Author Topic: 9:45 on a Tuesday..  (Read 1623148 times)

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: 9:45 on a Tuesday..
« Reply #2400 on: Jul 29, 2015, 05:04 AM »
Supposed to cool down a little. Gr finally hit 90*. Now what will the weather people have to talk about. I wish it would be rain actually in an amount to do some good. We were forecast to get some this morning.  NOT!!

One of my paper customers was an old gent that had been in on the passenger pigeon slaughter. Though it was sad to see them slaughtered into extinction his stories were intriguing especially to a 10 year old.

I treated an old couple with respect and would help them out if I could. This ended with a friend ship with their three sons that lasted till all three passed away. One of the boys actually gave me the rights to trap his lands as long as he was alive. He owned close to a thousand acres.

Up early as it is the wife's turn for an early Drs. appointment.

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2401 on: Jul 29, 2015, 04:05 PM »
Just checking in. I have been in the bait shop all week. Open about 6:30. It hasn't been very busy with the heat. I know I wouldn't set in a boat with it around 90 everyday. Mornings have been nice and was hoping to go early on Thursday but the guy that was to come into the shop can't so will be there. The walleye fishing has been very good from what I hear...Everyone stay cool....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2402 on: Jul 30, 2015, 03:30 AM »
Good Morning ER’s! Did I hear right, it’s Thursday?  :bow:

Yesterday was a breath of fresh air; it almost felt cool out compared to Monday and Tuesday. Less is supposed to hang around a couple of more days before Morrie returns.

Eddie being its pay day it might be time for that new phone. A camouflage one with camera, video, and ZOOM! ;D

Hope things went well for your wife at the Dr. visit Tom. :thumbsup:

Good luck on the pile IW! Don’t over do it!

Have a great Thursday mr .clean.

Yesterday afternoon I spotted this little guy in the back yard

Always fun to see.

I am late, me and the Buick are Jungle bound.

No matter what the plans……….Stay safe!

WS

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #2403 on: Jul 30, 2015, 03:44 AM »
Good Morning Whopper, Morning Guys,
Awesome picture Whopper! Gets the blood flowing.... :clap: Hope you have a good day in the jungle, be safe and stay hydrated....thanks for the picture!   :thumbsup:
It's supposed to be slightly cooler today than yesterday if 88 is cool... man it was a hot one! Not quite sure what it topped out at yesterday, but I saw a picture of Raquettes post showing just under 100.
Mr.C...we'll add some extra water to the concrete mix periodically (when allowed) to make it looser and easier to work with, especially towards the end of the truck, but other than that, no special additives are in the the mix we are using. Some of the areas directly around the Empire State Plaza are pretty tough inner city areas for sure.
Jeff...the hot weather has certainly brought out the summer fashions... ;D  Take it easy on that wood pile with this heat Sir, plenty of time left before the thermometer starts dropping...stay hydrated.
Running behind this morn, so wishing everyone a great day, be safe with this heat!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #2404 on: Jul 30, 2015, 04:28 AM »
Morning WS,Eddie ,thanks for the photo WS looks like he will have eight points. Eddie thanks for the info. on concrete mix I thought it may dry to fast with the heat or slow if humidity is high. I had temperature similar to Raquettedacker's  yesterday afternoon it must have been well over 100 inside the green houses at his place of work. I'm with Eddie let the wood pile sit until conditions are better Ice Wanderer. Mr Turkey hope you wife's doctor visit resulted in good news.Hunts2long hopefully things cool down so you can get back on the water and business improves at the bait shop.
Use caution when outdoors and make the best of your day.
Steve

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #2405 on: Jul 30, 2015, 04:31 AM »
         Good morning WS, Eddie, Steve, and ER's,
                  Yes yesterday was a hot one, I had trouble breathing at times, the air was so thick. I said to my wife that     
         I can't wait for winter, she jumped all over it, she said summer is short enough don't push. Woman just don't get
         it. To me it's easier to get warm than to stay cool. I hope to cut up the last logs this morning before it gets too warm,
         Then if it's cooler this evening, I'll split it then stack tomorrow morning.
                  I hope everyone has a good day either at work or at play, as the most interesting man in the world says " stay thirsty
         my friends" Oh I should say "Stay Hydrated My Friends". ???

IW

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #2406 on: Jul 31, 2015, 04:00 AM »

Good morning ER's,
                  I got the last of my logs cut and will split and stack today, now that the weather finally broke.
                  Look what wandered in to my yard last night.

i guess he sees me but is undaunted by my presence, I've got some raspberries growing near where he is.
                  I hope you all have a good Friday either at work or at play.

