.

Offline Perchdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Aug 24, 2014, 08:06 PM »
I talked to the park manager this weekend and he said there are no limits now for fishing.
They want as many fish as possible harvested.You can keep any specie,any size,no limits on quanity.
They plan to drain it next April and replace the cement control tower next to the dam, they said it has a hole in it and is letting to much water out.
If you have any questions stop in at the office.   

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Aug 24, 2014, 10:49 PM »
Thanks for the update.

Offline Mike Reilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Aug 25, 2014, 04:50 PM »
ashame they have to do this it always one of the first places  to freeze in the state and isnt that bad of fishing after the draw down it will not be as good for quite a while  we had a few real good days there last year catching some nice fish

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Aug 26, 2014, 07:36 AM »
GOULDSBORO IS STILL ON THE MEND ,AFTER HOW MANY YEARS NOW.
lOWER WOODS WAS STILL EMPTY THE LAST TIME I WAS THERE ALSO.
THEY TAKE MORE AND MORE OFF US.
STOCK LESS AND LESS TROUT.
BUT WANT MORE MONEY FROM US THE FISHERMEN.
THE SAME GOES WITH HUNTING.
THE GAME COMISS. USE TO STOCK LOTS OF BIRDS.
NOW ITS DOWN TO A HAND FULL,YET HUNTING LIC.ARE THE SAME.

I DONT TROUT FISH PA.OTHER THAN THE FIRST DAY AND THATS A PARTY NOT MUCH FISHIN GETS DONE IF ANY.I FISH TROUT IN NY.THEY HAVE GREAT TROUT FISHERIES,AND IT ONLY COST ME $50.00 FOR A NON RES.LIC.ITS GOOD FOR 365 DAYS FROM THE DAY YOU PURCHASE IT.THATS THE WAY IT SHOULD BE IN PA.PA GETS YOU COMMING AND GOING.
AND I DONT HUNT PHEASANTS.
nOW YOU HAVE TO BUY A MIGRATORY BIRD STAMP TO HUNT DOVE.W.T.F.
WHAT DOSE THE GAME COMMISION DO TO HELP ANYTHING WITH DOVES??????
DOVE HUNTING USE TO BE A TRADITION TO US LIKE OPENING DAY OF TROUT.
PRETTY SOON YOULL HAVE TO BUY A STAMP TO URINATE IN THE WOODS AND ,I BET THEY WILL BE A WARDEN BEHIND EVERY TREE.
ITS JUST AN OBSEVATION I HAVE MADE OVER MY 51 YEARS ON THIS PLANET.
IT GETS WORST EVERY YEAR.NEVER BETTER.SORRY I GOT OFF ON A RANT ABOUT THIS BUT,PA. WAS A GREAT STATE FOR THE OUTDOORS MEN YEARS AGO.I THINK IT S**kS NOW.I DO A LOT OF FISHING IN NY. AND I THINK IM GOING TO START HUNTING THERE ALSO.
GOOD LUCK GUYS,AGAIN SORRY ABOUT THE RANT...... :)

Offline Nam 69

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Never Forget Them! All Gave Some but Some Gave ALL
« Reply #7 on: Aug 27, 2014, 02:53 PM »
No problem with the rant, its all true.

Offline Nam 69

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Never Forget Them! All Gave Some but Some Gave ALL
« Reply #8 on: Aug 27, 2014, 02:56 PM »
I never been to Jean, maybe I will go up with my metal detector when they drain it

Offline eyefishermandt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • CAPTAIN OF THE F.O.P. ICE FISHING TEAM.
« Reply #9 on: Aug 27, 2014, 03:25 PM »
Guess its time to go drain the lake of the fish boys. Rather restock them in ponds but i dont mind filling my freezer either. And to the guy on here that always had a problem with me keeping the huge perch outta here karmas a b***h lol. Time to go fishin boys!!!!!!
DONALD T WITMER III                                 Pro staff for Catch em all custom jigs, ACE custom rods, Contraband baits, Bonehead Tackle, Rhyno custom jigs,  And Expedition outdoors!

