Author Topic: 9:45 on a Tuesday..  (Read 1607519 times)

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
Re: 9:45 on a Tuesday..
« Reply #9660 on: Aug 15, 2017, 05:31 AM »

Good morning I-45, ER's,
                      It's 61* and cloudy here on my hill, showers in the forecast today. >:(
                      I-45......That's a nice commute a 1/2 hour instead of 1.5 hours but tat's a price I would pay to live
             away from the hustle and bustle of city life! :thumbsup:
                      Steve........Yes for helping with the pigs and other things! I hope you're all settled in your new place! :flex:
                      I got the rest of the wood I needed to finish my woodshed yesterday afternoon, so if the showers hold off I
             will be working on that today! I also bought the hardware for sliding doors and I put up a weather station on the
             woodshed that my wife gave me for Christmas! Boy retirement is tiring!
                      I hope everyone has a good Tuesday either at work or out on the water!

IW 

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9661 on: Aug 15, 2017, 07:36 AM »
Good Morning ER's it's a little closer to ice. I'm hoping fall rolls in soon. Working on some cars just sucks. What are these designers thinking. Did a couple GM runs and they were very good. IW don't get too busy being tired. Have a good Monday all. Iff have fun with your family.

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9662 on: Aug 15, 2017, 08:36 AM »
Not much going on around here. We got one of the wife's Drs. appointments out of the way and one more for her later in the week. I have to finish the replacement of the of the service doo in the garage. with the way the original was installed I have to do some figuring to get the new one installed right.

They lost a restaurant in Rockford that was famous for it's hot dogs, yesterday. It was the first brick building built in the town over 100 ears ago. The fire started at 5 am in a dumpster out back but the heat blew the gas meter, burning the whole place down. We were already scheduled for an Arthritice Assn. fund raiser there next spring. So much for that now. A dumpster fire starting that long after the place closed sounds suspicious to me.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #9663 on: Aug 15, 2017, 08:50 AM »
Good morning early risers. My area received some rain over night more forecast for later today. Looks like North Korea's leader has backed down for the moment. I saw on the news where Iran's leader is upset with sanctions on weapons grade uranium production says his country could get back to pre-sanction levels in a short period of time.
IFF sounds like you will be busy with room remodel once the store closes. May the weather cooperate and your granddaughter gets to Pike's Peak.
Icefisher-45 enjoy the shorter commute.
Ice Wanderer you sound like another retiree I know busier then ever with projects.
Old Goat may your daughter have a good year at college.
Guessing Eddie and Whopper Stopper had early starts to their work days and will post later.
Wallyworld you getting a little extra sleep now that the grandchildren are back home.
Good Morning Mr.Turkey sorry to hear about the restaurant fire.

Have a safe and good day. Best to all fishing.
Steve

Offline wallyworld

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9664 on: Aug 15, 2017, 06:08 PM »
Evening all,

Hit the lake this morning, picked up 2 legal eyes and 1 short. Things sure have changed since the last outing. 

See everyone is still doing ok  :)  Been a bit busy the past few days, haven't  been on here much.  Hope everyone has a great night  ;)

Stay safe.

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #9665 on: Aug 15, 2017, 06:37 PM »
Good Evening All,
  Had a 5am start this morning and fell short on time to post...fealt like one of those mornings I wished I could have just stayed in bed. Starting at 5 again tomorrow and probably Thursday as well, so figured this to be the best time to post in case I hit the snooze button in the morn!   ;D

Steve...we had some rain come in late last evening and into the early hours as well. Shaped up to be a decent day today and no rain fell on our concrete pour!  ;D. How's everything going on your new home front?
  Tom..good luck with the replacement door, that's too bad about the restaurant...love those old historic brick buildings, they seem to take a part of you with them when they come down.
  OG...I'm with you on the ice and arrival of Fall...my 2 favorite times of the year!   :thumbsup: :icefish:
  Jeff...thanks for sharing the pictures, and  :thumbsup: to the photographer!! Hope the rains stayed away today and you got a chance to do some more work on the shed! That's great about working out a deal with MW on the wood!   :thumbsup:
  I-45...good deal on the new workplace and shorter drive!   :thumbsup:
  Bud...glad to hear the grandchildren made it there safe and sound! Pikes Peak is awesome, hope the weather cooperates. I recall Garden Of The Gods being a big hit when we had company out there too...food for thought.
  Marv...hope all is well with the tree surgeons and you had a safe day today Sir!   :thumbsup:
  Wally...kind of thought you and Mr.WW were out on a long bike trip or fishing...nice job on the catching! :thumbsup:
  H2...did you land on the walleyes again?