IW 

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2407 on: Jul 31, 2015, 04:08 AM »
Good Morning IW, Morning Everyone!

It felt good to sleep in a bit this morning. Excellent picture IW :thumbsup:

I have a few things on the list today, one of them I am not real happy about. I decided winterize my boat and bring it back up north for storage. Just way too many things going on and the last thing I want are for some mice to move in to it. I figure if something happens and I find some extra time I will just go get it, I never even had it out once this Summer.

Tomorrow it’s back to a side jobs

No matter what the plans………. Stay safe everyone!

WS

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #2408 on: Jul 31, 2015, 04:35 AM »
Good morning IW,WS early risers I also had a visitor last night a doe feeding in the side yard. She froze in my headlights then turned and left. Sorry no pictures. Ice Wanderer be careful when out in your yard you never know if the bear is a sow with cubs . Thursday was another hot and humid day a little rain but more is needed  most of my lawn is drying out and turning brown. Whopper Stopper sorry to hear about the boat ,I have not been out fishing since this January.
Be careful when out in the heat , have a good day everyone and great week end.
Steve

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #2409 on: Jul 31, 2015, 06:35 AM »
Good morning all!

Mr. Clean, I have only been out fishing once, hoping to remedy that soon...

IW, that's awesome!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2410 on: Jul 31, 2015, 06:51 AM »
Good Morning. Don't have to work at the bait shop. Have a few things to get done around here. Glad the heat is gone. Class reunion on Sat. (55years) It should be fun. Have a good day...h2l
Northville, NY

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #2411 on: Aug 01, 2015, 04:20 AM »
Welcome to August everyone getting closer to the 2015-16 ice fishing season . Friday was a better day then earlier in the week only hit the low nineties and less humidity. I was off from work yesterday in the evening took a trip to north western part of my county to Pinebush,NY. they have a free summer concert series. Last nights band was House of 80s the play mainly music from artists that were popular in the 1980's. First time seeing this band not a bad sounding group .
Bart welcome to the early risers group hope your enjoying the summer. My area is supposed to get a break from the hot humid weather this week highs only in the seventies on Wednesday. I welcome the change do not deal well with the heat and humidity.
Enjoy your weekend and get out fishing if possible.
Steve

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #2412 on: Aug 01, 2015, 04:31 AM »
              Good morning ER's,
                     Happy Saturday and the !st of August, we're getting closer to ice season.
                     the weather here yesterday was absolutely beautiful, temp was in the high 70's and very low humidity. And I got my
              wood done. Remember just a couple of weeks ago I posted this picture:

well now it looks like this

and this is the end result, I measured it our to be 7.9 cords, but with some of the gaps because of the size of my wood
              I put it at 7 cords.

I hope everyone has a great day either at work or at play or at work.

IW

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2413 on: Aug 01, 2015, 06:08 AM »
Good Morning mr.clean,IW. Good Morning Everyone!

Excellent looking wood pile IW  :thumbsup:

Chance of storms later this afternoon, until then I have a side job to work on.

Yesterday a Mom and her two crazy kids paid a visit

Always fun to watch.

Have a safe Saturday.

WS

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2414 on: Aug 01, 2015, 06:58 AM »
Nice IW, hey is that an outdoor woodstove? How does that work  out for ya?

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2415 on: Aug 01, 2015, 07:04 AM »
Morning. Nice stack of firewood you have there IW. I have a guy coming this week to give us a price on a gas insert. Couldn't burn firewood last year, so thinking gas is the way to go. Missed the heat that you get from burning wood but didn't miss the work that goes with it. May try to get on the lake Sunday morning and see if the walleyes have missed me.....Have a good day...h2l
Northville, NY

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #2416 on: Aug 01, 2015, 01:25 PM »
Nice IW, hey is that an outdoor woodstove? How does that work  out for ya?
             Yes, that is an outside wood boiler next to my stack of wood. It is an excellent way to heat a home. you get the economics
      of burning  wood and the convenience of central heat, I also get my domestic hot water from it. I fill it twice a day in real cold
      weather, and once a day on warmer days. It burned the same amount of that a wood stove did to heat my house, the only difference
      I still had to heat with oil on the  minus degree days.