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • one of my future ice buddies
« Reply #10 on: Aug 27, 2014, 05:05 PM »
I guess the lakes perch fishing was gonna get destroyed either way.  Cant depend on the state to do anything to maintain a good fishery. 

Bet this lake will never fish the same or atleast anytime in the near future.

It will take atleast 10 yrs or more for any sort of quality fish to take hold.

Beck it took atleast 5 or more years for the fish to bounce back from the acid problem and that was not even a complete kill

RGIII keeps a bench mighty warm

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • one of my future ice buddies
« Reply #11 on: Aug 27, 2014, 05:08 PM »
Guess its time to go drain the lake of the fish boys. Rather restock them in ponds but i dont mind filling my freezer either. And to the guy on here that always had a problem with me keeping the huge perch outta here karmas a b***h lol. Time to go fishin boys!!!!!!

You would of tried even if they weren't gonna drain it.

RGIII keeps a bench mighty warm

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Aug 28, 2014, 12:25 AM »
Chez, no "pee stamp" yet but I am sure federal, state or local gooberment has some kind of special law or regulation on it. They are trying to get people to buy a pass or whatever they call it so non hunting license holders can walk, hike or stand and etc on game lands. Show me the money......

The PFBC sure has a lot to learn about managing fisheries IMO.

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Aug 28, 2014, 07:26 AM »
Chez, no "pee stamp" yet but I am sure federal, state or local gooberment has some kind of special law or regulation on it. They are trying to get people to buy a pass or whatever they call it so non hunting license holders can walk, hike or stand and etc on game lands. Show me the money......

The PFBC sure has a lot to learn about managing fisheries IMO.

iM WITH YOU DKFRY.
I love to ride my quads and so do my boys,pretty much everyone out there that has a quad or dirtbike ,dont have many places to ride.I always thought it would be a great idea to make some dedicated trail roads on state game lands,that you would be able to ride a few months of the year.They allow it for the snowmobils.They ride them trails for free.I think most guys wouldnt even mind paying some kind of fee to ride on the game lands.It would generate money for the PFGC.But you know what,{THAT WOULD MAKE SENSE} ;)LOL.Fees for everything.Pretty soon we will have to pay to launch our boats on public launches.I see it comming Brother.They will be a stamp for every small game animal right down to a CHIPMONK.The future is grim my friend.

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Aug 28, 2014, 07:34 AM »
I guess the lakes perch fishing was gonna get destroyed either way.  Cant depend on the state to do anything to maintain a good fishery. 

Bet this lake will never fish the same or atleast anytime in the near future.

It will take atleast 10 yrs or more for any sort of quality fish to take hold.

Beck it took atleast 5 or more years for the fish to bounce back from the acid problem and that was not even a complete kill

Jiggerman;i remember back 25 years ago the perch fishing was untouchable on LAKE JEAN.The pech were all decent sizes and plentyful.My dad would only let us take 10 home on any icefishing trip when we were younger.It was a icefishermans perch dream.Then they LIMED it for some reason and shot the Perch in the a**.It never fully recovered from that.Now THIS.!!!!!
Gouldsboro was an other perfect example.Was a great Perch fishery and,bass.They drained it ,let it lay 5 or 6 years, maybe longer.{{I can remember hunting crows on the middle of the lake where i onced fished on the water}}They refilled it a few years back and,you cant catch a decent perch to save your life.I will say the Bass are growing nice and,i have caught a few decent callico.
Lower woods is in the same mess as GOULDSBORO was in..It sucks MAN :'(

Offline Mike Reilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Aug 28, 2014, 05:39 PM »
i agree chez its not going to be the same for along time if ever what a shame like i said above one of the first places to freeze and last to be on. Going to suck

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Aug 28, 2014, 06:58 PM »
Brother you can pm me anytime and ill get you on early ice in wayne county.The lakes up there freeze early also.Feel free to pm me when the time comes.