Sure is quiet here now that everyone has gone back home. Stress level is no longer red lined, cooking for the masses has come to a halt, and things are getting back to normal again here....bittersweet I'd have to say, certainly enjoyed the company!
  The newlyweds left for Spain this am, hoping they have the time of their lives! Mentioned that to a co worker today, his reply was " oh man that's great...it's loaded with nude beaches! "  Not sure if that's on the agenda or not...doubt I'll see any pictures if it is...good grief!   :roflmao:
  Well, hoping you all have a great evening and a better day tomorrow... :thumbsup:

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9666 on: Aug 15, 2017, 07:59 PM »
Good Evening Eddie, Pikes Peak has many attractions in the neighborhood, good point.  But I am in no way going to tag along.  The outing with the boat was like trying to herd a bunch of cats. ;D ::)  I cut it a little short as we had a nasty looking Thunder cloud creeping in, and got off the water.  They took lots of pictures, of all the big smiles.  We had lunch on the boat, of pulled pork sandwiches.  Reminded them to get the sun screen on, so no one got a burn.

Don't know if I mentioned the shooting that took place near the boat launch I use at Cherry Creek State park, got a little more info from the boat inspector, that got passed on.  That happened Sunday late afternoon, and the victim is now known to have died as a result of the shooting.  The search for the shooter is ongoing.

We went to the store before heading to the lake, to check things out.  While sitting at the stop light waiting to make the left turn from the south bound lanes.  We were startled by a car traveling south in the north bound lanes at a high rate of speed like 90 to 100 mph is my guess barely missing cars in the north bound lanes.  Before our light turned we could see dust/smoke in the distance.  Checking the Grand Son's I-phone we see the resulting accident. which amounted to 3 other vehicles horribly damaged from the head on crashes one being over turned from the impact.  The one that went pass us was upright....that is what was left of it.  One also was on fire by the time first responder's arrived one person was ejected and 3 were airlifted to near by hospitals.  Sure glad our traffic signal had not changed.  Shudder  :woot:

Wally, still better than getting a skunk  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Bud

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9667 on: Aug 16, 2017, 03:12 AM »
Good Morning Everyone :bow:

Eddie glad to hear the nerves are off life support :thumbsup: I can only imagine how the stress levels red lined with such an event, coupled with all the company. Hope you have a Great day Sir!

WW slim pickings are certainly better than the alternative. Glad to hear you found a few fish :thumbsup:

IW hope you were able to continue on with the woodshed. Rain sure can screw things up.

Once again short of time. We have a big project scheduled for this morning but things are shaky with the weather. Yesterday they were calling for a wash out for today, then late last night it was changed to morning rain, a big break,  then rain from mid afternoon through Thursday mid day. I will have to double check before firing up the Buick to see what's going on as it is raining in the jungle now.

We are taking off tomorrow morning through Saturday for northern MN. I doubt I will have any phone reception up there so I will have to catch up with you all later.

Hope the rest of your week goes well :thumbsup:

Good luck if pounding the water, stay safe!

WS

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #9668 on: Aug 16, 2017, 04:27 AM »

Good morning WS, Good morning ER's,
                          Happy Hump Day from my hill, it's 60* and very dark outside, the days are getting shorter that means
                  ice season will be here soon! :thumbsup:
                          Eddie.........I'm glad to hear that things are back to normal at home, I know weddings can be very stressful
                  and having to house a lot of out of town guest just adds to the stress level. I'm glad to hear you are back to your
                  old self! :flex:
                          Wally.........Fishing is ever changing so when the fishing is good then one should keep it up till it stops, I know
                  there are other things in life that has to be done. I hope the Eyes start up for you again! :thumbsup:
                          Marv.........Well the rain never arrived here yesterday, the sky looked like rain but it never came so I was able
                  to work on my shed, pictures to follow. I hope you have a good trip, take some pictures! :woot:
                          Bud.........I didn't hear about the shooting on the news, this world is getting crazy, last week two brothers in
                  their late 70's got into an argument and one brother shot the other then shot himself just 5 miles from my home. :cookoo:
                         I-45........Have a safe day hauling roll offs.
                         Yesterday I got the front door built and hung, the door was heavier than I expected and had a time moving it
                  around and in place bur got it done. When I turned around my wife was up on the back deck video taping it all.
                  here are some pictures!
                           Front door in place