IW

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #2417 on: Aug 02, 2015, 04:09 AM »
Good Sunday morning folks . Ice Wanderer do you put some type of cover over the wood pile to protect it from the weather ? Also any sign that the bear paid you a return visit ? Bearsfan make sure an outside wood burning stove is legal in your area. I live in a highly developed suburban town a few years back they placed restrictions on who could have an outdoor wood stove due to air quality issues.
Whopper Stopper another nice photograph your property must have foliage that attracts deer.
Enjoy the rest of the weekend.
Steve

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #2418 on: Aug 02, 2015, 05:10 AM »

Good morning Steve, Good morning ER's,
                    Steve, I have been covering it with a tarp, I take it off when the weather is nice to help dry it out,
           then cover it when it's going to rain. In winter, the tarp is on, I shovel it off as I go, it's kind of a pain in
           the butt to do because of the unevenness of the wood. I have a friend that has a collapsed bar and he
           said I could have the tin, getting it out is the problem, it's unsafe to climb. So I'm getting a grapple hook
           to pull it out.
                     The bear comes back once in a while.

Yes outside wood burners are banned in heavily populated areas, because the the stacks aren't high to get the
           smoke off the ground, one guy around here built a chimney 25' high for his to eliminate that. I live in a
           sparsely populated area and it doesn't bother anyone. I even burn mine in the summer for my domestic hot
           water.
                     I hope everyone has a great Sunday either at work or at play.

IW

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2419 on: Aug 02, 2015, 05:30 AM »
Good Morning Mr.C, Ice,  Morning Guys,
Had some issues with my computer again, think its good to go again...kept freezing up.
58* on the hill this am, high 80's and low 90's coming for the next few days, but in the 70's by mid week!
Jeff...that's a mighty fine looking pile of firewood! Excellent job! Was wondering about the bear returning as well.
Whopper...beautiful picture of the Momma and twins. Thanks for sharing that with us! 
Took on a side job for a friend of mine and set them up during the week after work. 2 concrete slabs, 20x20 and 24x26, poured them yesterday. Stripping forms and clean up this morn, hoping to get a little fishing in some time today.
Well, time to load up the garbage and make a dump run.
Hope everyone enjoys their Sunday, best of luck to those fishing!

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2420 on: Aug 02, 2015, 05:31 AM »
Good Sunday Morning  mr.clean, IW. Eddie! Good Morning ER’s :bow:

Talk about a muggy $%#@&, it isn’t fit for a wood tick out there. Tomorrow we are supposed to get back to better dew points for a couple of days with the temps slipping into the 70’s by the end of the week. :clap:

The deer around here have a smorgasbord when it comes to eats. l usually keep enough corn in the little feeder to hold their interest (doesn't take much) all year long. I have some turkey food out for when the flock comes however the deer usually beat them to it. We have a dollar store in town that sells peanut butter for a buck a jar, so I keep some of that on a fence post for the fawns. Very entertaining watching them try to get it off the roof of their mouths. All the neighbor ladies have flowers and gardens so the deer just make a big circle 3-4 times a day helping themselves. By January they are all gone.

A day of rest for me today, Monday is right around the corner.

Have a safe Sunday no matter what you have going.

WS

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2421 on: Aug 02, 2015, 07:35 AM »
WS---You are being MEAN to those poor fawns. They have my sympathy. I still will not eat a PBnJ sandwich because of how sticky PB was back in the old days. PB was only developed to go in cookies.

IW---- With the wood being stacked loose it will allow it to dry better. The nice part of an outdoor wood burner is that creosote is not as much of a problem. When my brother moved back from AK he was always telling me where I could probably get some fire wood for cheap. It was always pine. Because he only had that kind of woods to burn up there he thought we used them to in our inside stoves.

The phone rang at 9:30 Thursday evening. I was shocked to see on the caller ID that it was my pain Dr. We discussed the implant and he decided we could go ahead. He called back the next day and it is scheduled for the 24th. Can not wait. Maybe I will be able to get back to dong the thing I miss so much.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2422 on: Aug 03, 2015, 02:56 AM »
Good Monday ER’s, Welcome to Monday. :bow:

We had a weather change yesterday and the dew points dropped into the 50’s. They are preaching that temps this week will be September like, can’t wait! :clap:  I spent time getting everything ready for a couple of side jobs I have coming up this coming weekend.

Tick Tock, Tick Tock, time to head for the jungle, an early start today!

For those fishing Good Luck! :thumbsup: For those working have as good of a day as possible, for everyone stay safe!

