Author Topic: 9:45 on a Tuesday..  (Read 1621672 times)

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: 9:45 on a Tuesday..
« Reply #1890 on: May 21, 2015, 06:11 AM »
Morning all. Had 34 here. Must have been "cold" up in the hills. I remember paydays; its been awhile. Think I will run down to the shop and pick up a dozen and go see what the walleyes are doing before the weekend starts. Saving yard and garden for then....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1891 on: May 21, 2015, 07:19 AM »
Just got back from the boat ramp. They came to plant the fish the assn. bought to try and get fish numbers built back up after the huge winter kill in 2014. They said that yesterday morning when they were loading the truck their fingers were freezing to the aluminum at the hatchery in Grant, Michigan. Grant is in a lowland area with mostly muck farms.

RAQ  I know about round up as I have used it some on my food plots. I thought I had the garden pretty well cleaned up last year but two types of weeds are totally out of control now. 24D has not worked worth a darn for me.  NO way am I going to spend the summer rototilling to get rid of them as the back is getting worse. I do not plan on putting grass seed down until early fall.

mr clean I learned when my kids were in track that you never put  away the Carharts until after track season. I have never seen a lacrosse game or what ever you call them but it sounds like you need to bring the Carharts.

I about have the toon ready to launch but I might just wait till after Memorial day to put it in the water. 

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #1892 on: May 21, 2015, 02:09 PM »
Hope everyone has a safe and relaxing Memorial Day weekend  :tipup:

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1893 on: May 21, 2015, 04:33 PM »
Right back at ya Lavman..  But I will be working..    :P  Very busy weekend for us...   :-\
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1894 on: May 21, 2015, 05:58 PM »
RAQ  I know about round up as I have used it some on my food plots. I thought I had the garden pretty well cleaned up last year but two types of weeds are totally out of control now. 24D has not worked worth a darn for me.  NO way am I going to spend the summer rototilling to get rid of them as the back is getting worse. I do not plan on putting grass seed down until early fall.

Try a little white vinegar on a couple spots..  I have used and some times it works sometimes not....

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1895 on: May 21, 2015, 06:29 PM »
Or wet the weeds and put salt on the wet plant... ;D

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #1896 on: May 22, 2015, 03:22 AM »
Morning Boys,
It's Friday! 47* here this am, high of 63 expected with 20-25mph winds again and a frost advisory for later tonight. Well, they lifted the burn ban yesterday so at least all the campers will be able to have a campfire this weekend without getting fined...looking forward to getting rid of a bunch of downed limbs and roasting a few marshmallow's with the grand kids this weekend as well.

Iceshanty Users Online
    1 Guest, 2 Users (0 Buddies)
masoneddie, timberdoodle

Cawfee's brewing...cinnamon buns on the counter, help yourself.
Hope everyone has a great day and looking forward to the 3 day weekend! Be safe guys! 
Raquette....The maintenance guys where I work told me they use a lemon juice and vinegar concoction for the weeds around the Empire State Plaza...mostly they were spraying it for weeds growing out of the paver bricks.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1897 on: May 22, 2015, 03:49 AM »
Morning Eddie..
Good morning rest of the ER's..  38* out there..  There saying we might get down into the upper 20's tonight... :o   Sure hope this is the end of it...   :P
I have a long day ahead.. 
I hope everyone has a good one.... ;D

Raquettedacker, budwinslow, masoneddie

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1898 on: May 22, 2015, 05:04 AM »
Good Morning Eddie,Raquettedacker. Good Morning everyone! :bow:

A high of 72 with light winds today, it should be near perfect.

Yesterday we wrapped the townhome job up and today I am going to spend the day working around home. I have a little wood to cut up and split that I am giving to my neighbor. I am planning on getting my boat out of storage and getting it ready for the upcoming musky season should I get time to go.

I also have a guy coming to check out my gas water heater which isn’t putting out enough hot water. I told my wife if she was quicker and there would be more than enough hot water for her to shower, yep that was the wrong thing to say
I tried to narrow the window down on when the guy was coming and he said between noon and 5:30. Gee I hate when that’s all the closer they can guess.