Just showing it open

The weather station above the roof

The console inside

Today I will get the back door built and hung, and that should be it except for the handles which I might
                get today or tomorrow!
                         I hope everyone has a great day either at work or at play!

IW

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9669 on: Aug 16, 2017, 05:46 AM »
Wood shed looks great Jeff...
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #9670 on: Aug 16, 2017, 05:51 AM »
Wood shed looks great Jeff...
               Thanks Dom.

IW

Offline wallyworld

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9671 on: Aug 16, 2017, 06:26 AM »
Morning all,

IW.....shed looks great  :thumbsup: :clap:  bet that video is a hoot  :woot:  we got hit hard with rain around 4:00 yesterday afternoon, lots of wind & heavy downpours  >:(  didn't last more than 30 minutes, but no one was home & ALL the windows were open  :%$#!:  needless to say there was some clean up involved, especially where the plant blew over  :-\
WS.....hope your day works out for you & the rain holds off  @) safe travels  :)
IFF....there certainly are some crazies out there  :cookoo: :%$#!:  glad you missed being in the line of fire in both cases (no pun intended)
Eddie...takes a few days to unwind from all the stress & excitement of company & the wedding, glad things are returning to normal for you  ;D  hope you don't see pictures of the honeymoon that you can never unsee after  :roflmao: :whistle: :blink:
MrC....hope the new place is starting to feel like home  ;)2
TT....hope the doctor appts go well for your wife  :thumbsup:  too bad about the restaurant  :'(
OG.....best wishes to your daughter as she begins the school year  :)

Have a good day at work or play. Stay safe.

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9672 on: Aug 16, 2017, 06:47 AM »
Good Morning. It has been busy. SIL and her daughter are here for a few days. Wife took them up to Blue Mt. Lake yesterday. Wife said they have added a lot. I stayed home and did laundry. I did get fishing on Monday. I did get 10 or 12 walleyes, kept 3 for my daughter. I marked a lot of fish but they weren't very active.
IW the shed is looking good.
WW, stay after the walleyes, it will pick up again. This is the first stable weather we have had this summer.
Eddie, it is always nice to have company, but just as nice when they leave. Ours are leaving today. SIL is fine, her daughter lived in Europe and all you hear is how great it is there and how bad it is here. By the time they leave I have just about chewed my tongue off. Whatever you do, DO NOT use the word Trump....lol
Have a good day....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9673 on: Aug 17, 2017, 03:06 AM »
Good Morning Everyone,
  Clear and 53* in the Hilltowns this am, high of 77 expected here today.

H2..nice job again on the walleyes!  :thumbsup:  It's interesting hearing about your niece...most all of my DIL's family I spoke with at the wedding from England loved it here, especially the younger ones in their mid 20's.
  Wally...good luck if you're fishing today! Will be very selective on the pictures I take a peek at.... :roflmao:
  Jeff...the shed looks great, nice touch with the weather station....that's awesome!   :clap: :thumbsup:   Thanks for sharing all the pictures...wondering if the video needs to be editited a bit??    ;D
  Marv...hope yesterday's job went well and the weather cooperated. Have a great trip Sir, best of luck with the fishing!    :thumbsup:
  Bud...hope the grandchildren are enjoying their stay. Darn scarey story about the car and the shooting, wow! Any updates on either of them?

Today's concrete pour was cancelled and rescheduled for Monday, couldn't get an early delivery. Imagine we'll be ripping out and resetting more granite curbs along the street as well as the old concrete sidewalks.
  The newlyweds sent some pictures yesterday to my wife of Barcelona, mostly architecture...no beaches!!  ;D.  It looks beautiful and they're having a great time!
   Well, time to get ready for the days events....cawfee's on!
Have a great day all, be safe, best of luck to those fishing!