WS

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2423 on: Aug 03, 2015, 03:02 AM »
Good Monday Whopper, Morning Guys,
Hope very one enjoyed the weekend!
66* this am, high of 90 expected....looks like we'll be seeing temps in the 70's by Wednesday... :clap:
Tom...congrats on the good news! I hope everything works out well for you with the implant Sir!   :thumbsup:
Not quite sure what's on the agenda at work today, but just the thought of cooler temperatures coming in will be enough to keep moral high regardless of what we're up to....a good day for talking ice fishing!   ;D
Whopper...glad to hear the heat and humidity died off for you, be safe in the jungle today!
Hope everyone has a great day, be safe, and best of luck to those fishin'!!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #2424 on: Aug 03, 2015, 04:07 AM »
Good morning Whopper,Eddie  similar weather forecast for my area as Eddie's. I'm about 90 to 100 miles south of where Eddie is working in the state capital of Albany,NY. We could use a day of light rain lawns are turning brown. The renovations/remodel are picking up steam at the store where I work several section of floor in different locations have been dug up and covered with steal plates and throw rugs awaiting new plumbing for relocated or new display cases.
Mr.Turkey ditto Eddie's comments on your upcoming surgery. Hunts2long hope the walleye were biting if you did go fishing yesterday. Ice Wanderer thank you for the info. on your wood pile and outdoor stove. I assume there is some type of pump involved in getting the water out to the stove and back to your house after it is heated. Also guess you are used to seeing bears given your location in upstate NY. On my trips to the Adirondack region of upstate New York remember seeing electric fences around the garbage dumpsters of many business to keep bears out of them .
Make the most of your day everyone and ditto Whopper's and Eddie's comments for all going fishing.
Steve

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #2425 on: Aug 03, 2015, 05:37 AM »

Good morning WS, Eddie, Steve and the ER's,
                     Tom, I'm happy to hear that you are going to get some relief with the implant, good luck with that.
                     WS enjoy the cooler weather, and stay safe in the jungle.
                     Same to you Eddie, I'm sure a change that we're getting in the weather changes everyone's attitude.
                     Steve, there is a circulation pump that runs all the time, it constantly circulates the water from the out
             side boiler through my inside boiler, if you didn't the outside boiler would over heat, and in winter your pipes,
             even though they are insulated, would freeze. When I use the wood boiler in summer there is a lot of residual
             heat coming from the pipe and off the inside boiler, but in winter, it heats my basement quite nicely.
                     I hope everyone has an enjoyable day either at work or at play.

IW 

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2426 on: Aug 03, 2015, 07:02 AM »
55* with highs in the 70's forecast for all week.

We finally got a half inch of rain last night. Along with the rain we got winds probably over 40 mph. I thought we were getting hail but it was debris coming out of the trees behind the house. The whole place is covered with leaves and twigs. Hopefully the choke cherries got blown of the tree by the drive as I spent yesterday after noon scrubbing the cherries and bird dropping off of two cars.

I was in the kitchen getting a snack at sunset. I looked out the window and thought the neighbors house out back was on fire. The clouds had just cleared the horizon revealing the reddest sunset I have ever seen.

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2427 on: Aug 03, 2015, 07:29 AM »
Welcome to a new week. Going to be a warm one today, then some nice weather for the rest of the week.

They say "there is nothing like an old fool." I went fishing on Sunday. Had a good day but there were a lot of jerks on the water. No one slows up for a fishermen and they go close enough to where you can see what kind of beer they are drinking. The walleyes were good to me. 22 in the boat and kept 5 for a friend and his wife. They were very happy, I even cleaned them for them.

Today I rest up. Have a good day....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2428 on: Aug 03, 2015, 08:46 AM »
The boss just got a call from a guy that he had some ones toon tied up to his dock. She keeps the records for the stickers that are supposed to be on all water craft on the lake. It took her only a couple minutes to look up the sticker number on the toon and call the owner of it. It is over a 1/2 mile from where it was docked before last nights storm.

She is OCDC about the records but it paid off as we do not have to get the DNR to look up the MC numbers to return it to the owner. People b***h about having to register their boats but this proves that it pays off. A coul of year ago a paddle boat ended up a mile from it's dock and the finders just treated as if it was their own because of no sticker. Luckily the owners finally found it.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2429 on: Aug 04, 2015, 03:20 AM »
Good Morning ER’s, Welcome to Tuesday. :bow:

The break in humidity was welcomed with open arms; the dew point is sitting at 48 which is near perfect. . Our old buddy less humid is supposed to be around most of the week :thumbsup:

Kind of a somber day for me today, as 13 years ago I said “goodbye” to my Dad. There hasn’t been a day since losing my best friend that I haven’t thought about him, or wished I could spend just a few more minutes visiting with him. I am going to make the 200 mile round-trip drive tonight after work, as I have done every year since his passing, so I can be with him.

Sorry for the rambling, it still hurts.

Good luck to anyone packing a rod or having to work today. Stays safe everyone!

WS

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.