The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Why more than 5 tip-ups?  (Read 1840 times)

Offline leaderma

• IceShanty Rookie
Why more than 5 tip-ups?
« on: Apr 25, 2014, 06:28 PM »
I sit back watching the Sox on TV and finally decided to write on this topic. For the most part, I fish Onota.  For some reason this year there were 4-5 self-professed big time pike fishermen who for some reason had to fish with between 6-10 tip-ups, and worse than that leaving them in overnight and coming back at 8-9 AM to check on them.  One of them said he had to leave them in overnight because his kid would have gottten wet beacause it started raining.  He came back the next morning alone to check on his more than legal limit of tip-ups and bragged he caught 3. I don't consider anyone who does not fish legally a good fisherman no matter what they catch.

Offline JiggerDan

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Why more than 5 tip-ups?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 26, 2014, 07:24 AM »
Using more tip-ups than the law allows and leaving them in overnight is unethical and gives us all a bad name. Call a game warden and report them. Let him explain to the judge his reasoning for leaving them in overnight.
Jesus ain't the only one who walks on water!

Offline lenz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 'Ice Only' Fisherman
« Reply #2 on: Apr 29, 2014, 03:31 PM »
sounds like free tilts to me...
or
take a picture, get a plate number, call the epo

burp
Member of G.O.D.S

One pill makes you larger
And one pill makes you small
And the ones that mother gives you
Don't do anything at all

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Apr 29, 2014, 05:17 PM »

Me too.
"One hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."  Anonymous

Offline manitron

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Apr 30, 2014, 02:51 PM »
Better yet, take the excess tipups then cut and fray off the lines on the 5 you leave.    >:D
Being on ice is nice but the tug is the drug.

Offline BobP

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #5 on: Apr 30, 2014, 03:17 PM »
Tip ups with no one on the ice?   They would be gone when I left.  No excuse.

Offline MrE1979

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it was easy they would call it catching
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 03:39 PM »
Well I would have had an extra 6 - 10 tipups for myself. 
It is MY responsibility to make sure my children can enjoy fishing years from now. Make sure your kids can fish.  If you see something ILLEGAL Contact the Massachusetts Environmental Police Radio Room at 1-800-632-8075 at any hour of the day. They might show up if there is enough staff working.

Offline MeatBall413

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jul 04, 2014, 11:49 AM »
or
take a picture, get a plate number, call the epo

burp

Great Call Lenz!
I always thought my buddies were being nice by letting me walk out first. Then I realized I'm a lot more buoyant than they are.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Jul 04, 2014, 12:18 PM »
Using more tip-ups than the law allows and leaving them in overnight is unethical and gives us all a bad name. Call a game warden and report them. Let him explain to the judge his reasoning for leaving them in overnight.

In my opinion this is the best idea.  Sure taking them sounds like a good idea until the guy comes back, sees you, and called the wardens and has you arrested for "trying to steal them" or a warden shows up and sees you with them and arrests you for having too many tip-ups out.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Aug 05, 2014, 07:48 AM »
in MA, the game wardens have never come when I have called.

Offline MrE1979

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Aug 05, 2014, 04:57 PM »
Yeah I hear ya on that.  I have called a few times and NOTHING from them.  They had 4hrs once to catch 30+ people fishing w/o a fishing license.  That would have paid for the trip out to the pond and then some.  To much paperwork tho.
It is MY responsibility to make sure my children can enjoy fishing years from now. Make sure your kids can fish.  If you see something ILLEGAL Contact the Massachusetts Environmental Police Radio Room at 1-800-632-8075 at any hour of the day. They might show up if there is enough staff working.

Offline F.R.E.D.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Aug 15, 2014, 12:28 PM »
FYI - WHEN you call to report a game law violation request a return call from a officer. I have always received a return call.

Offline Mr.Esox

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keep it hard
« Reply #12 on: Aug 15, 2014, 04:15 PM »
Run them over or break everyone of them and leave them on the ice, I couldn't see them in the dark , Oh Well !!
Mr.Esox

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #13 on: Aug 17, 2014, 10:52 AM »
Yeah I hear ya on that.  I have called a few times and NOTHING from them.  They had 4hrs once to catch 30+ people fishing w/o a fishing license.  That would have paid for the trip out to the pond and then some.  To much paperwork tho.
I was rather shocked they the warden didn't show up that day Ed!!! Especially when the fish & game is what 10 minutes away from the pond! But I forgot those people "were with the church" lol

Offline MrE1979

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Aug 21, 2014, 05:41 PM »
I was rather shocked they the warden didn't show up that day Ed!!! Especially when the fish & game is what 10 minutes away from the pond! But I forgot those people "were with the church" lol

Right but like I told them "Even Jesus needs a fishing permit in MA!"   :roflmao:  The left with cold feet that day

Offline otzi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Aug 22, 2014, 09:26 AM »
There have been times I've thought of setting up more than 5 tip ups but not dropping the line down, sort of like decoys to keep a distance from others setting up near me. Hard part would be to remember which ones were the "live" ones. I wonder how an EPO would handle that one?
Suit up and show up!

Offline JiggerDan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Aug 22, 2014, 11:24 AM »
There have been times I've thought of setting up more than 5 tip ups but not dropping the line down, sort of like decoys to keep a distance from others setting up near me. Hard part would be to remember which ones were the "live" ones. I wonder how an EPO would handle that one?
Why not try it and find out? Probably best to have no line on them.
Jesus ain't the only one who walks on water!

Offline manitron

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Aug 22, 2014, 11:24 AM »

The live ones would let you know by waving flags. As for setting out decoys, I think you would be legally correct if they had empty spools i.e. no line or hooks. However, I am sure others including the EPOs would not be amused.
Being on ice is nice but the tug is the drug.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.