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #9674 on: Aug 17, 2017, 04:36 AM »

for a while
                   Good morning Eddie, ER's,
                          It's 43* here on my hill, I hope we reach 76* today. It really feels like fall is here! :flex:
                          Eddie........Glad to hear the newlyweds are having a good time on their honeymoon! :thumbsup:
                          Marv........What's up for today, are you doing a side job?
                          h2l..........I'm glad that you are still on the eyes. :clap:
                          Bud........How are your grand children liking their visit?
                          WW........The video is funny to me, ny wife sent it to my phone, I will try and see if I can get it here!
                          I want to thank everyone one on the comments about my woodshed, it is officially done, maybe some staining
                   but not for a while! I said to my wife last night "Now that the shed is done, now what do I do"! No reply!
                         I hope everyone has a good Thursday either at work or out fishing!

IW

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9675 on: Aug 17, 2017, 05:40 AM »
Up early to get the boss to an early Drs. appointment. I got woke up a little earlier than I planed by a big clap of thunder. Looking at the radar the rain is about over for now. That will make traveling in the rush hour traffic a lot better this morning.

Reading all of Eddies early starts to work, I finally realized why they can start so early. It gets light a lot earlier on that side of the eastern time zone than it does here on the far west side of it. DUH. It also brought back the memory of a gal coming out with a shot gun when we woke her up at daylight so we could get started shingling garage next to her place. It had been so hot that we had to start early to keep from destroying the shingles walking on them. We told her to keep the shot gun handy as we would be starting at the same time the next day to do the other side of the garage.

I tried to find some 1x6 treated to retrim the garage service door I had put in. The one place I looked, it looked like rough sawn as you could still see the band saw marks. The other place only had #3 grade so I did not even look at it. At Menards it was a quarter mile walk to where it was. The only way you could drive in to see it was pay first. Then have to get your money back if it is junk. I will try again today in the city.

IW I wish I had a nice place to store fire wood like your new shed. The last place I burned a lot of wood I had room for a few cords of it in the basement plus a big  stair well that held at least another full cord. I always put down diazanon on the floor incase I missed some ants in the fire wood.

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9676 on: Aug 17, 2017, 12:37 PM »
Geeze Heard about the terror attack in Spain, Hope the newly weds were not in that area.

Whats Marv up to today ?
Bud

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9677 on: Aug 18, 2017, 03:28 AM »
 Good Morning Everyone,
  Thoughts and prayers going out to all the innocent victims in yesterday's terrorist attack in Barcelona.

Received a phone call from my wife yesterday shortly after 11am at the work place...that normally wouldn't happen unless something was very important. She asked me to stay calm and explained that a terrorist attack had just taken place moments ago in Barcelona and she didn't want me to hear it from the news or elsewhere.
  Both my wife and Brittany's parents had sent messages to the kids immediately and were waiting on a response. Talk about feeling helpless...
  My son responded back about 10 minutes later and they were fine. They had actually left Barcelona about an hour earlier to go see a small town. He stated they had spent a better part of their day in that section of the town on Wednesday...Thanking the good Lord above!
   Short on time at the moment, but will keep you updated on any information I receive...it's been a long sleepless night.

Offline wallyworld

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9678 on: Aug 18, 2017, 05:42 AM »

Eddie.....I am SO glad to hear your son & d-i-l are ok !!!!!!!!!!!  Saw the report on the news & immediately sent a prayer for their safety. May the victims RIP  :'( :angel   

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9679 on: Aug 18, 2017, 06:11 AM »
Eddie, glad all is well. As soon as I heard of the attack I thought of you and the kids. We do live in a very different world today and I don't think it is going to change soon.

Had my butt handed to me yesterday on the lake. Started in the weeds and all I could catch were SMB so I moved. Between 9am and 3pm I boated 1 (ONE) walleye. That was 13 inches. The fish were there, I just couldn't get them to take anything. But I didn't come home empty handed. Ran into a friend who was fishing yesterday, he brought me some yellow squash, tomatoes and some venison sweet sausage. On top of that he had caught THREE walleyes.
Have a good day. Going with the wife to Albany for a Dr's appt....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline wallyworld

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9680 on: Aug 18, 2017, 06:22 AM »
H2L.....been there, done that  :roflmao: :woot:  things have definitely slowed for some reason, should pick up again as the weather changes into fall  ;)2 safe travels & good luck at the docs.