Take care and stay safe!

WS

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #1899 on: May 22, 2015, 05:51 AM »

Good morning Eddie, Dom, WS, Good morning ER's,
                 49* here on my hill, I hope they're wrong about the 20* tonight Dom.
                 Things are kind of quiet around here, I want to put my vegetables in the ground but I'm going to wait another day or so.
                 I hope everyone has a great weekend, and am sorry for those who have to work.

IW

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1900 on: May 22, 2015, 06:30 AM »
Happy Friday. 40 this morning and saying upper 20's for tonight. Glad my garden isn't in yet. Cold and DRY are not good. We can use some rain. Got 3 walleyes yesterday, but had to work my tail off for them. Jigs 27 to 31 feet. Water temp is back down in the upper 50's and it was quite windy. Saw one other boat and they were running downriggers and had 1 fish. Never bothered me to work holidays. I worked 10 days on, 4 days off for years, if I was off ended up with a 5 or 6 day vacation.....Everyone have a good weekend....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1901 on: May 22, 2015, 06:49 AM »
Warm 37* again this morning. It's headed your way Raq.

We still have a full moon to get through before the frost danger will probably be gone. That is some time next week I think.

If I used salt to kill the weeds I would not have to worry about growing any grass. I do not know where they came from all of a sudden but the garden is solid weeds. I do have most of a 50 lb. bag of salt around that some idiot bought to deice the walks at the assn. pavilion. I thought it was rod salt and had to use some to deice for a winter meeting. It took for ever to get it off the floor inside.

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1902 on: May 22, 2015, 08:08 PM »
Frost freeze warning again tonight. A ways to go as it is 61* at 9 pm.

Fireworks are starting. Sun just went down. come on Tuesday.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1903 on: May 22, 2015, 08:42 PM »
 Freeze warning here also Tom..  Already down to 38* now... Should hit 20's by morning...
I hope this is the last of it.. I really want to plant my garden.... >:( >:(
Last year was my first year doing raised beds and boy do I like it..  Last year I made 5 of them 4' x 8' , 10" high..  Liked it so much I just made 4 more and still have room for 3 more... ;D ;D
After work tomorrow I have go over to the guy who raises sheep and get 3 or 4 truck loads of sheep sh poop...    ;D  Hes happy to just give it away and he loads it with his skidsteer... @) @)

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1904 on: May 23, 2015, 04:00 AM »
Morning...
Well its 28* right now wonder how the plants did...
Its going to be a long day so I cant stay long..
Everyone have a great day...
1 Guest, 2 Users (0 Buddies)
Raquettedacker, Perchfever99

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1905 on: May 23, 2015, 04:30 AM »
Good Morning Raquette, Morning Guys,
30* here this am, high of 62 expected. The Mrs. covered a bunch of her plants last night with sheets and a few 5 gallon pails over others. I hope this is the last of the crazy weather as well.
Pretty laid back day today for me. Looking at a side job for a friends daughter at 9:30 and then mowing the lawn, a trip to the transfer station, and burning up some brush if the winds aren't bad.
Hope everyone enjoys their day!

Iceshanty Users Online
    1 Guest, 4 Users (0 Buddies)
masoneddie, Raquettedacker, IFH, NorthWoods Harry

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #1906 on: May 23, 2015, 05:12 AM »
Good Morning fellow night owls and early risers a good and safe Memorial Day weekend to all of you. Please take a moment this weekend to remember and give thanks to all our military service personal who allow us to live the lifestyles we all take for granted at times.

