The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Boat help...please help  (Read 1511 times)

Offline S.Fontinalis

• IceShanty Rookie
Boat help...please help
« on: Apr 26, 2014, 07:04 AM »
So I put in my boat it has a leak.

Any one know anything about sealing up a boat.

Offline darkeyez

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Boat help...please help
« Reply #1 on: Apr 26, 2014, 12:07 PM »
 ??? What type of boat; fiberglass, aluminum? What is leaking; seam, rivets?
Good source for anything to do with aluminum boats is -"tinboats.net". If it's rivets that are leaking, and you can get at them, they can be re-bucked (tightened up) or replaced. There are some good marine sealants also available for minor seeps, such as along the transom.
If you don't know where it is leaking, you can partially fill the boat with water, and watch for the leaks.
#1- Make sure none of the thru-hull fittings are leaking, such as a drain plug or live well fittings.

Offline williev18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 07:12 PM »
Dupont 5200 will stick to just about any marine surface, and stop most reasonable size holes. If it is a rivet, replace it, they make replacement rivets just for that, or a small stainless machine screw with an oring on both sides works too.

Offline S.Fontinalis

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jun 18, 2014, 04:47 AM »
Thanks guys.  Fixed it

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #4 on: Jun 18, 2014, 05:32 AM »
I had a friend who drilled a hole right through the bottom of his boat mounting a pump. His boat is fiberglass so I told him to get an old fishing pole and mix up some epoxy. Told him to drive the blank pole into the hole until the taper tightened up. Then cut it off flush. The boat was in the water and he was in a panic.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jun 18, 2014, 06:04 AM »
Thanks guys.  Fixed it

What was the issue??  My little 12' boat leaks so much i practically have a built in livewell  ::)
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline Redneck Fishfinder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jun 18, 2014, 11:44 AM »
I got a slash in my aluminum Jon about 10 years ago and I fixed it and it still doesn't leak. I used Bondo for aluminum... that was a good permanent fix.

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #7 on: Jun 21, 2014, 08:21 AM »
What was the issue??  My little 12' boat leaks so much i practically have a built in livewell  ::)
I have sealed up several small boats with Urethane windshield adhesive. If anyone put a large motor on the boat or you use one, it will vibrate the rivets loose! Most newer boats can take the large motor vibration, but not the old ones.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jul 29, 2014, 01:00 PM »
Fixed up my FIL's 1967 14' Starcraft by rebucking rivets and some JB Weld paste for the seams.  We've had it out several times and it doesn't leak a drop!  You had to have a pail of some kind with you before we fixed it or it was going to be giant livewell in no time.  Also fixed up the 1967 20hp Mercury and she's running like a top.  Fun to use those oldies ... when they work like they're supposed to.

Offline VTWoodchuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 02, 2014, 09:20 AM »
I've fixed a few leaks in aluminum boats by replacing loose rivets with closed end pop rivets.  I might have a couple left if you only have a couple rivets to replace and are near Monkton?  They are a special order item but you'll find them on google.  You can also get a can of 'seam sealer' at any auto store.  Also JB Weld is the duct tape of all purpose repair, it come in a two part epoxy and also a putty stick.
“Anyone can be a fisherman in May.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.