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #9681 on: Aug 18, 2017, 06:25 AM »

Good morning ER's,
                       I too as well thought of Eddie's son and new daughter-in-law when I heard of the attack, I'm glad to hear
               that they are safe. My prayers go out to all the victims and their families.
                      It's 63* and we have had .43" of rain according to my new weather station here on my hill. I am suppose to
               be able to link my weather station to my computer and to a weather web site but that' is something I have to work
               on. ???
                      I hope everyone has a good Friday either at work or out and about!

IW

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #9682 on: Aug 18, 2017, 09:34 AM »
Good morning early risers. I heard about things in Barcelona on the car radio this morning after working a graveyard shift. My thoughts turned to Eddie's son & DIL glad to hear they are safe. Prayers said for all the victims and injured.
IFF happy to read you avoided being in a serious car accident. Hope you are having a great time with the grandchildren.
Whooper Stopper a safe journey to northern MN. may the fish be more cooperative then on your float trip
Hunts2long good friend to share the vegetables and sausage may you get into some keeper walleye next trip.
Ice Wanderer you have put a lot of nice touches into the wood shed between the weather sang sliding door.
Mr. Turkey did your wife receive a good report from hr doctor.

Have a safe and good day. Best to all fishing.
Steve

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9683 on: Aug 19, 2017, 05:10 AM »
Good Morning Everyone,
  Clear and 65* this am, high of 79 expected here today. We received about 1 3/4" of rain here yesterday according to local news, no need to water the garden again this weekend!

The newlyweds are doing fine and making the most of their honeymoon..actually just sent them a text and waiting on a reply.
  Thank You all for your concern....very much appreciated!   :thumbsup:   

Steve...hope things are going well at your new homestead!   :thumbsup:
  Jeff...was wondering if you got nailed with the early afternoon rains that blew through yesterday, it pounded here! Good luck linking up the weather station...way out of my league!    ;D
  H2...agree, it's a screwed up world we're in for certain. Hope the Dr.'s appt. went well and good luck with the next fishing trip!    :thumbsup:
  Wally...thank you so much, Friday can't come soon enough!  Good luck to you and Mr.WW if you're heading out in the boat today!    :thumbsup:
  OG...I hope you find an envelope from NY in your mailbox today!   :icefish:
  Marv...hope you and the ladies are enjoying yourselves and the fish are cooperating! Looking forward to your report Sir!    :thumbsup:

We got shut down due to weather early again yesterday, no complaints as I wasn't really into my zone anyway.
  Spent the remainder of the day with my grandchildren, snuck a little nap in and caught two Little League World Series Elimination Games....another sign summer is almost over!!   :clap: :thumbsup:
  Looking at two side jobs today and kicking around the idea of a night trip for some trout this evening if the weather holds.
   Cawfee's on....

Offline wallyworld

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9684 on: Aug 19, 2017, 05:33 AM »
Morning all,

Been in PA the past couple of days. Entered a drawing back in March at an outdoor show for an overnight trip to Warren County, PA and I actually won the drawing  :o :clap: :thumbsup:  What a nice area, about 30 minutes over the NY/PA line out by Fredonia NY.  They put us up at the Hampton Inn, gave us a $50 gc to a place called Ribs & Bones and a $25 gc to The Train Station.....mmmmmm great food at both places!!!  We spent Thursday exploring the hiking trails and checking out the scenery in the Allegheny National Forest, very pretty country. We went to the Zippo/Case museum which actually turned out quite interesting  ;D  then drove to Mt Jewett to take a walk on the Kinzua Skywalk, which is the remains of a viaduct that was mostly destroyed by a tornado in 2003. (Some pretty interesting history if anyone wants to look it up) Then we decided to spend Thursday night there instead of driving 5 hours home after a very busy day. So we didn't get back till yesterday late afternoon. I want to thank Dave at the Warren County Visitor Center for putting together the whole thing for us......it really was a "no strings attached" drawing, they just want people to see what they have to offer for tourists  ;)  Oh I almost forgot, there was a welcome basket in our room containing some snacks and 2 mini bottles of champagne !!!!

