The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Little baby Bomo Smelt  (Read 937 times)

Offline S.Fontinalis

• IceShanty Rookie
Little baby Bomo Smelt
« on: Jun 18, 2014, 04:49 AM »
I have been seeing a lot of little bait fish in Bomoseen. My son netted some the other day and they are tiny little smelt. Good news.

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Little baby Bomo Smelt
« Reply #1 on: Jun 20, 2014, 08:21 PM »
That's cool. Hope they grow up to be as big as the ones Joe put me on this past hardwater season...never caught smelt like them...Master Angler sized!

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Love IceFishing for SMELT,PERCH,BLUEGILLS,CRAPPIE,
« Reply #2 on: Aug 12, 2014, 12:59 PM »
That's cool. Hope they grow up to be as big as the ones Joe put me on this past hardwater season...never caught smelt like them...Master Angler sized!

Rick.. hows the summer been? the smelt that were caught last year were first year run smelt, thats why they were so big :woot:.. i am sure they will be some big ones caught next year but maybe not as many, you should start to see a cycle of about every four years of bigger smelt being caught. Its good to hear that the smelt are reproducing and i hope see a Healthy population for years to come.
I do all types of fishing; but I am Die hard Ice angler.
I love Ice Fishing the lakes of Rutland County. Recently moved to NY and now will be Ice fishing the Lakes Of New York.

Offline troutcrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Aug 16, 2014, 09:27 AM »
That's good news.  Sad that they're so hard to find in Champlain these days.

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Sep 03, 2014, 07:30 PM »
Rick.. hows the summer been? the smelt that were caught last year were first year run smelt, thats why they were so big :woot:.. i am sure they will be some big ones caught next year but maybe not as many, you should start to see a cycle of about every four years of bigger smelt being caught. Its good to hear that the smelt are reproducing and i hope see a Healthy population for years to come.
Too much work, not enough fishing!

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #5 on: Sep 04, 2014, 09:25 AM »
That's good news.  Sad that they're so hard to find in Champlain these days.

That is going to get worse, I am afraid.

The spiny water flea has made its way into Lake Champlain. Here is some good reading on this invasive species:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bythotrephes_longimanus

We need to get the word out to all ice anglers that fish various bodies of water to clean their gear after use in Lake Champlain before they drop it in another body of water.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.