There were overnight frost warnings for my area also, parts of the Catskill mountains had freeze warnings. I attended the NY.public high school section 9 lacrosse championships last night .The two teams I was rooting for both lost their respective games. I followed Tom Turkey's advice and wore a pair of flannel lined Carhartt jeans to the 8pm game along with my Ice Armor fleece jacket with wind proof lining and heavy weight polypro. liner gloves. Our day time high Temp. on Friday was 80 by the time the 8 pm game ended at 10:30 pm temperature was down to 52 degrees. Tom Turkey if you would like to see some lacrosse on television check the ESPN networks today and on Memorial Day the men's Division 1 college semifinal games are today and the championship game on Monday. Lacrosse is North America's original team sport developed by Eastern native American tribes some five hundred years ago. The modern game has elements of basketball,soccer and ice hockey contained within its' play. At the top levels with highly skilled players it can be a very fast paced game.

Well today is the last day of my vacation week Sunday it is back to the job.
Steve

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #1907 on: May 23, 2015, 05:29 AM »

Good morning Dom, Steve Eddie Good morning ER's, 
                 33* here on my hill no frost in sight, I had everything covered. I'm with everyone else that wants this crazy weather to stop,
        so we can get in the summer mode.
                 I along with Steve in wishing a good and safe holiday weekend, and as a veteran, I we can take time out to remember all that
        gave so much so we can do the things we enjoy most.

IW

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1908 on: May 23, 2015, 06:34 AM »
Good morning everyone! :bow:

I got up this morning and headed out getting a few things done for a BBQ we are having this afternoon. I was putting some chairs around the fire pit and remembered I hadn't checked in yet.

Sounds like today will be another beauty and then the shoe drops. Tomorrow and Monday will be a total wash, will have to dig out the board games ???

Everyone enjoy the long weekend and stay safe!

WS

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1909 on: May 23, 2015, 06:48 AM »
Morning all. 30 this morning. The lake had to cool off overnight. It was 59 on Thursday. I bet the campers put a dent in the firewood last night. Sounds like Eddie and I have the same day planned. Transfer station, mow yawn, etc. May get garden in this weekend if the weatherman allows it.....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1910 on: May 23, 2015, 07:03 AM »
No frost here. Only got to 39*.

mr. clean When I was working along the Lake Michgan shore line I always felt foolish when I came the 15 miles into town in my Carharts and every one in town was in shorts and t shirts.

Every one says it is Memorial weekend so why is it freezing. Since we got away from the traditional Memorial Day so we could have a 3 day holiday, this is the earliest that it can be. The real holiday should be a week from today, the 30th, so lets see what a week will do to the temperatures. I never  planted my garden until the 30th and missed frost most years.

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #1911 on: May 23, 2015, 07:29 AM »
No frost here. Only got to 39*.

mr. clean When I was working along the Lake Michgan shore line I always felt foolish when I came the 15 miles into town in my Carharts and every one in town was in shorts and t shirts.

Every one says it is Memorial weekend so why is it freezing. Since we got away from the traditional Memorial Day so we could have a 3 day holiday, this is the earliest that it can be. The real holiday should be a week from today, the 30th, so lets see what a week will do to the temperatures. I never  planted my garden until the 30th and missed frost most years.
             Memorial Day has always been the last Monday in May or the last full  weekend in May, since the 31st is next Sunday, then this
             is the rightful weekend. I know we remember it to be closer to the 30th, it is earlier than we are used too.  Our rule of thumb here
             is also to plant our garden around the 30th, every year we tend to push the envelope and put it in earlier.

IW

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1912 on: May 23, 2015, 08:39 AM »
I am sorry but it originally was the 30th of May every year when I was young. It was changed to the system it is now to get a 3 day holiday week end. It was all about money made with a 3 day weekend. Ask any OLD veteran you know and they will be able to tell you.

They tried to do the same with the 4th of July but got to much flack on changing it that they abandoned that idea.

Edit to add
Here a is a copy and paste from what I found by bing searching "traditional Memorial day" Note the  use of restoration and restore to May 30th.

On 17 of March 1989 Senator Inouye [HI] introduced a bill to the Senate which called for the restoration of the traditional day of observance of Memorial Day back to May 30th. Every new Congress since then (every two years), Mr. Inouye has faithfully re-introduced the bill. Several times a companion bill was introduced to the House.