Eddie....hope the"kids" are still safe & sound.  so scary to have something like that happen so close. any plans for an early return home ?
WS.....hope your trip is going well sir  ;)
IW.....have one of the grandkids link the station to your laptop, probably take them 2 minutes  :woot:

Have a good Saturday at work or play. Stay safe.

Morning Eddie......you & I were typing at the same time I guess  :)  Glad to hear the newlyweds are doing ok  :thumbsup: may things remain calm & quiet for the remainder of their trip ;) 

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #9685 on: Aug 19, 2017, 05:39 AM »

Good morning Eddie, ER's,
                      It's 63* with clear skies here on my hill, we had 1.71" of rain yesterday and overnight we got another .10"
              The new weather station sure is helpful! :flex:
                      Eddie........I'm glad that the kids in Spain are doing well and all is safe. I haven't tried linking my weather
              station but the directions are pretty informative and I don't think it will be a problem! :thumbsup: I got a message from
              Marv the other day and his trip north is a act of kindness trip. An older gentleman he knows lives alone and Marv went
              up there to cut split and stack his firewood for this up coming winter! :clap: :flex: :thumbsup:
                     h2l........As you stated, this world is getting crazy, I was hoping things would be settling down but things are getting
              worse. When does it all end?
                     Not much going on here, my wife's son is here with his daughter and he is taking her and my oldest granddaughter
              to a trampoline park today and I think my wife and I might go along to watch!
                     I got a call from one of my hunting partners that goes to our Hunting camp in northern Maine and has asked if I
              could go up with him and two other friends Labor Day weekend to repair the roof to our camp. So that's what I'll be doing
              that weekend. I'll have to get my fishing license so I can try to get some Brookies to eat while we're there!
                     I hope everyone has a good Saturday either at work or out fishing, Eddie I hope you get out tonight!

IW

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #9686 on: Aug 19, 2017, 08:01 AM »
Good morning early risers ,I see Mealworm and Tom Turkey are on-line so either one of them may beat me posting to this thread. Sunny start to the day here maybe some fast moving showers or thunder storms later in the day. I'm still bouncing between the house and condo going to move some more things to the condo today and then metting a long time friend for dinner.
Eddie glad to hear the newlyweds are alright and enjoying there honey moon . May they not have to many hassles coming home I'm sure security messure are at heightened levels . Good luck getting the side jobs and with the fishing.
Wallyworld sounds like a great trip ,smart idea by Warren County ,PA. department of tourism to have such a contest to promote their area . You mat want to visit the Reading, Pa. area some time it is now know for it's outlet malls also Cabelas has one of the chains larger store nearby in Hamburg,PA. and you are close to Lancaster know for it's large Amish population. Family friends live near Reading so I've viited Cabelas a couple times store even has a fresh water aquarium and restaurant that serves some wild game meals. I agree IW's grand kids will probably be able to link the weather station to his computer in a short time advantage of growing up while all this new technology is developing.
Ice Wanderer nice that your mixed family grand children canget to know each other better while having some fun. Don't you or the wife try anything crazy at the trampoline park. Enjoy the trip to Maine I've only been in the southeastern corner of that state vacationing in Wells. I hope you do not have to pay a large sum for nonresident fishing license.

I forgot to mention earlier in this post big weekend for my sister and her family my nephew reports for college on Sunday first week is new student activities with classes starting on Monday the 29TH. Also Whopper Stopper  :clap: :clap: :thumbsup: :bow: for helping your older friend prepare for Winter and still keep his independence.

Have a safe and good weekend folks. If fishing may this be the day or weekend you set some personal best records.
Steve

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9687 on: Aug 19, 2017, 04:19 PM »
Good Afternoon everyone :bow:

The last couple of days have me dragging, but luckily I still have a day to rest up before heading back to work. A few people had wondered what I was up to as I hadn’t posted in the last couple days; no I didn’t go north fishing, and actually I went myself. I wasn’t going to mention anything but after a couple of successful days in the north woods, I figured why not share. I might as well start at the beginning, which brings us back about 12 years........