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Aug 29, 2014, 07:26 AM »
THE BIG O SOUNDS GREAT TO ME BUDDY.LOTTS OF EYES AND NO BULLcrap.
GOTTA DO A FEW TRIPPS.GUNNA HIT IT IN NOVEMBER FOR EYES OFF SHORE ALSO.AS ALWAYS YOUR INVITED WE,LL MAKE A PLAN.STAY IN TOUCH.

Offline TIME2FISH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Aug 30, 2014, 01:34 PM »
Fish Commission news release on Lake Jean:

The Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission (PFBC) announced today that it has temporarily lifted all seasons, sizes and creel limits on Lake Jean in Northeastern Pennsylvania in anticipation of the lake being fully drained next spring by the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources (DCNR). The 245-acre lake is part of Ricketts Glen State Park.

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/newsreleases/2014press/lake-jean-ricketts-glen.html

"Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter." - Mark Twain

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Sep 01, 2014, 07:04 PM »
Chez, you hit the nail right on the head.  A tag for this, tag for that, a tag to get a damn tag.  It's sickening to say the absolute least.  I remember when I started hunting you'd see 20 or 30 deer a day and you could only shoot one, the way it should be if you ask me.  Another thing is Doe season was 3 days not this one or two week crap.  Now the Game Commission, what a joke, has the audacity to say the deer hunting is still good and there's great big bucks out there.  Yeah maybe there are some big bucks out there but there sure isn't a heck of a lot of Does.  Thanks to Gary Alt and the Game Commission our deer hunting sucks big time and don't even think about trying for a pheasant in the Northeast.  In Lackawanna County they stock one place, Lackawanna State Park and that's a joke.  They cry they have no money but where does all the money from the hunting licenses, elk drawing, and doe tags go not to mention the million dollar plus gas lease they signed?  Back when I started hunting you could get three pheasants a day and didn't have much trouble getting them, now you can walk all day and not even see one.  Pathetic!  And then there's the penalties if someone breaks one of their laws.  Now don't get me wrong if you break the law you should pay the price but the problem I have with the penalties are the severity of them.  I don't think a guy who shoots a few more deer or what ever should be facing more time than a child molester or a dope fiend.  That is crazy in my book but we have Eddie Stayback and his self-important know it all buddies in Harrisburg for that one. 

The Fish Commission isn't much better, they stock trout but what else do they do?  Sure they have some boat launches but once they're built that's the end of their spending on them.  Heck last year some of them weren't plowed out until people who wanted to fish plowed them out themselves.  I bet they'd find a way to fine the people who plowed them out if they ever saw someone doing it.  The only good thing is you can fish every day of the year.  My Dad has said for years that Pennsylvania is the a**hole of the country and the more I see the more I agree.  It just comes down to give us more and more of your money and be happy with what we do for you which isn't a heck of a lot.  Gary Alt, the Game Commission, and the Fish Commission should all burn in hell for what they're doing to our outdoors and run them into the pitiful state they're in.

Sorry guys but this stuff really burns me up.

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Sep 02, 2014, 08:24 AM »
THANKS for AGREEING wit me CHRIS,I bet THERE THOUSANDS OUT THERE THAT AGREE WITH US ALSO.  :)                                                                                       The fish Commission is a pack of money hungry pigs.KAYAKS got popular BIG TIME the last few years.What do they DO[[[THE FISH and BOAT COMMISION}}} you need a LAUNCH PERMITT  for your KAYAK now.So if you want to use any state lake or public launch on the river, you need to have your KAYAK PERMIT.When they werent popular no permit was needed.Everyone starts useing them ,,,THEY SEE an OPPERTUNITY to make money off the poor outdoorsman.THEY S**K!!!!!!! The average guy like myself has to save for months to get a KAYAK and pow ,now that you got it you need to give the {{{PA FISH and BOAT another $18.00}}}.I feel i am paying my dues for the launches with my boat registrations every year.I own 3 boats in pa that i pay every 2 years on.I think thats enough.Now we have KAYAKS and have to pay more.It dont make since.They get us comming and going.WE use to love to hunt the first day of DOVE witch was yesterday.Screw that.Now you need a MIGRATORY bird STAMP.WE havent gone since that went into efect.WHY isnt a duck stamp enpugh?THEIR MONEY HUNGY SLOBBS.It aint the $3.00 for the stamp im b***hing about.Its they charge us for everything.They did more for us in the old days for less money.It makes me wanna puke.I fish alot in NY.Im gunna start hunting there also.At least you can hunt sundays.They will pass sunday hunting here in pa soon but it will cost your left N*T,for the permit. >:( >:( >:(