As eloquently stated by Mr. Inouye in his introductory remarks to the bill he introduced in 1999:

"Mr. President, in our effort to accommodate many Americans by making the last Monday in May, Memorial Day, we have lost sight of the significance of this day to our nation. Instead of using Memorial Day as a time to honor and reflect on the sacrifices made by Americans in combat, many Americans use the day as a celebration of the beginning of summer. My bill would restore Memorial Day to May 30 and authorize our flag to fly at half mast on that day. In addition, this legislation would authorize the President to issue a proclamation designating Memorial Day and Veterans Day as days for prayer and ceremonies honoring American veterans. This legislation would help restore the recognition our veterans deserve for the sacrifices they have made on behalf of our nation." (1999 Congressional Record, page S621)

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #1913 on: May 23, 2015, 08:48 AM »
I am sorry but it originally was the 30th of May every year when I was young. It was changed to the system it is now to get a 3 day holiday week end. Ask any OLD veteran you know and they will be able to tell you.

They tried to do the same with the 4th of July but got to much flack on changing it that they abandoned that idea.
            I stand corrected, I looked it up on Wikipedia and it never mentioned it, I found another site that confirmed your knowledge.
            Thanks for letting me know.

IW

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #1914 on: May 24, 2015, 04:22 AM »

Good morning ER's,

0 Guest, 1 User (0 Buddies)
                    ICE WANDERER
              I'm lonely here this morning, I'm sure by the time I finish this post someone will be on.
              It's warmed up here on my hill since yesterday morning, 47*, it looks to be another nice day, I hope everyone is
       enjoying their weekend. Have a great day.

IW

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1915 on: May 24, 2015, 05:33 AM »
Good Morning IW, Morning ER's :bow:

As promised the rain is moving in. Looks like an indoor day or at least inside a vehicle day. We may take a ride up north to our shack and see what's going on. Other than that no plans, which in itself feels excellent.

Have a Great day everyone, and stay safe!

WS

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1916 on: May 24, 2015, 05:46 AM »
Morning WS and Jeff..
Been here for 45 mins trying to log on..  Never had to do that since I joined the site..
Well this should be our last really busy day for a while at work..   Yesterday at both of our locations there was no place to park..  We were short handed by one person but we managed..
Good thing we have another 2000 hanging baskets started and will plant another 2000 this week the green houses look empty...
We have also been repairing our mum fields because we start planting them in a couple weeks....   The bulk of them, around 6000 will be planted in 10" pots and put on the water dripping system in the mum fields...
It was 43* going up to 80*.. I just wish the wind would stop.....
Everyone have a great day....
Raquettedacker, StonecoldCat, masoneddie, Whopper Stopper, anderson_dc

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1917 on: May 24, 2015, 05:50 AM »
Morning Jeff, Whopper, Raquette, Fella's,
Raquette, I had problems as well trying to post.
50* here this am, sunny with a high of 78 forecasted. Looks like we'll getting rain coming in with higher temps this week coming.
Planning on a little barbecue with the family later, hope to get a little fishing in tonight.
Cut up a few older planks from my scaffold to make a raised garden. Going to keep it small with a few tomatoes, cukes, peppers, and zucchini....see how that goes.
Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend!   

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1918 on: May 24, 2015, 07:13 AM »
52* this morning. Rain is on its way. It shows on the radar coming out of Chicago.

Fairly quiet around the lake so far. I walked down to see what the neighbor caught when he came back to his dock from fishing. He had a nice bunch of sunnies, gills, and perch. As I was standing on the dock I looked down between the boards and saw a dead perch floating. It was a 14 inch plus jumbo. Luckily we did not have the fish kill we experienced in 2014.

I hope that it does not rain to much tomorrow as there is a 40 acre flea market a couple of miles from home. You have to go early or you can not walk through the crowd.

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1919 on: May 24, 2015, 07:27 AM »
Morning everyone. Lots of boats going in yesterday. Lake wasn't busy, just people getting their boats in the water for the summer and getting their camps opened up. May get the garden in today...h2l
Northville, NY

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.