I was fishing on a lake about an hour from the Canadian border in 2005. I had heard of a good crappie bite so I took a couple of days off and made the drive. There was enough ice to drive around on the lake but as is often the case in the north, the snow had added up and there was a lot of flooding taking place. I drove my chained S-10 out on one of the snake trails and started fishing. I noticed an old ford pickup about 150 yards from me and it appeared it was an older guy sitting on a bucket next to it. I spent about 5 hours drilling holes and picked up a few fish as I went. I also noticed the pickup hadn’t moved a whole lot and there was a weather system moving in that looked ugly.

I decided it was time to get off the lake being the visibility was deteriorating fast.  I also decided to check out the old guy and just make sure all was well. I couldn’t get all the way up to him so I walked the last 50 yards and found he had folded up his fishing stick but had become stuck in a smaller slush pocket. It took some doing and a lot of digging and rocking, but I finally helped him get his truck moving. He just drove off heading for the access, when I got back to my truck it was drifted in but I was able to rock it and eventually get it headed to shore also.

The guy was waiting for me when I hit the access and was as thankful as anyone could be for the help I gave him. He wasn’t physically in the best of shape and said he was getting scared given the situation, but he figured the fish would start biting and he just stayed too long. He was bound and determined to pay me for helping and it wasn’t easy getting him to take NO for an answer. He said he lived a short ways from the lake and asked if I would at least come to his house for supper with him and his wife. I really wasn’t very excited about going to a strange house to eat, let alone 215 miles from home well out in the sticks. I finally said I would come to his house but just for a cup of coffee before starting the long drive home in the falling snow.

I found out his name was Oliver and his wife was Elsa a couple of full blood Finlanders. They lived in an old house well off the road about 12 miles from the lake I had met him on. Somehow he forgot all about the “just coffee” and had Elsa preparing an excellent meal shortly after we walked in. We had rabbit and gravy with boiled potatoes and string beans with home baked bread. Simply put, it was delicious.

That night I ended up staying the night and have kept in touch with Oliver ever since. Oliver is now 88 and Elsa passed in 2014, taking much of Ollie’s heart with her. Ollie is going to have to leave his old house soon as he is getting slower and health issues are taking over. He and Elsa had no kids so he’s very uncertain what the future will hold although he does have a couple of relatives up that way.

This summer I found out he was short on wood for the coming winter, so Thursday I loaded up the old Buick and made the 215 mile drive to get his wood supply in order. I told Ollie if this is going to be your last winter in the house, I was going to make damn sure he didn’t freeze to death.

I got there about noon and was met at the door by Ollie whom had bought a sack of plain doughnuts to share. The first three hours were spent cutting in the rain, but then things cleared and I continued cutting right up to dark. When I came to the house it was filled with the smell of ham and Potato dumplings. The old scutter makes the best potato dumplings I have ever eaten and he glows whenever I tell him that because an old German woman taught him how to make them.

The last couple of days have been a lot of things. It has been exhausting, emotional, and it has been a lot of fun. Ollie tells some good stories and I have no doubt where ever he lands he will be a welcomed guest. It made me feel good when leaving earlier today that at least if he wants to spend another full winter in his own house he will be warm doing it. It also made me feel good looking at his smiling face full of plug chewing tobacco as I drove off with him waving goodbye.

We cut and split about 4 cords of wood which with what he had will get him by 

Going up Ollie's driveway I spotted this buck (poor picture)

Had this bear walk up while Ollie was explaining how to open a can of beer Lol

Ollie doesn't like pictures and is scared of the internet. I had to leave my phone in the car at night because he didn't want anything getting on the web Lol ???

WS

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9688 on: Aug 19, 2017, 04:39 PM »
WS
You are what the world is all about, or should be any way!!!

What you did the last few days will not be forgotten by the old Finlander. The times I spent among the old Fins and Swedes in the UP of Michigan in my youth will never be forgotten. All of those I made friends with back then are now all gone.

Online OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #9689 on: Aug 19, 2017, 05:59 PM »
WS, that was a very well written post!  :thumbsup: :clap: :bow: It's so seldom that someone gets the opportunity to do an act of kindness such as you did!! I'm sure Oliver will think of you every time he builds a fire!! It's too bad that this might be his last winter in his home, but at least he'll be warm and cozy!! Well done Sir!!!!

OS
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.