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Sep 02, 2014, 09:20 AM »
I always thought it would be a great idea to make some dedicated trail roads on state game lands,that you would be able to ride a few months of the year.They allow it for the snowmobils.They ride them trails for free.

er, um, dude, no. Snowmobiles are not allowed on SGL. Never were, and I hope, never will be. Snowmobiles are allowed on some State Forest land on specific trails and quads are usually allowed on the same trails during the warm weather months. State Game lands are managed very differently than the SF. The SGL is much more fragile and would be trashed pretty quickly by quads going off road.

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Sep 02, 2014, 10:31 AM »
Your absolutly Wrong.Tannery Road is a state forest that turns into state game lands in THORNHURST pa.I cant think of the number.The snow mobiles are allowed on that stretch for sure ,also Pittston Rd in suscon. PA.Wich is also game lands.The strech of game lands in the Frytown area is also where they are allowed.They put up a sign when its allowed.I  have lived in this area most of my  51 years.They also run the dog sleds on these roads.I never seen where Quads were allowed on any of these properties,or any other gamelands ,AS YOU SAID.witch i think they should be allowed on regulated trails.

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Sep 02, 2014, 10:45 AM »

I hate to prove some one wrong but this post can tell you where snowmobiles are allowed on gamelands in Pa.I have lived practally next to them my whole life.Check it out.They have special trails like i said when you tried to prove me wrong.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Sep 02, 2014, 10:46 AM »
From the PA DCNR web site.

------------------

Designated ATV trails on State Forest lands are open from the Friday before Memorial Day through the last full weekend in September. Some ATV trails reopen for winter use in conjunction with the snowmobile season from the day following the last day of the regular or extended deer season through April 1, conditions permitting. Check with the District Forester to be sure that winter use is permitted. The trail also may be open to snowmobiles.

Only Class I ATVs may be operated on State Forest trails designated for ATV use. Class II ATVs may be operated on State Forest land ONLY if the trail is specifically posted open to Class II ATVs of a particular width and weight.

State Forest roads are NOT open to ATVs.

State Parks and State Game Lands are NOT open to ATVs.

---------------------------------

No motorized vehicles on PA SGL.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Sep 02, 2014, 11:03 AM »
ok, yup, you're right. There are a few trails that allow snowmobiles. Never knew about them. In general though, there are no motor vehicles on SGL.

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Sep 02, 2014, 12:44 PM »
[[er,um dude,]]There are more than a few buddy.I thought i was going nutts when you made the coment that i was wrong.I ve seen it for years with the snow mobiles.As far as motor vehicles allowed.I drive my thrucks threw gamelands and state forest all the time.Pittston road has miles of roads you can drive on, so dose Tannery road.Who ever told you cant drive on game lands is very wrong.Check it out buddy.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Sep 02, 2014, 02:00 PM »
dude, you know I would neeevvver say you was wrong... mistaken maybe, but never wrong ;)

I know you can drive in on access roads but I didn't know about the snowmobile trails on specific game lands. I got schooled. happens. I always thought there was no motorized vehicles allowed at all on SGL.

Offline Perchdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Sep 02, 2014, 04:25 PM »
What does all this have to do with the lake Jean drawdown ????

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Sep 02, 2014, 05:44 PM »
This is just too funny but don't worry Chez you're right not wrong or mistaken.   :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.